Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel filter and possible fuel starvation
antwan

posted on 24/4/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel filter and possible fuel starvation

Hi,
I have a fuel injected MNR Vortx. The engine is a BMW 16v 1.8 1995. I have installed a cheapy fuel filter on the suction side of the fuel pump. It is transparent.

I have only have a small amount of fuel in the tank.

I can see the fuel backing up on the upstream (tank) side of the filter and can hear small amounts of air firing through the fuel pump (like a clicking noise similar to air in a central heating system). The car seems to be idling fine and revs OK too though this is under no load just sat on the drive.

Have I installed the wrong filter (it was about £4 from the local motor factors)? I would like a filter before the pump to ensure i catch any possible swarf from the tank.

Thanks
Ant

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/4/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a suspicion that the cheapy filter will be restrictive. It is meant for a carb equipped car, and would probably be fine if you were using it to feed a swirlpot (where the fuel return fed into the swirlpot)

There are high capacity filters about for pre-pump, cosworth sierras would be ideal. Probably.

(all this is assuming you have injection, and the return is to the fuel tank)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.