Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Laser cut steel floor?
Eternal

posted on 21/3/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Laser cut steel floor?

Howdy all have any of you had your steel floor laser cut? Was thinking it would save a load of time to supply a autocad file of the floor plan and get the 2mm sheet metal cut out so all i need to do is weld it. Was planning on going from the center of each rail or should i aim more towards the edge of the rail.

Anyhow if anyone here knows of a good place to go to or works in a laser cutting place can you let me know?
Thanks

designer

posted on 21/3/11 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I always panel just short of the tubes outer corner radius, not the tube centre.

This give you more room to rivet and apply any adhesive.

You will have to do a search but, there will be a laser cutting firm around you somewhere,

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davegtst

posted on 21/3/11 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Why not use aluminium sheet and cut it yourself? It's perfectly strong enough and loads lighter, just put steel stips across where the seat will be bolted to.
nick205

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
2mm steel will be very heavy and welding it in place will risk distortion to your chassis. Most choose to bond and rivet and Aluminium floor, typically in 1.5-2.0mm material. I used 1.5mm on my Indy and it was more than stiff enough once fully bonded and rivetted in place. Alumium is also much easier to work with, using a jigsaw, air or hand nibbers or ordinary aviation hand shears.

TimC

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
As above, the only sensible reason to use steel (IMHO) is if you are racing your car in 750MC Locosts where the rules state that you need a steel floor. Even then I'd cut it, paint/coat it and then bond and rivet rather than weld.

Peteff

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Do it in 16g and don't get hung up on fancy stuff like laser cutting and drawing in cad. I put my chassis on the metal sheet and drew round it with a marker pen then cut it out with a nibbler. It took less than an hour and I've done a couple like that. Slitting discs in an angle grinder do the job just as well and I go to the outside edge of the rail and weld outside and inside with alternating tacks.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

AdamR

posted on 21/3/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Anything up to around 3mm mild steel will cut quickly and cleanly with a jigsaw - shouldn't take more than 20 mins to cut out a floor.
dhutch

posted on 21/3/11 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Do it in 16g and don't get hung up on fancy stuff like laser cutting and drawing in cad. I put my chassis on the metal sheet and drew round it with a marker pen then cut it out with a nibbler. It took less than an hour and I've done a couple like that. Slitting discs in an angle grinder do the job just as well and I go to the outside edge of the rail and weld outside and inside with alternating tacks.

Sounds right to me.

Nibble, jigsaw, angle grider with a slitting disk.

Do you really need 2mm, or even 16 gauge. Would 0.8 not be enought (22gauge). ?

Daniel

Eternal

posted on 21/3/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well idealy i would want a welded floor to give extra strength. With the power and probable chassis flex i would think the ally floor and rivits would eventualy come lose.
Also with ally floors you put them on after the chassis is painted and that requires having more finished and i would like to get the floor on before i do anything else as the pedal box will be floor mounted ect.

Bare

posted on 11/4/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I believe there is little flex that is addressed by over strengthening the floor plate. Yer mostly adding weight.
Also, IMO, Floor mounted pedals besides being a pre war design solution, puts the master cyl/hydraulics as low if not lower than the calipers. Not the best solution.

StrikerChris

posted on 11/4/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
I went for alu floor,but if i wanted steel i'd just cut it myself.only time i'd consider paying someone for laser/water cutting would be lots of complicated shapes like manifold plates,straight lines,are quick by any diy method,and you have to cock up big style not to be able to weld it!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 11/4/11 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Why not use aluminium sheet and cut it yourself? It's perfectly strong enough and loads lighter, just put steel stips across where the seat will be bolted to.

Hardly loads lighter about 3kg overall (assuming the normal 2mm aluminium + fixings + strips for mounting the seat against 1.2mm steel + welds)
There have been rare occasions where large bits of debris have punctured aluminium floor so there are reasons for choosing it.

Either is fine and to be honest both are about as easy to cut.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Bare

posted on 12/4/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Noticed? that Caterham uses ali channels as underfloor mounting reinforcements in their ali floor.. for the seat tracks?
Just like in virtually All aircraft.
Clearly more 'strength' is just dead weight and in any event, inconsequential in a crash large enough to damage them.
Then seat tracks would be thevery last thing one would be concerned with.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.