Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why is the Centre of the Diff nose on an Atlas Off set?
Antnicuk

posted on 16/5/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Why is the Centre of the Diff nose on an Atlas Off set?

Been looking at getting my atlas diff and my gearbox a bit better aligned in attempt to address the vibration i have and noticed that the diff nose if off set from the centre by about 2-3 inches and just wondered why? Was the original ford engine/gearbox set up not in the middle of the car? i cant think why else the diff wouldnt be in the centre?

Does it matter if i have the diff and gearbox offset both vertically and horizontally if the angles at each end both match?

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

deltron63

posted on 16/5/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
So the uj's can work properly
blakep82

posted on 16/5/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
think its just because the half shafts are equal length, which means the crown wheel is slightly off to one side, and so the pinion is off to the other?
since the crown and pinion are individual items (there's only one of each in the axle) maybe it makes it cheaper to make all half shafts the same? i guess its more expensive to make them different lengths.

i understand you shouldn't really have a prop perfectly in line as it has asome bad effect on the UJ bearings (so i've heard) maybe it also ensures the prop is never perfectly in line and perhaps the bearings last longer if thats the case

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ashg

posted on 17/5/11 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
nope all wrong they did it to reduce noise

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

adithorp

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

Yep, it's a hypoid gear and they're offset in order to be quieter. There's an explanation in CompleteKit Car mag a couple of issues ago.

The Prop flanges should idealy be offset but the centre lines parrallel. This means the needle roller bearings in the UJ's move, so don't wear as quick as they would if continually sat loaded in the same position. The flanges/centre lines have to be parrale lto cancel out the movement in each other. Have a look at BaileyMorris site for an explanation.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Antnicuk

posted on 17/5/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
thanks chaps, very helpful

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

MikeRJ

posted on 18/5/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

Yep, it's a hypoid gear and they're offset in order to be quieter. There's an explanation in CompleteKit Car mag a couple of issues ago.

A hypoid gear will have the pinion set below (or above) the centerline of the crown wheel. I was under the (possibly incorrect) impression that Antnicuk was wondering why the pinion isn't centred between the wheels, rather than top and bottom of the axle?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.