Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rocker cover modifications
nick-york

posted on 3/4/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
rocker cover modifications

when i line my bonnet up on the nosecone and scuttle i ve noticed that my oil filler cap on the rocker cover is about 15 mm too high to fit under the bonnet .would it be best to try and reduce the height by cutting bits off the cap and the rocker cover or just move the filler to the other end of the rocker cover ?I ve seen that daddylonglegs has moved his filler on his pinto . if i moved it maybe he could tell me how easy they are to take out and how they are fixed in place .or can anybody else help me please ?
RichardK

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, when ya gonna pull your finger out and get that car finished

This is how I did mine, John did his more parallel, thats a point I wonder if he got his mesh??

Anyway doing it this way worked well for me, sliced it off, welded it on the other end, drilled down the center of the neck, got a small hole saw on the other side, job was a good un. Oh then blocked off the old hole with a bit of scrap.

Cheers mate.

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
a few people relocate the oil filler to get round this or fit a bonnet with a bulge

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Rich, I did get my mesh thanks . Thought I'd IM'd you but in my senility I probably imagined it

Not sure how good your welding is Nick but I had a mare doing mine, kept blowing holes in the tin, or not welding enough when I turned it down. I ended up brazing mine on. (Less leaks than my welding too )

BTW, my filler cap is apparently OTT (it's from a CVH engine) it seems Halfords do the single outlet ones for a few beer chits.

Good luck

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

nick-york

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Hi mate, when ya gonna pull your finger out and get that car finished

This is how I did mine, John did his more parallel, thats a point I wonder if he got his mesh??

Anyway doing it this way worked well for me, sliced it off, welded it on the other end, drilled down the center of the neck, got a small hole saw on the other side, job was a good un. Oh then blocked off the old hole with a bit of scrap.

Cheers mate.

Rich
Cheers Rich ! it ll be much quicker just cutting the old one off rather than trying to take it apart which is what i was going to do ! you make it sound so easy ! building at the moment is going through a bad spell . people have been promising me things and letting me down.i ve been without a welder for about 4 weeks and lots of brackets to weld . I m about a month behind schedule and even worse is the wife has seen lots of locosts on the road recently !Hope you have yours on the road again soon.

plentywahalla

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
If its in the way ... just blank it off, and do what some marine engines do when access is limited.

The sump plug is replaced by a braided hose which ends in a bulkhead fitting. Then a hand pump can be used to pump out old oil and pump in new. No more grovelling around under the engine with drip trays etc.

A big hole in the rocker cover is a very crude way of filling a tank in the bottom of an engine!

nick-york

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Yes Rich, I did get my mesh thanks . Thought I'd IM'd you but in my senility I probably imagined it

Not sure how good your welding is Nick but I had a mare doing mine, kept blowing holes in the tin, or not welding enough when I turned it down. I ended up brazing mine on. (Less leaks than my welding too )

BTW, my filler cap is apparently OTT (it's from a CVH engine) it seems Halfords do the single outlet ones for a few beer chits.

Good luck
i ll test my welding out first on some similar thickness material first i think just to be safe . If i make too many holes i ll get it brazed on . Cheers .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.