Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to attach multiple earths to chassis
Irony

posted on 24/5/11 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
How to attach multiple earths to chassis

Finally got round to doing some serious wiring loom research last night. My part built car came with a wiring loom pre built but I want to make sure I understand all the aspects rather than just connecting them up and hoping for the best.

There are three earth points on the loom. Front middle and centre. The Front one for example has at least 5-6 wires taped together and mark up front earth point. What is the easiest way to mount 6 wires into the chassis so the connections are safe, secure and nicely weatherproof?

Cheers

Kev

Davegtst

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I drill and tap an M6 hole in the chasis then bolt them down.
Bluemoon

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have used wired earth connections on all the returns. The chassis is only then earthed in one place, this is only used as a return for a few unimportant items (horn I think). The earth was a brass nut and bolt in the foot well area next to the battery; out of the area where it will get wet, covered in Vaseline to stop corrosion used crimped/soldered ring type connectors to connect to the bolt.

I might be tempted to do something similar I would consider extending the earth wires back to the battery area. Earth currents though chassis are a problem waiting to happen and the kind of faults that are very confusing to fix..

[Edited on 24/5/11 by Bluemoon]

ashg

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
riv nut is the best solution

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

deezee

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I just welded an M6 bolt to the chassis in certain areas, then crimped rings on to the earth wires and popped them onto the bolt.

RichardK

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
As above

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Technically it's a bad idea to have multiple ring crimps on a single bolt. In many/most industries this would not be permitted as the large thickness of copper pretty much guarantees the creep will cause loss of clamping pressure over time with associated corrosion and poor contact issues.

In a real car loom you would typically see either multiple wires being terminated into a single crimp, or multiple wires being terminated to a single larger wire within the loom itself (with a type of butt connector) and the larger wire being terminated with a ring.

nick205

posted on 24/5/11 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Crimp all the wires together in a suitably sized ring terminal (probably the Yellow ones) and then weld a bolt to the chasis to secure the crimp to. Smear of pertoleum jelly to protect from moisture should be sufficient.

Don't forget to earth the engine/box to the chasis as well with a suitably sized braided strap. The rubber engine mounts insulate it quite well otherwise! (hope I'm not stating the obvious to you).

big_wasa

posted on 24/5/11 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
riv nuts are bad bad bad for earths in my opinion. Multi earths to one point are also not ideal. I have a 50x3mm bar that is the steering column bracket. I have a dozen or more bolts welded through this. Where I can I use seperate earths.
Bluemoon

posted on 24/5/11 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
riv nuts are bad bad bad for earths in my opinion. Multi earths to one point are also not ideal. I have a 50x3mm bar that is the steering column bracket. I have a dozen or more bolts welded through this. Where I can I use seperate earths.

Earth bus bar, sounds good to me, I must admit there are a few to many connections to the one bolt (not as bad as you might think though) just have to make sure it's tight from time to time

Irony

posted on 24/5/11 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I am going to have to go with the Rivnut idea. I agree that a welded bolt would be a better option but I don't have any welding facilities at all. Would a Steel rivnut or a ally one be better? I am leaning towards ally as it conducts electricity better than steel.
nick205

posted on 24/5/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Steel over Ally as the ally will react (galvanic corrosion)with the surrounding steel tube and end up producing a poor/failed earth connection. Make sure the hole for the rivnut is clean inside and out before you set the rivnut.

Macbeast

posted on 24/5/11 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
NO !! As said above, rivnut is no good. Especially aluminium to steel. And multiple ring terminations on one stud are bad too.

I would use something like this:-

[

[Edited on 24/5/11 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Irony

posted on 24/5/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
NO !! As said above, rivnut is no good. Especially aluminium to steel. And multiple ring terminations on one stud are bad too.

How do I attach it without welding???

McLannahan

posted on 24/5/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast

How do I attach it without welding???

Could you not drill through and bolt it on?

blakep82

posted on 24/5/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
bolts ^ or drill and hold down with self tapping screws. probably need a seperate earth for everything that way (or groups of 3 or 4? don't know really)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeR

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
So where do you buy one of those from?
(and whats a good price)

martyn_16v

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
VWP sell the multiple spade earth blocks, only a couple of quid. Or free from your local scrappy, they're on plenty of cars.
Irony

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Surely if I bolt these on I might as well have used a Rivnut?????
Daddylonglegs

posted on 25/5/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Surely if I bolt these on I might as well have used a Rivnut?????

I think the issue with Rivnuts is that they can corrode where they meet the metal and you will never see it, unlike a bolt which you will see if the connection is getting crappy.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.