Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: why aren't there more single seaters for road use??
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/4/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
why aren't there more single seaters for road use??

just that, I use a motor bike as much as I can (unless it is snowing) and am the first one to admit that they are totally dangerous on the roads, alot of fun but your in big trouble in a crash

Thing is I'd swap it any day for a small single seater sports car (something like a lotus one) that has reasonably performance and can be put on the road cheaply i.e 2k or less using donor parts. Had thought about a vw beetle powered one that had the engine turned round much like the formula vee cars. Like my bike I'd want something quick but not insane like some of the BEC's...

Seems to me there is a huge market for such things but I just don't see many kits, most are 2 seaters which for me is one seat too many and makes the cars wide and ugly

Had been waiting for the haynes one but not much has been happing

[Edited on 18/4/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 18/4/11 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
May I present the masses with a candidate for conversion!

Linky

It's Evolution Baby!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 18/4/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I considered doing, maybe even building an MEV Atomic...... I really wanted to be able to take a passenger though. And I think that kills it for alot of other people.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Alan B

posted on 18/4/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
I considered doing, maybe even building an MEV Atomic...... I really wanted to be able to take a passenger though. And I think that kills it for alot of other people.

Agreed.......half the fun is scaring the s**t out of your passenger...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pekwah1

posted on 18/4/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
i think probably because a single seater isn't really any smaller than a 2 seater anyway.
So if it's already the same size, might as well have another seat to take someone else along.

I will probably hardly ever have a passenger, but still want another seat for when i do...

iank

posted on 18/4/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
i think probably because a single seater isn't really any smaller than a 2 seater anyway.
So if it's already the same size, might as well have another seat to take someone else along.

Unless you mount the engine in the passenger space like the atomic. They make a 7 look like a Cadillac in length.

quote:
I will probably hardly ever have a passenger, but still want another seat for when i do...

Agreed

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

russbost

posted on 18/4/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think there may be a market for a VERY small single seater, possibly 3 wheeler, bubble car type of thing, purely as a city car, but quite difficult to do if it is to be safe & economical.

TBH I don't think a budget of 2k is anything like realistic unless you are using almost only donor components & making everything else yourself - even a deceny scooter (I don't mean one of the Chinese ones made out o0f baked bean tiins) is more than 2k & even using an old scooter or similar as a donor the cost will quickly rise as soon as you start to add any new components & then obviously coast of testing even if it goes thro' MSVA.

The Roadrunner Sprint got sold on because Martin Keenan couldn't sell many (several people bought them & sold swiftly after building as they didn't like the solo aspect) & its new owners have, I believe ceased production.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
matt_gsxr

posted on 18/4/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what the benefit of not having a second seat is.
Still too wide to nip through traffic.

Two seats, one empty says "I've got no friends"
One seat says "I'll never have any friends"

chris mason

posted on 18/4/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

The Roadrunner Sprint got sold on because Martin Keenan couldn't sell many (several people bought them & sold swiftly after building as they didn't like the solo aspect) & its new owners have, I believe ceased production.

Factually incorrect information

Martin Didn't sell the Sprint R project, People didn't buy them and sell because they had one seat, and Kevin who continued on with the project, after martin and him parted company, developed the SR1 single seater, which was followed by the SR2 7-a-like car, Due to the development of the SR2, production of the SR1 was discontinued, despite many enquires, so that they could divert their attention and man hours too just one model.

There is still people to this day, enquiring about the Sprint R and Sr1 models.

russbost

posted on 18/4/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
quote:

Factually incorrect information

Martin Didn't sell the Sprint R project, People didn't buy them and sell because they had one seat, and Kevin who continued on with the project, after martin and him parted company, developed the SR1 single seater, which was followed by the SR2 7-a-like car, Due to the development of the SR2, production of the SR1 was discontinued, despite many enquires, so that they could divert their attention and man hours too just one model.

There is still people to this day, enquiring about the Sprint R and Sr1 models.

Chris

Sincere apologies if anything I've said is incorrect, I will admit some of it is hearsay, but told to me by someone close to the horses mouth as it were.

"Martin didn't sell the project" - well surely he didn't just give his part in it to Kevin did he???

"People didn't buy them and sell because they had one seat" - I spoke to 2 previous owners at shows (they were talking to me about the Furore F1) who told me that was precisely what they had done, one after about 3 months of ownership, the other after 4 - Ok I don't have proof they ever owned Sprints, but why would someone tell porkies about such a thing? - I'd be surprised if they were the only 2 & both happened to independantly choose to tell me!

I'm very pleased (& somewhat amazed) to hear that they can sell so many SR2's that they don't have time to continue selling SR1's which they (presumably) have all the jigs/moulds for, they are obviously doing massively better than most 7 clone manufacturers, many of whom seem to be struggling (just a general observation from comments made directly to me, on here & on Pistonheads), tho' I do know of at least one other who is genuinely very busy. Also surprising that if so many people wanted to buy SR1's that they would go to all the bother of designing a completely new car (albeit yet another 7 clone), & all of the expense of producing new jigs/moulds.

Please note I do not mean any offence by any of the above, I have only stated what I believe to be the case. If they'd like to give the jigs & moulds away (as apparently they didn't cost anything) I'm sure they'd find some ready takers seems a shame if there are significant numbers of people wanting to buy a car they can't!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

simonwinn

posted on 18/4/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I enquired about the SR1 at the Newark show last year and was told they could put a kit together for me but the cost of some of the bespoke parts would put a build over 10K.
I would love a single seater, so Ive decided to have a go myself. It might never turn a wheel but It'll keep me busy for a while.
Doing loads of research into donors/engines/suspension and the like.............

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/4/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
well tbh the Furore F1 is top on my list as possable cars hence why I'm keeping my big wheels but it will have to wait till I sell this house which will be at least 2 years and missy is going on about kids too so that will be at least 6 years before I have my child slave labourer to clean rusty bits while I supervise and drink beer

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

contaminated

posted on 18/4/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think you are all missing the point. The reason there are not more single seaters can be summed up in one word - SWMBO! Who here (unless single and gets to spend their time in the bog "thinking" about VBH or Sabine) has not sold the idea of a kit car based on romantic trips to a country pub on a Sunday lunchtime, only to actually turn it into a trackday missile with no windcreen and use it for 5am asaults on the countryside

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

coyoteboy

posted on 18/4/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
My other half was happy with the idea of a single seater, it was the fact i'd have to build 2 and pay tax, fuel and insurance on both to go anywhere together that killed it.
chris mason

posted on 19/4/11 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Chris

Sincere apologies if anything I've said is incorrect, I will admit some of it is hearsay, but told to me by someone close to the horses mouth as it were.

"Martin didn't sell the project" - well surely he didn't just give his part in it to Kevin did he???

"People didn't buy them and sell because they had one seat" - I spoke to 2 previous owners at shows (they were talking to me about the Furore F1) who told me that was precisely what they had done, one after about 3 months of ownership, the other after 4 - Ok I don't have proof they ever owned Sprints, but why would someone tell porkies about such a thing? - I'd be surprised if they were the only 2 & both happened to independantly choose to tell me!

I'm very pleased (& somewhat amazed) to hear that they can sell so many SR2's that they don't have time to continue selling SR1's which they (presumably) have all the jigs/moulds for, they are obviously doing massively better than most 7 clone manufacturers, many of whom seem to be struggling (just a general observation from comments made directly to me, on here & on Pistonheads), tho' I do know of at least one other who is genuinely very busy. Also surprising that if so many people wanted to buy SR1's that they would go to all the bother of designing a completely new car (albeit yet another 7 clone), & all of the expense of producing new jigs/moulds.

Please note I do not mean any offence by any of the above, I have only stated what I believe to be the case. If they'd like to give the jigs & moulds away (as apparently they didn't cost anything) I'm sure they'd find some ready takers seems a shame if there are significant numbers of people wanting to buy a car they can't!

Take it from me then, that your "someone close to the horses mouth" was not close enough, he's telling lies and doesn't have the right information. If i so wished i could tell you the name of every owner with a Sprint R and what they did with the car, but both those items of information are personal to each person so i won't.

But too sumarise out of the ones that stayed in the Uk only 5/6 were ever sva'd the rest remained track cars or are still unfinished.

Also with regard to the SR2, you seem to be misled again, I never said they were selling so many, i said that they wanted to divert their time to just one car, so discontinued the other.

The single seater road car concept sells in small numbers and limits the growth of any company, so a decision to build a 7 isn't a bad idea, they sell and help fund growth in a business, once the SR2 was established attention could have been returned to the SR1 or other models. Remember the guys who owned RRR in the SR2 development stage, were intending to build a business on a larger scale than those manufacturers who work from home.

The jigs and moulds did cost money, you seem to really have so little knowledge on the subject that your speaking a load of nonesense, As a trader i'd suggest obtaining the correct facts before you tell stories, and if your knowledge on the subject isn't 100% factually correct, it's probably best to refrain from joining such threads and spouting nonesense.

russbost

posted on 19/4/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Chris

I have no idea why you have got so annoyed about this. If people only ever repeated what they could guarantee was absolutely 100% correct we wouldn't have a very interesting forum would we??? I've obviously touched a raw nerve, but no idea how or why.

At no point have I dissed Martin (I have immense respect for him) Kevin, yourself or anyone else involved in the project - I'm simply surprised that if it's still viable in terms of costs & there are people wanting to buy cars, why on earth wouldn't a manufacturer sell them one??? I certainly would if I was in that position - ok I might tell them they'd have to wait a while whilst I got other stuff out of the way, but I'm blowed if I'd turn good business away.

The issue about the moulds/jigs costing nothing was said in humour as you'd said Martin hadn't sold them - entirely tongue in cheek as was much of my last post.

I don't believe I have talked rubbish at any point & still believe the bulk of my points are correct whether the actual story is factually accurate or not. I've said all along "no offence intended".

You have actually confirmed my most significant point which is that there is not a major market for single seaters (I thought significantly more of them had been road registered than you've indicated) - at least not of the modern styling & performance variety anyway - something like the e-trike/Battmobile could however be another story.

russbost

posted on 19/4/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
On a totally separate note, does anyone know what happened to the Edge Devil???

scootz

posted on 19/4/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by contaminated
Unless single and gets to spend their time in the bog "thinking" about VBH or Sabine...

I've never quite understood the male petrolheads fascination with these two! I don't doubt their ability to drive cars well and they might even be thoroughly decent spuds, but neither can be thought of like that! Surely!

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 21/4/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by contaminated
Unless single and gets to spend their time in the bog "thinking" about VBH or Sabine...

I've never quite understood the male petrolheads fascination with these two! I don't doubt their ability to drive cars well and they might even be thoroughly decent spuds, but neither can be thought of like that! Surely!

Why not? People have rode uglier things, and in public too!

I'll get me coat

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.