Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW 316 engine
Damon Hill

posted on 8/4/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
BMW 316 engine

I've bought a 316 donor for my locost, i wanted to use the engine, but i'm starting to worry that it's too big. Anyone else used a 316 engine for their project?
Miks15

posted on 8/4/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
i am, but not in a locost, slightly different chassis shape, i reckon it will fit in the haynes chassis
Miks15

posted on 9/4/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry that probably didnt sound very useful, was having a boring day at work.
Let me start again.

Im using a 316 engine in my build. I initially had a standard locost chassis which i bought online. Then engine looked VERY tight. The chassis i had bought was twisted so i never really looked further into if it could actually be made to fit, but i reckon chassis rails would be right in the way of the exhaust ports (the engine leans over quite a bit).

So what i did was make a custom chassis based generally on the book and haynes car, but with differences in the engine bay, you can see some in my archive. This allowed plenty of room and allowed me to get the engine quite far back for better weight distribution. The engine leans over on the side that the steering will go down so you will need a dog leg in your steering to get around the manifold.

If you havent got a chassis yet id recomend seeing if the engine will fit in the haynes chassis (wider and taller than the book) and going for that.

Hope this has been a bit more helpful, if you want to know anything else, just u2u me.

Mikkel

Damon Hill

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, that's very helpful, i will look into the measurements.
Ben

Miks15

posted on 9/4/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you want any measurements of the engine (dont know if yours is accessible yet) give me a shout and ill measure them up.

Also if you need any tips on stripping the donor im here to help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.