Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electronic flasher relays
locoR1

posted on 18/5/11 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Electronic flasher relays

For those that have them can you confirm something for me before i send it back

Just received a supposedly Electronic flasher relay from car builder solutions i have a few concerns

To start with it flashes far to fast to pass an mot test let alone iva (was under the impression they flash at the same speed no matter what load you put on them)

Second it doesn't look like the one on the online shop, its just a plain black relay

And the big one it clicks like a normal relay so i don't think its an electronic relay

What do you think?

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Daddylonglegs

posted on 18/5/11 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
If it clicks, it ain't an electronic relay!

Edit: Unless they make it click for that warm fuzzy feeling

[Edited on 18/5/11 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

40inches

posted on 18/5/11 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same query with one I got from VWP, apparently the click is artificial, however I carefully removed the cover to check
and found no relay inside, but it needed 4 bulbs to work properly, this is, so I was told, to give the driver an indication that a bulb has blown. So you could check, if you find a relay it isn't electronic.

locoR1

posted on 18/5/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Waiting for CBS to ring me back i have normal bulbs in the front indicators, rear and side repeaters are led

He did comment about the artificial clicking so will see what he comes back with, doesn't sound good though it should be a blue relay

Description
Description

MikeRJ

posted on 18/5/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
40inches is correct, not all electronic flasher relays are load independent, some are designed as a straight replacement for a normal thermal relay and have load sensing for blown lamp detection.
rf900rush

posted on 18/5/11 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I had a simular need.

I wanted a relay that work on both LEDs and lamps plus made the hazard switching easier.

So I made my own See Linky

It takes the 2 indicator Switches and the Savage switch and then flashes the indicaotrs via 2 relays.

One test in my car at the moment, and all is well so far.

I did wonder was it worth making this as a little side line.

Just did not know if I could make it cheap enough to replace normal relays.

Martin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PeteS2k

posted on 18/5/11 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one of these:

Flasher

Standard bulbs up front, LED rear and repeater, though it claims to work with any combination, so seemed to be the best way forward should I move to LED fronts at some point in the future.

May not be a direct replacement, since it's a 3-pin, depending if you've got a pre-built loom. Mine is a scratch-built loom, but there was no problem wiring it into the Sierra switch circuits.

oh... and it clicks

[Edited on 18/5/11 by PeteS2k]

bbwales

posted on 18/5/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I use the flat motorcycle ones available from Halfrauds and find that they manage to control a mix of bulbs/LED's with no problem.

Regards

Bob

ken555

posted on 18/5/11 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
You can modify a standard one, if you don't mind loosing the "bulb failure" feature

See here

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoR1

posted on 18/5/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply's guys 40inches was spot on seems like some are just a direct replacement and flash faster to warn of light failure, having spoken to Ian a CBS the relay is going back to be replaced by the led type relay.

Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.