Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can Anyone Spot the Problem?
Jaybeee

posted on 20/4/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Can Anyone Spot the Problem?

I purchased my RH part built and it is a real bitsa!!!!

My car failed IVA on braking effeciency along with a few other things. After a lot of head scratching I asked a local MOT centre to if they could test the brakes for me. Braking effeciency was at best 55%. the most senior tester came over and said stick it on the ramp and lets have a look.

Can anyone see a problem in the pictures below?

https://picasaweb.google.com/103673895427342031775/MyPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCJr7u5DNxqjNBA#5597807346416306402

https://picasaweb.google.com/103673895427342031775/MyPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCJr7u5DNxqjNBA#5597807361328767234

A1

posted on 20/4/11 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
no pads?!

or am i seeing it wrong?

[Edited on 20/4/11 by A1]

blakep82

posted on 20/4/11 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
hard to see the photos, but looks like there might be a pad in there? but if there is, doesn't look like much of it is on the disc!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/4/11 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wrong pads and swept area?
Jaybeee

posted on 20/4/11 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
It would appear the front brakes are from a Sierra with discs all round which have discs that are larger then the standard. I had a problem where the front discs rubbed badly on the lower sliding piller mount so I had to replace the discs. What I can not understand is why the pads do not fully use the inner part of the disc. i didn't take a photo of this but there is about 15mm of discon the inside edge that is not covered by the pad.
snapper

posted on 21/4/11 at 05:43 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra single pot sliding caliper, is it sliding properly, if not only one pad will push on the disc, take it off, check the slide bolts, clear, a smear of copper grease, re fit.
On those calipers I also copper grease where the pad edges touch the caliper I side.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/4/11 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaybeee
What I can not understand is why the pads do not fully use the inner part of the disc. i didn't take a photo of this but there is about 15mm of discon the inside edge that is not covered by the pad.

That shouldn't be a problem, assuming the pads are correct. I am considering using my existing callipers/pads and increasing disc size to improve breaking, once I actually get my car built up.
Was the breaking even? what brand of pads? Take it the callipers haven't partially seized? And the new discs were cleaned before installation?? Brake pedal feels OK? Any bias valves installed? Master cylinder size, and working correctly?

OK, lots of things, but the first one is important. If all brakes are low then I would be thinking master cylinder (or cr***y pads etc)

stevetzoid

posted on 21/4/11 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Not easy to see from the picture but should the highest point on the caliper be the bleed nipple to let the air out when bleeding otherwise air will remain inside the caliper!!, or have I got that wrong?

Regards Steve Evans.

RichardK

posted on 21/4/11 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
It looks to me as there's no pad on the front just one on the rear which would explain half braking efficiency!! Although difficult to see a birds eye view would be good it just looks like the pad carrier is all the way ove so I would suspect that non vented pads have been fitted when pads designed for the vented disks (sapphire) should have been used which are a bit thinner due to the disks being thicker.

Another top view picy would be good.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 21/4/11 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I think the simple answer is that they are the wrong size Disc (definately on diameter, posible on thickness and of-set) for the calipers. I know that I had to try 3 sets of disc for mine until I got the right ones, but I was using Granada calipers on Sierra Hubs.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Grimsdale

posted on 21/4/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
as above, do you have calipers for the 260mm disc, and 240mm discs?
mcerd1

posted on 21/4/11 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
I think the simple answer is that they are the wrong size Disc (definately on diameter, posible on thickness and of-set) for the calipers. I know that I had to try 3 sets of disc for mine until I got the right ones, but I was using Granada calipers on Sierra Hubs.

I'd agree with that
(btw stock mk3 granny callipers are the same as a sierra with ABS/XR4i but I guess you found that out in the end)

Jaybeee
can you measure the diamiter of the disc you've got and maybe take a couple more pics ?

as above if they are 240mm discs you've got now - chances are you need the 260mm ones

if they are normal sierra hubs then you want the discs from an XR4i (not 4x4)
like these ones: http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/parts_disc.asp?part=disc&make=FORD&model=Sierra&year=2%2E8+XR4i+%2882%2D85%29

[Edited on 21/4/2011 by mcerd1]

-

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2759
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Simples .The discs are too small as said .
Davey D

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, looks like the disc is too small
Triton

posted on 21/4/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
yep the discs look to small in diameter so pads not covering brake surface properly.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 21/4/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
yep looks like you have 240mm discs and 260mm callipers. simple disc swap will sort it.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

avagolen

posted on 21/4/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
for what it's worth, it looks like the pads are wrong as well.

The piston does not look like it is covering the whole of the pad plate.

Len.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

Jaybeee

posted on 5/5/11 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for all the responses the pads and discs we both thewrong size. I bought the car as a part build with a 1600 pinto so I wrongly assumed the pads and were also for a 1600 and not a 2000 as the donor was!!

On another point does anyone know if the master cylinders are the same?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.