Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Veg oil in a 300 tdi disco.
focijohn

posted on 15/5/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Veg oil in a 300 tdi disco.

Evening all,
After putting £60 and getting 41 litres back in return I feel its time to get my arse in to gear and start using it instead of just thretening it.
Its a 96 300tdi discovery, filters and oils changed reguarly, sedimenter cleaned also, fuel pump has been turned up and EGR blanked (if that makes a difference).
I have access to my local bookers store and I think it works out to about £1/L but I will have to check. I only really plan to use it in the warmer months but I will see how it goes and cross that bridge when I come to it. I don't intend on running a split tank system just premix it at 50/50 or 30/70 (diesel/veg).
Is it just straight veg oil that I'm after as they have:
Veg oil (2 different companies),
Rape seed oil,
Corn oil?
Anyone have any experiances good or bad, adivce etc etc.

Thanks in Advance.

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

tomgregory2000

posted on 15/5/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on difflock.com in the fuel section
NigeEss

posted on 15/5/11 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have run both my 200tdi 90 and 300tdi Disco on pure veggy oil. Not all the time though as it got
to a point where the stuff was the same price as proper diseasel.
Both motors ran fine on even neat veg oil (used to buy in 20l cans from Costco) during the summer
the only down side being a bit rough and smoky for a couple of mins on first morning startup. Once
warm no difference to pump fuel, Always carry a spare fuel filter in just in case.

Winter I tend to run 1:1

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

kevmcdo

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
The first time you use it you may want to change your filters after the first tank full, you will be amazed how much rubbish the oil pulls out your fuel system even if you have been changing your filters regularly until present.
Once you change the filters you should run without fault.
I ran a 300tdi discovery with similar mods to yours for a full year without issue then made the mistake of buying an LPG V8 discovery

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.