Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which oil and how much?
Greenie

posted on 6/5/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Which oil and how much?

The engine is a 2ltr Zetec Blacktop with a shortened sump, ready for an oil change, so the question is which oil do I use and how much do I put in????????????
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 6/5/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
not much luck so far so i'll give it a go.there must be some info online regarding type and amount of oil in the 2.0 black top.
if you cant find anything u2u me and i'll ask my uncle as he has one in his kit!

scutter

posted on 6/5/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
10W30 for a zetec, normally between 4-5L.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vyperstrype

posted on 6/5/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
5W/30 Semi skimmed or fully skimmed depending on milage. I was on 10w/40 semi synthetic but changed to 5w/30 fully synthetic with no problems. If it is high milage, i would stick with 10w/40 semi, otherwise it will find any leak on the engine it can!!
As for capacity, i just filled it up to the full mark on the Dipstick with no problems. I also have a remote oil filter mounted in the nosecone, which is quite a large filter and with the extra pipework makes for a larger capacity of oil in the system.

Regards Eric.

Where there's a will, there's a death!!

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/5/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
deffo 5/30, and as above fill to the dipstick mark.
Use a decent oil too, not the cheapy unbranded stuff. Can besome excellent offers on oil, I think morrisons had some halvoline a while back very cheap.

austin man

posted on 6/5/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
if you fill to the mark on the dipstick surely you do not have enough oil in unless you have a winged sump to make up for cutting it down. I have a silvertop with a cut down sump I put the recommended amount into the sump I believe its 4.25 litre could be wrong. I made a new mark on the dipstic as the full level is now higher up the stick

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

DRC INDY 7

posted on 7/5/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
The correct grade oil for the zetec is 5w 30
cliftyhanger

posted on 7/5/11 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
if you fill to the mark on the dipstick surely you do not have enough oil in unless you have a winged sump to make up for cutting it down. I have a silvertop with a cut down sump I put the recommended amount into the sump I believe its 4.25 litre could be wrong. I made a new mark on the dipstic as the full level is now higher up the stick

I think you lose capacity with a shortened sup as you say. If you still put in the standard amount, the oil level may get too high, and that could cause problems, especially if the crank starts stirring/frothing it.
All the advice I have seen is to fill to the normal mark..

coozer

posted on 7/5/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
5w30, get the proper Ford stuff. DO NOT put 10w40 in it unless you like major big end surgery VERY soon!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Greenie

posted on 7/5/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you so much lads,

I do have a remote filter with pipework which I will need to consider, interesting point and a great idea of making a new mark on the stick.

I also agree with a good grade of oil..... Thanks again......... Greenie

hucky

posted on 7/5/11 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
greenie, if you need some good oil, give me a shout. as i owe you anyway i can sort that for you?
littlefeller

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
measure out the amount of oil it should have as standard, fill engine using original dip stick as a guide, fill up to normal mark, see how much oil you have left then build a reservoir for the remaining oil. sump capacity is dependant on the visosity of the oil used, you can get away with less 5w 30 than you can with 10w 40. personally i wouldnt risk it and just add a reservoir
pgtips

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
5w30, get the proper Ford stuff. DO NOT put 10w40 in it unless you like major big end surgery VERY soon!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Il Repeat: DO NOT put 10/40 in it.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.