Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to look for in a donor?
w.olly

posted on 20/3/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
What to look for in a donor?

Hi all, now back on line i think for a Locost build, now what i want to do is get a shopping list of what i need, now as its the donor section i am in this is a short list LOL

BUT what can i choose from or mainly what i need to look for in my donor. To give an idea of what i want is...

4x4 drive if possible.
Min 200BHP.
And i love good V engine

I will be building a chassis from scratch myself so that can be built to suit the engine running/gear.

I could of had a complete 4.2 jag for £350 a feew back........nice but i wasnt sure

Thanks guys

DixieTheKid

posted on 20/3/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck, why not buy a Dax Rush?

[Edited on 20/3/11 by DixieTheKid]

COS IT'S Worth IT

w.olly

posted on 20/3/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid

Because they are Waaaaaaaay outa my price range, but would be nice mate.

DixieTheKid

posted on 20/3/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by w.olly
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid

Because they are Waaaaaaaay outa my price range, but would be nice mate.

It will be different if you can pull it off ill give you that.. however it will be a heavy old car, proper nose heavy too.... i was going to build a 24v cosworth but after speaking to a few people and even Chippy that has built one the big engines and in your case all the extra running gear of a 4x4 sort of gets away from the fact that any Caterham style car is what it is(if that makes any sense).

Having said that, im all for the sound of the v6's or v8's!! Nothing can come close.............

COS IT'S Worth IT

PSpirine

posted on 20/3/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'll go out on a limb and say get a 4x4 sierra and use that as your donor. I'm certain someone's made the front wheel drive part of it work, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you who/where. Will also come with a nice V6 if you're lucky. Stick a blower on it and you'll have 200hp.

Then you can use Haynes design for most of the chassis.

w.olly

posted on 20/3/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
It mite different with this kinda build from what i am used to with off road 4x4s, well a lot different as i dont need hell loads of articulation but the runnin gis the same.

If i cant come by a whole 4x4 sierra

My idea, V6 Colonge with T9 4x4 box stuck on the end, collect what i need for the drive shafts and once all planned out on deck etc with hubs wheels i can get drive shafts cut and shut/made up to suit once the frame is built, this though i think will be hard for the IVA??? Good track car though.

I know they are dam heavey but also i believe and have seen online a V6 colonge twin turbo plus more mods putting out over 300BHP, not a clue what had been done but it was in a 4x4 off roader, a bit OTT for what he needed but i bet it was fun.

What other 4x4 donors could i use?

I guess the lighter the donor parts the better with the bigger BHP for the power to weight ratio.

Bare

posted on 3/4/11 at 03:29 AM Reply With Quote
Best Lotus OR caterham sevens are in the 500 kg range. Lightness is ...Far... more significant than sheer HP.
Rent a couple of real sevens.. Caterham does this.. and feel what it actually means to use a light car... rather than running off thinking you need enough HP to move a train to have serious performance.

Ninehigh

posted on 5/4/11 at 04:47 AM Reply With Quote
Surely Audi do a 4x4 gearbox with more than 4 cylinders in the engine...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.