Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help needed identifying top balljoint
muller

posted on 15/7/04 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Help needed identifying top balljoint

I need a bit of help identifying the top balljoints used on my car.

I need to replace one of the top balljoint but is unsure out of what vehicle they were taken and so far have been unable to contact the builder of the car.

The part number stamped on the balljoint is: DA05A (this the LH joint, and the RH joint is stamped DB15A)

Any help will be greatly appreciated

TIA

[Edited on 15/7/04 by muller]

JP32

posted on 15/7/04 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
A picture will help!
muller

posted on 15/7/04 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Stupid of me, sorry. Will take a picture tonight and post tomorrow. In the meantime it looks very much like this:

I suspect its of a Transit, but since we never got the transit van in SA - I want to confirm my suspicion (via the part number stamped on it) before searching for one.

Viper

posted on 15/7/04 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Do you know what the thread is?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 15/7/04 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like Transit to me.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Steve Hnz

posted on 15/7/04 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you can measure the diameter of the narrowest part of the taper & measure the diameter & count the threads per inch of the threaded stem we should get it from that. I`m assuming its into a cortina upright which should confirm the taper. transit tie rod end should be 15.5mm at the narrow part of the taper & may be either 18x1.5mm or 20x1.5mm thread depending if they`re a transit draglink end or tie rod end respectively. HTH Steve.
muller

posted on 16/7/04 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
Here is the pic:

It is for a cortina hub, but the thread is 14mm and the pitch is 1.5mm

Steve Hnz

posted on 16/7/04 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well its certainly NOT a transit one. Looking quickly thru my Sidem PDF catalogue I`m tempted to wonder if you don`t have a landrover draglink end they`re 15.2mm at the narrow end of the taper, I don`t know if their taper is correct, but the threaded shaft measures11/16" x16TPI which is very close to 14mm x 1.25mm. Did you measure with accurate instuments, ie a vernier & thread gauge or a ruler & MK1 eyeball. If so it may pay to check again,but if you`re accurate & correct its got me beat just now. Cheers, Steve.
splitrivet

posted on 16/7/04 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well Ive never seen a balljoint metamorphasize itself like that !! in the first pic its transit in the second its gawd knows what.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Peteff

posted on 16/7/04 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's bent whatever it is. The thread looks coarse. You could make some new top wishbones and use some balljoints that you know the origin of. You didn't say whether you are using Cortina uprights or something else. If they are Triumph ones they will be different to the Cortina.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

muller

posted on 23/7/04 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I grabbed the first picture off the net because from memory it looked right - sorry for the confusion.

The thread diameter was measured using a vernier so accurate to about .2mm. I measured the pitch with a vernier as well, so could be slightly out.

At this stage I dont want to make a new top wishbones if I can avoid it. Will try and contact the original builder again.

Thanks for all the help

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/7/04 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
if i remember, the transit is m18, so its def not one of those

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.