Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exporting stuff for processing
flak monkey

posted on 26/5/11 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Exporting stuff for processing

I need to export some bike parts to have them black nickel plated as no-one in the UK is interested.

I emailed HMRC and got a reply back saying that I need to use Outward Processing Relief.

I need to fill in a couple of forms, but I would need to send the bits by carrier as the PO want to charge over £150 without insurance. But I understand that the only place to get a C&E 132 form certified is at the post office?

Anyone done something similar before?

Seems complicated...and the regs are vague!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

balidey

posted on 26/5/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I am sure you are expecting the usual replies of 'have you tried this company'.... so here goes.

Have you tried Peterborough Plating? A friend of mine had some very dark grey nickel plating done by them a few years ago. Wasn't pure black, but maybe they (or other people) can offer something very close to what you want?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

balidey

posted on 26/5/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Or, and I don't know enough about the process to be more accurate, but could the parts be chemical blacked first, then a nickel plate on top?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

MikeCapon

posted on 26/5/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Where are you sending them David? I presume outside EU?

Another possibility is a PVD coating. I'd not suggested this before due to cost but if you're sending stuff a long way then PVD might be viable. A mate of mine is a Doctor at Cranfield and he specializes in surface treatments. Now your budget seems to be going up he may be able to help?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 26/5/11 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Some more info for you David from my colleague.

Black nickel is apparently not that easy onto ally. His view is also that you should consider a PVD treatment. The range of colours and finishes is vast.

Two recommended companies:

Teer Coatings at Droitwich

and

Tecvac at Cambridge

I have worked with Tecvac in the past with good results. Teer are apparently doing some work for a big luxury car company at the mo including gloss black treatments onto ally.

In terms of hardness and corrosion resistance PVD will blow any kind of nickel into the weeds.

HTH

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
emidas

posted on 26/5/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't have to bother with OPR. Where are you sending them to, what is the approx value of the items you will have plated and what is the approx cost ?
flak monkey

posted on 26/5/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, the price for coating all the parts I need doing with black nickel is $415 plus shipping both ways, thats by Meclec (in California) who do the plating for Ultima for the engine that I have that I want to match. That price includes stripping the chrome, repolishing then replating.

I have tried all the usual suspects. Peterborough Plating can't do black nickel. Only one I have found in the UK is Macro Developments and I am still waiting for a price from them. They say they can do it no problem but I haven't had any details from them yet.

Black chrome isnt possible on to aluminium as I am reliably informed by more than 1 plating company in the UK.

This is getting very annoying, not least because there are several companies who advertise they do black nickel who when approached don't or won't. They all say they can do one-offs as well.

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 26/5/11 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emidas
You shouldn't have to bother with OPR. Where are you sending them to, what is the approx value of the items you will have plated and what is the approx cost ?

Cost of processing is $415, value of parts £1500, being sent to the USA

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 26/5/11 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I have emailed Tecvac and will see if they respond Thanks Mike.

Sera

Jasper

posted on 26/5/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
We have to send stuff for repair to the States sometimes, all I can say is it's a complete PITA, good luck!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

emidas

posted on 26/5/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
sent u2u
James

posted on 26/5/11 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
The person who I'd automatically ask about this and would most probably know where to get it done in the UK I took to Heathrow this morning for a 2 week holiday!

How much of a rush are you in?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

flak monkey

posted on 26/5/11 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks James, Not a major rush, just trying to plan.

I actually had some success with black chroming enquiries today. After being told by 2 platers that it coudlnt be done on aluminium, I spoke to another who said that it was possible, just difficult. Waiting to hear back. If so that would mean I can get stuff done in the UK...

Time will tell.

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.