Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cutting tubes at angles
blakep82

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
cutting tubes at angles

i know theres the tube 'mitreing' (mitring?) software showing you how to cut round tubes to fit the end of one into the side of the other (not REALLY what i'd call mitring)

is there any to help cut a tube at 45 degrees at the end? to fit two tubes cut at 45 degrees together end on end to make a 90 degree corner?
can't seem to find one

just tried with a 45 degree square thing, it was becoming a cork screw...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Killer

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't a normal mitre box do it? Isnt it just a straight cut at 45 degrees then??

Cheers

Rich

http://www.kilmartin.it/cgi-bin/gallery

blakep82

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, just a straight cut at 45 degrees, with a angle grinder. haven't got a mitre box, don't fancy buying any more tools just now, but need an easy way to mark the cutting line all the way around the tube

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RichardK

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Shame you're not closer as you could have borrowed my chop saw

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mitre box is just a 3 off cuts off wood!
dhutch

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Only software ive seen is for if you cutting a mitre on a round tube meeting another round tube by hand.
matt_claydon

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Use the generic tube mitring software, put 45 deg as the joint angle and infinity (or as close as you can get) as the dia of the tube you are joining to. This will give you a paper template for a straight 45 deg mitre.

I can't visualise what you'll get, but i suspect it'll be a sine curve or similar.

posted on 17/5/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
A plank of wood and 4 nails. Real Locost

I've been racking my brain cell and this is what I've come up with.

With your square mark a 45deg across a plank of wood.
With a rule mark a line parallel to the edge.
Knock 4 big nails a little way into the wood on the marked lines, nice and straight. (see pic)

To use G clamp the pipe to the wood against parallel nails and use the 45deg nails as a guide for a hacksaw.

Unlike the slot in a wooden mitre block the hack saw blade will run against the nails without wearing out.

If you wish when you have cut one (and got it perfect) you can wrap a sheet of paper round the pipe overlapping
the cut end and secure with tape. With a small hammer gently tap the cut edge under the paper and work round the cut.
This will cut the paper and give you a perfect paper template that you can photo copy and use.

Hope this helps.
Paul G

Description
Description

Steve Hignett

posted on 17/5/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
If you wish when you have cut one (and got it perfect) you can wrap a sheet of paper round the pipe overlapping
the cut end and secure with tape. With a small hammer gently tap the cut edge under the paper and work round the cut.
This will cut the paper and give you a perfect paper template that you can photo copy and use.

Just use a file instead of the hammer Paul, and it will "cut" the paper against the cut edge of the steel... (obviously, holding the paper tight against the steel tube with your free hand!)

posted on 17/5/11 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Just use a file instead of the hammer Paul, and it will "cut" the paper against the cut edge of the steel... (obviously, holding the paper tight against the steel tube with your free hand!)

Unfortunately Steve I sold my file to help finance the purchase of a 9" grinder.

Steve Hignett

posted on 17/5/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself down the market/pound-shop, they'd last at least a couple of go's on paper
blakep82

posted on 18/5/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
ha, 907 hit the nail on the head there!
nope, not block of wood and nails. 9" grinder! lol

my problems were mostly coming from having to make a cut with the grinder, turning it all round and cutting the other side.

got a cutting disc for my 9" grinder (only used it for stone/concrete cutting so far) and made 1 cut. much easier.

thanks for all the suggestions though!

mistergrumpy

posted on 18/5/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Angry grinding at 2200 hours? Some people are trying to sleep here!
blakep82

posted on 18/5/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
you could here it in lancashire?! nah, i did the cutting at about 4pm, just gone out and welded it up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.