Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: photo editing program
hootsno1

posted on 30/5/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
photo editing program

HI all
bought the wife a new digital camera Sony a550 what i need is a editing program that will cut out parts of the backgrounds
take out bits like when you do the silly fingers behind the head at a wedding sort of thing!!! but it must be idiot proof she tried photoshop and say its to complicated?
can anyone recomend anything.
many thanks
Mark

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

blakep82

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
if she wants to take say, fingers out from above someones head, then what will she replace it with? thats the problem. to be honest, photoshop is probably the best one to use. the 'layers' you build up make it easy to move parts around, erase bits without affecting everything else.

but, whatever program she uses, its not easy to do. if photoshop is too complicated, to be honest, i think she'll struggle with any of them. don't mean that in a bad way!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

flibble

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed. ^^
Photoshop can be a little daunting I guess if you're not used to that sort of thing. Tell her to look at a couple of online tutorials for it, she'll soon pick up the basics

austin man

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Photoshop has a few different versions, Elements is the less complicated and supported by the majority of DSLR magazines which have discs and tutorials . For the removal of items you need to learn how to use the clone stamp which copies other sections of the photo and transplants them. It is far easier with a grahics pen and tablet rather than a mouse, there are a few of these on the market Bamboo appear to be one of the better ones. I have one which is around ten years old its still saves time and simplifies editing.

This picture was done with Photoshop CS3 the car was outside the MK workshop at the time and the picture of the Abbey taken later in the day a simple bit of edition and Voila

Description
Description
Description
Description

PS if she intends to get additional lenses the old Minolta one fit and are a fraction of the cost of Sony ones. I have managed to pic up 2 for my sony A200 the dearest one for around £65 for a 80 - 300 zoom also the Sony has a special flash mount again making them dear items I picked a new one up from Ebay for £35.00 non sony item

[Edited on 30/5/11 by austin man]

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

hootsno1

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys just orderd a tablet and she will try that on photoshop and we found some youtube videos to use as tutorials

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

Macbeast

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Most photo editing programs offer cloning, which would be a pretty easy way of removing intrusive fingers ( other than a good slap )

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

austin man

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
would also advise that she take a camera course to get the best from it. I paid £80 at a local college night course. I was well worth it I never really bother with the auto settings now anc choose to go for the manual settings which give you a greated control over what your taking. Therefore impacying upon the outcome.

If you havent a printer I would recommend one of the Cannon Pixmia range with 5 ink system the output is phenomanol

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

T66

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
paintshop pro is easy to use, photoshop is far too complex for basic tidying/cropping of pictures.

http://tinyurl.com/3ljxu32

snapper

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Crucial
Don't work on the original photos
Duplicate the originals, work on the copy's

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

sssline

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
paintshop pro is easy to use, photoshop is far too complex for basic tidying/cropping of pictures.

http://tinyurl.com/3ljxu32

Another vote for paintshop pro from me, although worth noting that the x2 version does not support Sony RAW format x3 does, ot at least it did not for my A200's output files.

Cheers
Tony.R

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Everybody,
All the above software advised, as good as they could be, are all "proprietary" which means that their code is closed, and you have to buy a licence to use them, if you don't want to use the illegally (everybody knows what I mean...)
There is a very good free alternative to Photoshop, it is called The Gimp. The gimp is an open source software, which means its sources (code) are open, and this one, on top of it is 100% free, legally downloadable and copyable (licence GPL).
The Gimp is almost as powerful as Photoshop, and so far, the only thing I noticed that can't be done as Photoshop, is recording a macro, but I am not a Photoshop expert, there might be some other advanced things it can't do... but to advanced for what you want to do, I'm sur The gimp is perfectly suitable to your needs.
Everything on the official website : http://www.gimp.org/
Of course, as it is free and open source, there are plenty of free tutorials and courses on the web.
It is of course available for Windows and Mac, and The Gimp is the photo editing reference software in the Linux World (where Adobe has no room)
Hope this will help.
Cheers.
S.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I use The Gimp, and it's very powerful. Works on Windoze, and usually comes built in to Linux distributions.

There are also some on-line tutorials.

(damn - too slow!)

bassett

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ive used gimp but always found photoshop cs4 better, takes an age to understand but the final outcome is generally a 3-5 times better picture although at a cost.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/5/11 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
picassa is pretty easy to use

Peteff

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've used Serif Photoplus for years and find it does all the things I need for a lot less money than Photoshop.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mad4x4

posted on 31/5/11 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
I use gimp both on windows and Linux, been using for years. also there is a protable version that runs from a usb stick .

Best bit is no License to worry about. That make all the difference and you get use to the quirks compared to photoshop. Only thing I found was the filters were not as cool.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

David Jenkins

posted on 31/5/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
The best bit about Gimp is that it's free, and easy to get onto your machine. If it doesn't suit you, then it's easy to get rid of and you won't have wasted any money.

Photoshop is the best - but it's expensive. If you find it too complicated, or you can't get on with it, then you'll have spent a lot of money that you'll never recover.

I know what I'd try first!

[Edited on 31/5/11 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.