Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear hubs & track rod end
Benzine

posted on 15/7/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Rear hubs & track rod end

More n00b questions

How far in does this have to go? It seems v.tight and starts to grate against the hub, should it do that?

When i try to undo the nuts on the track rod ends the bolts moves with it, how can i get them off :S (no room for mole grips access )

Thanks for any help

[Edited on 15/7/04 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 15/7/04 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
with that type of shaft you will need to lathe it off ,its not required as its the ABS ring on the sierra.
the track rod nut can be remove by putting a bar between the bottom of the track rod and lower wish bone and apply upward pressure,at the same time as turning the nut.
cheers PAUL

Dusty

posted on 15/7/04 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Can sometimes get the trackrod tapers to jam by jacking under the joint to force it further in, then undo the nut.
shortie

posted on 15/7/04 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Benzine,

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about sending your CV joint, just been a bit busy this week as we've had a gas leak at home!!

Looking at you pic it looks like you have the same problem I did, the teeth on the drive shaft need to be removed (most people get it done by someone with a lathe) or you can make the hole in the hub bigger which is what I did in the end using a dremel for speed but you can do it by hand, just takes longer! The teeth are for the ABS system in the 4x4 sierra, non 4x4's (standard donor) don't have them so MK make the hub to fit the standard.

It's a pain but didn't take long with the dremel, if you've got a lathe it would be even quicker to remove the teeth.

As for the track rod ends I reckon it's worth getting some new ones, I used new ones and had no problem.

Hope that helps,
Rich.

Benzine

posted on 15/7/04 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all round

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 18/7/04 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Benzine,

I'm gonna sound like a Dad now (which I'm not thank god!)...

Don't take this the wrong way- I personally don't mind what language I see/hear but I think some people on this forum will get upset at what's written on your signature- mainly because some read this forum with their kids!

Sorry to sound like I'm nagging!

All the best,
James

adam_moore

posted on 19/7/04 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
On the subject of rear bearings...I re-assembled the first on my rear (disc) hubs OK after filing of the ABS sensor ring but the bearings are really tight...so much so that its hard to turn the driver flange...

Has anyone else had this problem? Fingers crossed I haven't got the bearing races mixed up...!

Benzine

posted on 19/7/04 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Benzine,

I'm gonna sound like a Dad now (which I'm not thank god!)...

Don't take this the wrong way- I personally don't mind what language I see/hear but I think some people on this forum will get upset at what's written on your signature- mainly because some read this forum with their kids!

Sorry to sound like I'm nagging!

All the best,
James

What are you talking about? :S

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.