Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Long distance drive to IVA?
mk1storm

posted on 12/5/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Long distance drive to IVA?

Well, would you believe it…. finally got far enough along with the build and plucked up enough courage to apply for IVA at Leighton Buzzard only to find out that they’ve had some sort of flood and for the foreseeable future they can’t do IVA tests due to damaged equipment!

Tried to get an approximate time scale from them on how long it’ll take for the equipment issues to be sorted but they cannot commit or even give a rough estimation.

So looking like having to chose another test centre which for me (excluding North London) the next closest one is Nottingham, which is 84 miles away!

Was planning to drive to Leighton Buzzard as it’s a route I do all the time (and of course is a lot closer) and it would have allowed me to bed the brakes in a bit and tweak the bias bar, but doing a 170mile round trip and a full IVA test in a car that’s never turned a wheel up until now is somewhat of a scary prospect!

I’ve no doubt others have driven this distance or further, but got to say I’m a tad concerned. Don’t want to trailer if I can help it, although I appreciate that this would be the sensible option.

Hmmm…. what do you reckon, should I just take the plunge and book in at Nottingham and just go for it?!

blakep82

posted on 12/5/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
leave in plenty of time, like an hour or two before you need to, and have a friend/family/randomer follow you with tools and tow rope?

bear in mind, that IF the car is to fail badly, on something major like the chassis not properly welded, for example, the tester can sort of condemn it, and not allow you to drive it away. not saying there's anything wrong with you r car, but something to remember

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 12/5/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Take the sensible option... !

It's Evolution Baby!

Bluemoon

posted on 12/5/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on how confident you are in the car... You don't want to lose the test fee...

I might be tempted but would at the least have someone following in a different car with tools ect. At that point it might be work out better trailering it after all if you can find someone to help you out..

Dan

[Edited on 12/5/11 by Bluemoon]

tegwin

posted on 12/5/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Is it worth taking the risk..

Stick it on a trailer... you can play with it once its registered...

No point in breaking the car before you get to the test...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

RichardK

posted on 12/5/11 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Put it on a trailer mate, wouldn't take the risk myself.

Cheers

R

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mk1storm

posted on 12/5/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well you're all making some valid points...

I guess driving it does have some fairly bad worst case (well not the real worst case I mean but fairly bad) scenarios - break down and forfit the test fee, have a bad fail at the test, have an issue part way which damages the car or makes it unsafe to drive.

Ok, I think I'm going to trailer. Perhaps if I have a friend drive the trailer 5miles away from home then I could do a bit of a check of the brake balance and then load it up and trailer the other 80miles there and back....

Dusty

posted on 12/5/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
If you lived in Cornwall ten years ago the nearest SVA centre was Taunton which gave a 200+ mile round trip. I drove for the first 30 miles or so to bed in brakes etc but had a mate towing a trailer and loaded with tools, spares, water, oil, food etc following on behind. Once I was happy with the car we put it on the trailer. Didn't want to use the car more than needed to prove all was working. There was a temptation to drive the 100 miles in it and have some fun but if it had a problem after 90 miles and couldn't take the test I would have been gutted.
Did drive it home after it passed! (Still followed by the trailer)

tomgregory2000

posted on 12/5/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Drive it.

Its not good if you dont have confidence in you car. I was disserpointed(sp) that my test station was so close
Plus it gives you a good chance to get your brakes to bed in and work when they test them on the rollers and its a wicked feeling driving a car around with no plates or tax knowing that you cant be done for anything

02GF74

posted on 12/5/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Drive it. If you don't have confidence in it, then you shouldn't have started.

Drive it round locally prior to the big one to check it stops and steers then allow plenty of time - as much as possible, 4 or 4 hours and take it easy all the way.

Bumble

posted on 12/5/11 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
That is a total pi**er!! I literally have my IVA Application forms, recepits and photos in a bundle ready to send out and living about 5 miles from the Leighton Buzzard test centre had planned on using them too. I contacted VOSA after reading your post and although the guy was helpful, they can only say that they haven't been carrying out IVA's since Christmas and are waiting on engineers from Germany to fix the equipment damaged by the flooding of the bays. No idea on timescale. They are accepting applications and then giving you the option to wait or go to an alternative test station. The closest alternative is Edmonton at approx 35 miles, then Derby at 90 and Nottingham at 100 miles. I guess I'll apply to LB and then put Edmonton as my alternative. Anyone got any experience of Edmonton?
Cheers,
Matt

mackei23b

posted on 12/5/11 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
First trip for me with the MK Indy was a 100 mile round trip to the SVA.

All went well, great feeling driving home!

That said some backup would be a good plan if possible, if not leave early and take it easy......good luck!

Cheers

Ian

eznfrank

posted on 12/5/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
On a similar note, why on earth are there centres in Derby and Nottingham just 15 miles apart and not one in Leeds for example! My connundrum is I can drive a supposed 32 miles to Manchester but involves going west on the M62 which is unpredictable at best or travel 58 miles going East towards Hull which is usually much quieter. Or down the M1 to Nottingham which is also undesirable. The one in leeds is about 5 miles from my house......typical
martyn_16v

posted on 12/5/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Drive it. If you don't have confidence in it, then you shouldn't have started.

Description
Description

It's one thing to be confident, but can anyone honestly say that everything they've ever done has worked perfectly right off the bat, no mistakes ever?

Unless you can do a proper shakedown in advance (e.g. track/test day), trailer it to the test, drive it to the re-test. £450 is a lot to lose if your shakedown run doesn't go to plan.

mk1storm

posted on 13/5/11 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Again, thanks for all the feedback.

I have to say after reading the advice I'm 60:40 in favour of trailering it therefore by a relatively slim margin I've decided to trailer.

Got to make some enquiries into 'borrowing' a trailer and tow vehicle. Think I can get a trailer, gonna see if I can grab a car from work.

Thanks guys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.