Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap transaxle options
m8kwr

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap transaxle options

Apart from Hewland boxes, what other options are there, on the very locost side- but the engine is not in the transverse position - and engine to suit.

Hope that makes sense.

Or what options are there if the engine was to be in the transverse position.

big_wasa

posted on 8/5/11 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
vw passat ect ?
T66

posted on 8/5/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Heres the non patented RetroPower Locost bec option in my Fiat...

Range Rover / Borg Warner vc transfer box - provides lsd across the axle, still a bit of an unknown quantity at the minute, but definitely cheaper than Elite / Quaife

RustyNuts

posted on 8/5/11 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
So if engine is not in transverse
I believe the options are approx

Renault UN1 transaxle...adapters are made to Rover V8/American V8's and no doubt others.
However UN1 seem to be getting rarer and not Locost, but people seem to be able to run them upto 500BHP.

Renault NG3 transaxle...not as strong as UN1 but cheeper :-) and a bit lighter. Believe they can be adapted to ford Pinto's/Zetec.

Audi to to do quite a range of transaxles, would be nice if someone did an Adaptor to Ford (anyone...please hint hint).

VW bettle box yay cheepo Locost option at last and there adaptions to ford pinto's are possible as some of the camper van people look to replace their air/c VW engines with water/c Pinto's. Also before being quick to slate the Bettle Box, they were used in some of the orginal Formula Juniors with Ford 105e engines and the original Hewland was (I hope I'm right in saying) a recased Bettle gearbox. And if anyone could tell me how the VW dragracers beef their boxs up to take silly power I'd like to know.

Hewland...Expensive.

Porsche...they're German, built like tanks, and look to be very expensive. Not sure how convertable to other makes of engine bolt paterns etc.

Alfa...cheep(ish) quite a few GTV6 on flebay at the moment, inboard brakes, however not exactly your traditional Transaxle shape, and unless I'm very much mistaken, would result in a very very long engine/box configuration, but the Alfa v6 was a nice engine.

Dare I mention Ferrari/Lambo I won't bother

you would never guess I've been looking at transaxle recently would ya. Hope others can expand upon this list.
BTW what power where you hoping to put through and what weight of car?
As for Transferse setups...sorry no idea

m8kwr

posted on 8/5/11 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Did not want to go to 500bhp thats for sure...

Was more then happy with a 2.0l something bolted to the back - something the formula ford etc.

The engine config is more for looks then performance, due to me not wanting the engine transverse.

I saw the alfa ones on ebay, they look way too long - but i like the prices at least!!!!!!

Richard Quinn

posted on 8/5/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RustyNuts
And if anyone could tell me how the VW dragracers beef their boxs up to take silly power I'd like to know.

I can't help with this in any detail but one of my first Autograss cars had a beetle box, well a sort of beetle box as all of the internals and the side cases had all been imported from the States. When I asked where the parts had originally come from I was told not to worry as I would never break it! Big money though from what I am led to believe.

As far as transverse options go, you could use virtually any fwd set up if you wanted. Most Class 9 grassers use the Vx F20 box (or the Berrisford two speed which is based on the Vx box). You just need to reverse the gear change mech where it enters the box so that the rod enters from the other side. Just a bit of hacksawing and tiging.

minitici

posted on 8/5/11 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a couple of NG3 Renault boxes sitting here.
One was from an Espace and I think the other was Fuego.

Can come with a complete 2L Renault engine!

[Edited on 8/5/11 by minitici]

scootz

posted on 8/5/11 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Porsche Boxster box or Audi 01X / 01E box.

PS - They are almost identical, but the Porsche ones always go for a lot more...

It's Evolution Baby!

m8kwr

posted on 8/5/11 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
minitici - U2U me a price please.
minitici

posted on 8/5/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by m8kwr
minitici - U2U me a price please.

U2U'd

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.