Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: x flow head skim
johnq

posted on 27/5/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
x flow head skim

does anyone know how muc you can skim an early x flow head (chambered) head, in order to rais compression, ie can it go down to being flat, i know it might be easier to get a newer head but this one is nicely ported and has an unleaded conversion, thanks in advance,johnq

looks like rain again

D Beddows

posted on 27/5/11 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
No, that's absolutely the wrong way to go about it! - either sell that head somewhere like Turbosport and use the (probably decent amount of) money you'll get to buy a good version of the much more common flat head OR keep it and get some flat top lotus twin cam pistons. Skimming it to the extent you're talking about will probably render it worthless

Advice over.......as it happens I have some twin cam pistons I'm never going to use which I'm willing to sell on BUT you will need almost certainly need a rebore to fit them - u2u me if you're interested

skodaman

posted on 28/5/11 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
He's right you know. To get the info you need check out Wallage and Grommit sorry Peter and John Wallage Rebuilding and tuning X-flows and Pintos. It is however common consensus that the chambered head's aren't much use for tuning. Also you don't know how much if at all your head has already been skimmed so you'd have to do some pretty accurate measurements of squish clearances. I thought about offering to swap ur head for my GT flat head cos I'd rather have lead-free head than the performance initially but I don't think this would do either of us any favours. D. Beddows alternative is an interesting one well worth looking into cos you can keep ur lead free head which isn't cheap. Though we all know the cheapest way for power is just to go Zetec there's just something about crossflows.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.