Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ideas wanted for inspection pit cover
hobbsy

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Ideas wanted for inspection pit cover

I am lucky enough to have a pit under the car port at my new house.

The boards are quite old however (they are 8 of them at approx 785x285mm).

The previous owner (old ish lady) didn't use the pit at all in the 5years she lived here and when I removed the boards recently I had to use a crow bar to get them up.

I had them sat on the side (in the dry under the carport) but when it came to put them back down I couldn't get them all back in.

I suspect they have been wanting to swell up for a while but the metal frame around the top of the pit was stopping them, once outside of this they have swelled. Also a couple have split along their length and I'm worried about them breaking and someone falling through (not just yet but in the coming years).

See photo:

Sooo I am thinking about replacing them, should I go for:

1) Same again - wood. Think these are oak??? Any suggestions on where to buy / what to use / cost?
2) Metal - steel / ally (strong enough??) - should I go for a solid sheet type covering or a grid / frame that lets the pit "breathe" - but also allows leaves and other crap in.
3) Something else?

It would be good if it didn't come up in 8 different pieces but no essential.

Don't want to spend too much cash or time on it so suggestions please gents.

What are other pit owners using?

daviep

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I'd do the same again but drill 2 hole at each end and put rope handles on them, if it's a deep pit then they are handy as step/platform when working down the pit.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

coozer

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Looks similar to mine, but mine are 3" thick. They came from grannies colliery house when they pulled them down to rebuild at Beamish. That makes them about 140 years old and no signs of giving up yet!

I've often thought of making something else but not come up with anything. An old rug over the top keeps the crap, and dropped items, from going in there.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

carlknight1982

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
bits of roof beam or cut down sleepers spring to mind.

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

Guinness

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be tempted to use some fibreglass grating.

http://www.fibergrate.co.uk/grating.asp

or

http://www.compositeflooring.com/

1. It's strong enough to span the gap, at least for pedestrian traffic (can you get a wheel on it, given the position?) You could put a couple of angles across if the loading isn't right.

2. Being open will allow the space to be naturally ventilated

3. Being open will allow you to see if there is anything in there.

4. Should be light enough to lift out in one panel.

5. Not being made of metal should reduce the likelyhood of theft / it ending up in a scrap yard.

6. Being fibreglass it'll be both dimensionally stable and rot resistant (also oil resistant??)

Just my 2p,

Chippy

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Bit hard too see but don't think they are oak, looking at the grain. But regardless they do all look to be sound, if it was me I would give them a good clean up, replace the split ones, treat with an anti rot solution and relay. IMHO Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

hobbsy

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I suppose they are fairly sound, probably just need a few mm taking off the width so they don't need to be virtually hammered back into place, I can address the swell the other way by replacing the worse split one with a narrower piece of wood. Or repair it and sand it down a bit.

Guess the wood takes a long time to rot. The leading edge of the first one (nearest the road) is a breaking up a bit but you can't really see that as this photo is from the other side.

The rope handles sound good but as it get walked over a fair bit they would probably be a trip hazard.

I'll take a look at the composite option but I guess the locost option is to repair what I have. I am renting the place out in a few months for a few years and I was just getting paranoid about being sued if someone falls though the planks!

cliftyhanger

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
those splits shouldn't be too much of a problem. If worried, drill, glue and screw them together. Trim a few mm off one end so they drop in/out easier and thats about it. You could spend a fortune on something that will be no better, and could easily be worse. And complicated.
K.I.S.S!
(though I like the idea of rope handles)

scootz

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Make do and mend!

It's Evolution Baby!

adithorp

posted on 3/4/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'd re-use the good ones repair or replace the damaged/split ones. How big is the lip they sit on? If you trim them to make a better fit will they still fit when/if they dry and shrink in summer?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

designer

posted on 3/4/11 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap option is a cut down, £30 firedoor.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 3/4/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They are chipboard, will fall apart when damp.

Proper wood is the only stuff for this sort of job. Unless you get complicated, which just is not required.

jacko

posted on 3/4/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Dexion racking boards are great for this type of thing we have them at work welded together in blocks about 36 ins wide to drop inbetween buses on the pits about 80ft long
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 3/4/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Unusual for boards to expand lengthways - it's usually across the width.

Have you checked that the metal frame is clean, and not fouled up with muck? (apologies if you have!)

If OK, I'd just shave an 1/8" or so of an end until it fits easily (without getting to near to the edge!)

Fred W B

posted on 3/4/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
As above, trim them to fit nicely.

Put the split ones back together with a couple of batterns screwed across the width from underneath.

Make cutouts in one you can get a hand into so you can lift it out, the rest lift from the edge.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 3/4/11 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Antnicuk

posted on 3/4/11 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
you may be able to find some trench covers quite cheaply, they are light and strong, its what the utility companies use to cover holes they dig in the road.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

hobbsy

posted on 3/4/11 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Unusual for boards to expand lengthways - it's usually across the width.

Have you checked that the metal frame is clean, and not fouled up with muck? (apologies if you have!)

If OK, I'd just shave an 1/8" or so of an end until it fits easily (without getting to near to the edge!)

It's the width expansion thats causing me the biggest headache as I can't get them all back in.

I've give a minimal trim and repair the other two split ones.

And yes I've cleaned up the steel frame, it's rusting a fair old bit so I think I'll wire brush and paint it when I'm doing the boards.

Fred - a hand hole seems like a good idea and won't present a trip hazard or allow too much muck to enter - nice one.

Cheers for all the suggestions guys!

Hellfire

posted on 3/4/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
If I was renting the property out for a few years, I'd fill the pit with sand and stick some paving slabs on top, to make sure I wasn't held responsible if someone did accidently fall down it.

Phil

[Edited on 3-4-11 by Hellfire]

designer

posted on 3/4/11 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO They are chipboard, will fall apart when damp.

Fire doors are not chipboard, a proper fire door is wood and as strong and a rigid as wood comes.

Steve Hignett

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
If I was renting the property like you are, I'd use the exact ones...

Don't clean them, don't sand them down etc, just fit them back in using the hammer etc so they stayed bloody tight...

Neville Jones

posted on 4/4/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
If I was renting the property out for a few years, I'd fill the pit with sand and stick some paving slabs on top, to make sure I wasn't held responsible if someone did accidently fall down it.

Phil

[Edited on 3-4-11 by Hellfire]

My thoughts exactly.

If it can happen, it will.

You might even get a piece of steel treadplate, 150mm or so bigger all round, and then bolt it over the top if you are going to rent the place. You don't want the tenant to be able to uncover/reuse the pit at all. Tack weld the bolt heads to the plate as well.

Nev.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.