Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rounded off screws
andrew-theasby

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
rounded off screws

I need to remove 2x 5or6mm countersunk screws from blind holes in a thin alloy engine casing. Any tips please ive already rounded them off, and tried one of them impact screwdriver thingys, its been soaking in plusgas for a few days now but im not convinced the small easy-out will get it, so before i do any drilling, was wondering about welding a nut on but not sure i could do it with such a small nut required and also the engine casing will only be made of toffee so i dont want to melt or distort that
Peteff

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
If they still have the heads on you should be able to weld to them if you are careful. Aluminium should help to dissipate the heat. Failing that don't bother with easy outs just drill as much out as you can and use a tap to clean up.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andrew-theasby

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Failing that don't bother with easy outs just drill as much out as you can and use a tap to clean up.

How would that work? Ive heard people say that before but wouldnt it just nacker the aluminium thread?

rusty nuts

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Left handed drill bits or screw extractors
big-vee-twin

posted on 16/5/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
You need a BOA extractor

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

monkeyarms

posted on 16/5/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Weld a large repair washer to the head of the screw, then weld a nut to the washer.
The washer makes things a bit easier.

BenB

posted on 16/5/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I would stay well away from Easy-outs. The fact that you've rounded them off shows they're seized. Easy-outs are not supposed to be used for seized fixings, just fixings without a head. If you use an eazy-out you'll end up having to drill it out to. Guess how I know I've always found the welding trick worked nicely. Depends what the screw is made from though I guess...
andrew-theasby

posted on 16/5/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks, ill try welding first then, i like the washer idea! Got plenty to go at now as ive just sheared another stud chinese junk!
Thurbs

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Drill off the countersunk head and get some grips on the studs when the covers removed (hopefully !!) at least reduces risk of damaging cover if further methods needed.
RickRick

posted on 26/5/11 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
tip for tight screws, before you round the head off, put a spot of grinding paste into the screw head, helps the driver grip
Daf

posted on 26/5/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
tip for tight screws, before you round the head off, put a spot of grinding paste into the screw head, helps the driver grip

I've never heard that before, how does that work? Brilliant tip if it works

locoboy

posted on 12/6/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have used this top tip before, it is an abrasive paste so essentially it provides additional 'grip' between the screwdriver and the part of the screwhead that the screwdriver contacts.

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.