Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Passat drivers door electrics
vinny1275

posted on 6/5/11 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Passat drivers door electrics

Morning all,

My passat has decided that it's getting old and crotchety, and bits are stopping working...

The driver's side door electrics are the newest thing - all the window switches in the armrest panel, the electric door mirrors and lock solenoid have all stopped. The windows and door locks work on all the other doors, just the drivers door. I've had the trim panel off, and all the things which have stopped working connect into the window motor, which also seems to have some electronic wizardry in it (for controlling the one-touch windows and suchlike I guess), so I presume that's fudged.

But, before I go ahead and cough up for one, is there anything else which can cause the same symptoms?

Cheers

Vince

jabbahutt

posted on 6/5/11 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested in this as it's happened to my wife's Mk5 Golf. Drivers door started with the lock not unlocking using the fob and spread to the mirror etc.

jabbahutt

posted on 6/5/11 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
I've just Google this and it appears to quite a common problem with VW. One forum suggested disconnecting the battery for 60 minutes, reconnect and everything works okay. As electrics are my downfall what impact would doing this have on the stereo, alarm etc?

Any info appreciated.

Guinness

posted on 6/5/11 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Is there a multi plug connector in the door shut? For all the electrics to stop working, sounds like the plug has come out, or water has got in?
Agriv8

posted on 6/5/11 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
I would also possibly check for water corosion on connectors behind the pannel to the right of the accelerator. but battery of for 60 mins sounds a good easy try for a fix.

you will need stereo code for sure

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

vinny1275

posted on 6/5/11 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
battery was disconnected for 60 minutes (ish) as it died, and vw have made it as difficult as possible to remove! I didn't need to put in the stereo code, but I've got the removable strip..

The only multiplug in the door is the big one which connects to the window motor box o' tricks - stuff in the door which doesn't plug into that box (like the fuel flap release and speaker) still works....

jabbahutt

posted on 6/5/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
the windows and fuel flap release still work but heated/adjustable mirror and door lock don't. Looks like a disconnect of the battery first and take it from there. Cheers all for the advice and sorry for hijacking your thread Vinny.

macc man

posted on 6/5/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like cars have gone the same way as most electrical goods. Once the warranty is up they fail.Throw away world.

tegwin

posted on 6/5/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
A common problem with the T4 is the wiring to the door getting fatigued and snapping inside the bellows next to the door hinges...

Not sure if other VAG cars have this issue... do a resistance and continuity test between the plug inside the car and the plug in the door on all the cores and see if you have any breaks?

I had to replace all the wires in both doors in my sisters T4, was a pain in the bum!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.