Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weber vs Throttle
Longerr

posted on 31/5/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Weber vs Throttle

Hi,

I got a stock Duratec and I'm thinking about getting a weber kit. What kit do you prefer to install with the duratec and are there any other price affordable solutions how to put together weber that would be quite easy to get and to install, for example from different parts and so. I would welcome any idea. I dont want to spend £2.000 on a kit so I'm looking for something with better value for money, thanks for any ideas

http://locost.webnode.cz/fotogaleria our build so far

doddy

posted on 31/5/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
why dont you use bike thottle bodies you can get mainfolds ready made for around £150 then a set of bike throttle bodies around £100 little bit of work need a nice ecu job done should be able to do it all for around £700

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/4x4wheels

r1_pete

posted on 31/5/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs would be better VFM than Webers, just as much power and stay in tune better, ZX9R, GSXR1100 etc yield good 40mm carbs, try Bogg Brothers for a manifold, £300 should see you up and running.

ITBs probably better still, I'm building a set in between more important jobs, using GSXR750 K1 bodies.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 31/5/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Dont bother with carbs, waste of money

Go for fuel injection everytime

Longerr

posted on 31/5/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Bike throttle bodies would be fine I think. But in this filed I'm total novice. I don't even know what parts I would need to put it together, where to get them and how to put everything together, so sorry for this step by step procedure

perksy

posted on 31/5/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, When you say a "Weber kit" do you mean one of the Weber Alpha packages designed to fit the Duratech ?
OR just fit a pair of Webers 45's to your Duratech ?

big-vee-twin

posted on 31/5/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Are going through IVA cos emissions may be an issue with carbs, get some Throttle bodies and Injection like these

[img] Inlet Duratec
Inlet Duratec
[/img]

Suzuki GSXR 750 from 2001 and a Fastdan manifold who is a member on here.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Longerr

posted on 31/5/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Sorry, When you say a "Weber kit" do you mean one of the Weber Alpha packages designed to fit the Duratech ?
OR just fit a pair of Webers 45's to your Duratech ?

By a weber kit I meand something that I would buy and install and that's it. No other changes and tuning would be necessary. But I realized how expensive those kits are so I have to go another way, but am not familiar with bike throttle bodies at all, thats why I'm looking for info that would explain me step by step what to get, where and how to put it togerher

matt_gsxr

posted on 31/5/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
this will get you started if you go bike ITB, its a good little mine of information.

http://www.neileverett.madasafish.com/mods/mods_throttle_bodies.htm

Duratec is probably slightly different, but this describes the general strategy.

Big bike carbs can work, but bike ITB are much better (emissions, efficiency, emissions, idle quality, emissions, and tunability, and not 15+ years old like most boke carbs now are).

Matt

MkIndy7

posted on 31/5/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a whole stock Duratec, is there any reason not to use the standard inlet?

Admittedly you would require a stand alone ECU like a megasquirt to run it, but it would make an easy install and retain all the standard breathers etc as ford intended.
It should also see an improvement in power as there are likely to be improvements in the exhaust system and induction over stock that can now be exploited and be very drivable.

Longerr

posted on 1/6/11 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
If you have a whole stock Duratec, is there any reason not to use the standard inlet?

Admittedly you would require a stand alone ECU like a megasquirt to run it, but it would make an easy install and retain all the standard breathers etc as ford intended.
It should also see an improvement in power as there are likely to be improvements in the exhaust system and induction over stock that can now be exploited and be very drivable.

I would like to have at lest 185HP or more, I'm not sure if that power would be possible with standart inlet, Bike throttles looks like a good alternative I think

MkIndy7

posted on 1/6/11 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Perfectly good reason then, just depends on your budget etc.
I've run R1 throttle bodies on a Pinto and tuneing it myself sure wasn't easy compared to the Duratec with standard inlet we've got in now.
No idea of horsepower but it's a hell of a lot faster than the Pinto with TB's and much more drivable.
Could always run the standard inlet for a year and learn, then swap over the following winter to TB's if you still desire more power.

Longerr

posted on 1/6/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
So I would get bike throttle bodies and a manifold to put it together but what about the ecu or how will the engine management know how to run this setup?

MkIndy7

posted on 1/6/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever inlet setup it would require a programable ECU and mapping unless you had the complete car loom, imobilisers and key etc and even then it may not run properly without the wheel speed sensors etc

Bike TB's would require a manifold making from scratch, a kit or by purchacing a complete setup, the TB's may also need re-spacing and a fuel rail.

Longerr

posted on 1/6/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I know that it would need a perfect fit manifold, I saw some duratecs with bike TB already, so I think it could work and they must have it from somewhere. I red about the re-spacing of bike TB as well and modification of fuel ramp but what I still don't know where to get programable ECU. What are the suitable manufacturers of ECU for this setup?

MkIndy7

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Probably the cheapest ECU setup would be a Megasquirt from somewhere like www.extraefi.co.uk
Or others are available such as DTA, Omex etc systems.
If your setting it up yourself it's your choice otherwise it makes most sence to use whatever your local/best rolling road prefers using and has experience setting up.

If you still have it already I still wouldn't rule out using the standard duratec inlet, and buy a higher quality or feature packed ECU and then upgrade to say Jenvys at a later date or when you chance upon something better for a good price.

whitestu

posted on 1/6/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of Kawasakis [ZX6R, ZX9R] use rubber inlets with flange ends that can be bolted to a homemade manifold plate. As long as you can respace the TBs and get rubbers of the right size a manifold can be put together at home for about £30.

I did this with my ZX6R carbs and it works great.

Stu

BaileyPerformance

posted on 2/6/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Longerr
Hi,

I got a stock Duratec and I'm thinking about getting a weber kit. What kit do you prefer to install with the duratec and are there any other price affordable solutions how to put together weber that would be quite easy to get and to install, for example from different parts and so. I would welcome any idea. I dont want to spend £2.000 on a kit so I'm looking for something with better value for money, thanks for any ideas

I would go for Jenvey 45s with megasquirt.

[Edited on 26/1/2012 by ChrisW]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.