Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ideas for the next project....
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 11/5/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ideas for the next project....

Well the Life-Taker is moving along nicely (see other thread) but thats going to be for the track and serious racing only.

Thats deadlined to be finished by October for the Final Race of the RGB season.

So now I'm starting to think of what the next project will be (I have the build bug now). I always like to do something new and different and would like to come up with something a little special but still 'Locost'.

So a thread to throw in a few ideas, discuss and maybe bounce inspiration around. It would be a road and track car but not a racer.

My fist thought is that I have a picked up a Pug 306 GTi-6 which is a great track hack but also has a superb 6 speed gearbox that would lend itself excellently to a kit car (I think).... Thus I was thinking of building a car with the Pug engine and box mounted Longitudinally with one drive shaft to the front diff and one to the rear diff creating a 4wd car. This has been done a few times with off-road trials Land Rovers but not sure about in a kit car.

Any looney ideas welcome.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
HowardB

posted on 11/5/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
that would be fun, what kind of car did you have in mind, off road, road or track?

cad system at the ready!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

tomgregory2000

posted on 11/5/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
the problem you will have is the final drive reduction diff in the 6 speed gear box, so if you then run this through another diff (front and rear) you will then gear this down agen, so you get loads of revs but not much go.

Which is why 4x4's do it for rock crawling(sp) so they can get the weight in the middle of the buggy and a good rev range for a slow speed

beagley

posted on 11/5/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have to be petrol powered?

A few years back I had a crazy idea of taking one of these:
Campagna T-Rex
Campagna T-Rex

and converting it to be electric.

I pictured the electric motor sitting roughly just behind where the seats are and using a chain drive to the rear tire. I believe that it is basically the back half of a bike mated to the front half of a car. At least in theory the drive mechanism would be fairly easy to install, just the controller portion would be difficult. Also, with the new lithium ion batteries that are available you could get some very good performance out of it to boot. Definitely would be different.

And if anybody doubts the power of electric vehicles check these guys out. They're drag racers so not the same thing, but they have built a very cool drag car. Sub 11 second quarter mile is pretty fast
Plasma Boy Racing

For what is worth..... but please nobody beat me for going electric?

Beags

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 11/5/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
the problem you will have is the final drive reduction diff in the 6 speed gear box, so if you then run this through another diff (front and rear) you will then gear this down agen, so you get loads of revs but not much go.

Which is why 4x4's do it for rock crawling(sp) so they can get the weight in the middle of the buggy and a good rev range for a slow speed

DAMN! I knew there was a flaw in the plan.

Electric...... Hmmmmmm, the motors are great (powerful, torquey, simple, compact), its just that the batteries aren't and they aren't cheap either.

It'll probably be a honeycombe aluminium monocoque as well.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 11/5/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
diesel electric!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

daniel mason

posted on 11/5/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
what about one of the MEV range? they seem to do a few midi's the exocet seems cheep too (the mx5 one) but the atomic looks crazy. am sure i read in kit car mag it tipped the scales at 330kgs wit a 150bhp bike motor say in the passenger seat! nuts...

dilley

posted on 11/5/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
diesel! new MK Beam-r running 200bhp 320d engine? could be fun!
MK9R

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Well the Life-Taker is moving along nicely (see other thread) but thats going to be for the track and serious racing only.

Thats deadlined to be finished by October for the Final Race of the RGB season.

So now I'm starting to think of what the next project will be (I have the build bug now). I always like to do something new and different and would like to come up with something a little special but still 'Locost'.

So a thread to throw in a few ideas, discuss and maybe bounce inspiration around. It would be a road and track car but not a racer.

My fist thought is that I have a picked up a Pug 306 GTi-6 which is a great track hack but also has a superb 6 speed gearbox that would lend itself excellently to a kit car (I think).... Thus I was thinking of building a car with the Pug engine and box mounted Longitudinally with one drive shaft to the front diff and one to the rear diff creating a 4wd car. This has been done a few times with off-road trials Land Rovers but not sure about in a kit car.

Any looney ideas welcome.

Dont start anything until you have started racing, if the bug bites your next project will be to make the car go faster and ongoing repairing. A race car is never finished, infact no kit car is ever finished. I bought my Fury which had been competing for 4 years, since then i've been evolving it, and currently in the process of an entire new body design, its a full time project

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
what about one of the MEV range? they seem to do a few midi's the exocet seems cheep too (the mx5 one) but the atomic looks crazy. am sure i read in kit car mag it tipped the scales at 330kgs wit a 150bhp bike motor say in the passenger seat! nuts...

I like the MEV's, they looked great at Stoneleigh. Problem is that the Atomic is too close to what I'm currently building. The Mid engine one would be great with the Pug FWD setup in it though. Just a lot of initial outlay as well (£5k for an Atomic kit)

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
diesel! new MK Beam-r running 200bhp 320d engine? could be fun!

Why? Diesel is for lorries, tow cars and comuting, its crap at performance (despite what every boring rep' mobile owner tells me about "torque". BHP is the driving factor in tractable force and petrol engines do BHP so much better.

And before some mentions Le Mans cars they don't actually run on Diesel, they just use compression ignition and win via poorly equalised rules.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Dont start anything until you have started racing, if the bug bites your next project will be to make the car go faster and ongoing repairing. A race car is never finished, infact no kit car is ever finished. I bought my Fury which had been competing for 4 years, since then i've been evolving it, and currently in the process of an entire new body design, its a full time project

True, but I hate comprimise and I don't want to comprimise the Race Car with road bits.... I hate comprimise so much that I['m not even going to drive the thing for the 1st few races, I have my tame racing driver to do that.

Thus I'll have something else for the road to play with, currently its the 306 GTi-6 but I would prefer something that I have built.

Heather

posted on 12/5/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic and my view only.

I don't know if it is your cars real name or it may only be its 'stable name' but you are calling it this quite publically.
My husband and friends race in RGB and I personally don't like the thought of them racing against a car being called that name, I am certain that it would also upset quite a number of the other wives and girlfriends if they were to hear it.

I am sorry if I have offended but I felt that I needed to say something.

designer

posted on 12/5/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's a free country and people have the right to use whatever name they want, and this type of forum is not the place to post your objections to a name!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy S

posted on 12/5/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Where's David Cameron and Michael Winner when you need them.....
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
diesel electric!

I like that idea, remeniscent of Porsche Tank design, sadly I don't think I have the skill to do it justice, would be awesome though.

Edit..... Are there any current vehicle with a diesel electric drivettrain that could be used as a donor?

[Edited on 13/5/11 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heather
Slightly off topic and my view only.

I don't know if it is your cars real name or it may only be its 'stable name' but you are calling it this quite publically.
My husband and friends race in RGB and I personally don't like the thought of them racing against a car being called that name, I am certain that it would also upset quite a number of the other wives and girlfriends if they were to hear it.

I am sorry if I have offended but I felt that I needed to say something.

Really? REALLY?

I can't even begin to comprehend this statement, my mind boggles, it truly does. This sort of false offendedness is ruining this country.

You do realise that the names aren't literal don't you? You do realise that Fisher Fury's aren't actually driven by enraged trawlermen? Or that Raw Strikers don't go around hitting people with un-cooked meat?

We better hope nobody crashes an MEV Atomic or it could be another Chernoble.

I'll tell you what, I'll change the name to the "Super Happy Fun Time Friendly Kitten Hug Mobile" because that way it will completely change the car and the way that it is driven............ or not, because the name is just a series of letters tapped onto a keyboard and makes no difference to the car or driver.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.