Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting 12v cigarette lighter
jono2020

posted on 27/4/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting 12v cigarette lighter

Anyone know the easiest way to fit a 12v charger in the car. Could do with it for using the sat nav etc...
LBMEFM

posted on 27/4/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
As you say just wire in a cigarette lighter socket with a 30amp fuse through the ignition supply.
tomgregory2000

posted on 27/4/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
30amp is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the top

normal cig sockets can only take up to 8 amps tops

so a 10 amp will be loads, i would run a 5 amp fuse as thats 60 watts of power on 12v

BenB

posted on 27/4/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a 30A fuse but I also ran the socket via a relay straight to the battery so as to not overwhelm the ignition switch (or drain down the battery if I left something plugged in).
David Jenkins

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Most car 12v ciggy sockets are rated at 10A, so that's the size of fuse I fitted.

Mine's wired permanently (i.e. not on the switched side of the ignition) so that my maintenance charger can be plugged in when the car's in the garage.

[Edited on 27/4/11 by David Jenkins]

RoadkillUK

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Wired mine direct to the battery, put an in-line fuse in there (can't remember the rating). It is used for sat-nav and phone charger, but it's main purpose was to charge the battery.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
10amp is plenty! I managed to melt the TomTom charger when I wired the socket the wrong way around.... Ooops.
trextr7monkey

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Maplins do an aux socket which won't light ciggies and it comes with a marine style cover, around £4 I think, does the job perfeectly

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

RazMan

posted on 27/4/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
As above, don't fit a ciggy lighter but fit a 'proper' 12V power socket - much more reliable (as in won't fall out) and a 10A fuse won't implode your ickle alternators

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jono2020

posted on 28/4/11 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
oh ok cheers guys. maplins it is then. Still not great with electrics so Ill give it a go...
David Jenkins

posted on 28/4/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I used a lighter socket because most of my accessories have lighter socket type plugs. If you fit anything else you may have a lot of plug rewiring to do! Apart from my charger, I have my satnav, an inspection lamp, an invertor for my laptop, and a 5v USB power supply to drive anything that can connect to it (e.g. my phone). I can't/won't fit new plugs to that lot!

My socket was designed solely as a power outlet, and has a flap that hinges down when I'm not using it.

The Black Flash

posted on 28/4/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

My socket was designed solely as a power outlet, and has a flap that hinges down when I'm not using it.

Yup - CBS do them I think, but there are plenty on ebay - I picked up a new VAG one for a couple of quid.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.