Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gear box
lugo35

posted on 19/7/04 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
gear box

hiya could anyone help me?. wot is the difference between a type 9 out of a sierra and one out of an xr4i??? been told one out of xr4i is ok with v8?? ( not looking for silly power at mo) also is the box out of an xr4x4 the same as the cozy box??? not being familiar with these boxes how can i identify themvisually??. these are probably easy ones to answer please help.
andy

dave69isit

posted on 19/7/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
gearbox

helo xr4i gear boxes hav a longer lay shaft than the overs cosworth boxes are mt75 boxes i think
cosworth

posted on 19/7/04 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
late spec xr4x4 and cosworth 4x4 both use the same MT75 box. The cosworth was never fitted with a type 9 box
Viper

posted on 19/7/04 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
XR4i was a type 9
XR4X4 was a 4wd mt75
2WD cossie was a T5

if you are using a V8 then go for the T5

[Edited on 19/7/2004 by Viper]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 20/7/04 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
[blatant plug] I've got a t5 box going if you're looking for one [/blatant plug]

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackie

posted on 20/7/04 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Some XR4x4s (2.8 engined ones) had a 4wd Type 9
stressy

posted on 20/7/04 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
XR4i box is as a type 9 casing, it has a longer input shaft so required a diffent belhousing to the I4 type 9 gearbox and a different set of gear ratios. This is the box you will find in your average caterham.
GuyA

posted on 20/7/04 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
The normal 4 cylinder Sierra with a Pinto engine (i.e. not DOHC) had a type9 RWD box.

The 2.8 XR4I, 2.8 Capri, Granada 2.4 & 2.8 manual are all V6 RWD with a type 9, this one however has a longer input shaft to work with a V6 and is stronger. This is the gearbox with it's belhousing that people use with the V8s (or as said befor, a T5).

The Sierra XR4x4 2.8 V6 uses a special 4WD version of the type9 i.e. has an output shaft that comes out of the back AND one out of the front that goes through the sump into a diff then out to the front wheels.

The Sierra XR4x4 2.9 uses a special 4WD version of the MT75 that generally has the bellhousing integral to the box, this then does the same as the 2.8 regards the diff ect..

It's best to find out what car the gearbox came out of.

If you go into the Google serch engine and type : type 9 gearbox : then click on 'view imeges' you'll find lots of pictures.

[Edited on 20/7/04 by GuyA]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.