Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mini diggers?
garage19

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mini diggers?

I have this crazy idea of starting up my own small groundworks company!

Just a one man band kinda thing leveling gardens and digging extension foundations. I'm not out to make millions, just be my own boss and get out of the office environment.

My question is do I require any type of license to drive a small 360 digger; is there any weight/size restrictions where a license becomes needed?

Thanks,

Doug.

nick205

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about legal requirements, but I do know that digger drivin' is ace fun!

Good luck in your ventures!

woodster

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
i've been hiring and driving diggers up to 13 ton for about 25 years and never had a license or been asked for one by the hire company ........ try phoning hewden hire part of there company is C.A.T they should know

cheers woodster

James

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
When my Sister was at primary school my Father was part of the PTA DIY group. One weekend they were in digging a pond and had a small digger.
My Dad stayed later than everyone else to finish off the digging (I suspect coz he was enjoying using the digger too much). Everyone was really pleased he'd stayed late to do the pond...

.... it was just a pity that in his enthusiasm he swiped the back of the digger into the wall of one of the classrooms...

.... and pushed the wall in!

James

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Its not the diggin bit thats a problem Its what you dig up thats the expensive bit.
We get stuff dug up all the time and they charge the damage to the company who did the damage. A fibre optic link 80 fibres cost 1800 thousand to repair ductwork and fibre + loss of service and road closure temp works orders.

Insurance picks up the cost for these so better make sure your company has one.

On the subject of digging get a cat and genny....and learn how to use it...it could save ya loads. As is getting the local PUDs from power GAS and telcos + water.
They arnt 100% but they tell you mostly whats there before you dig......
CITB is the ticket you require if you want to work for some one and New Roads and streetworks Act for work in the public highway. They also teach ya about the cat and genny as well as ID of services to what you have on public utility drawings.
Other than that good luck

My job gets the calls to the cables dug up and ducts crunched all the time. Particulary in the spring when builders do the groundbreaks on empty plots and verges.......think of the overtime...

Peteff

posted on 21/7/04 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
My brother in law runs a groundwork firm and has a couple of JCBs. He has to employ trained drivers and the course they go on costs £2000 and lasts around a fortnight. They have to undergo training to drive dumper trucks as well as most of the sites he works on will only allow certified drivers for insurance reasons. He has a small Kubota digger and I think it's the most dangerous machine he has, but that's because he drives it up a soil heap to put it in the back of a pickup for transport .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

millenniumtree

posted on 21/7/04 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I could have sworn this topic was about converting a morris mini into a digger...

That would be a pretty cool project. How to get the treads on the mini? How to purposely get the front wheels to spin at different speeds/directions??

A fun engineering exersize/nightmare for sure...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 21/7/04 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by millenniumtree
I could have sworn this topic was about converting a morris mini into a digger...

That would be a pretty cool project. How to get the treads on the mini? How to purposely get the front wheels to spin at different speeds/directions??

A fun engineering exersize/nightmare for sure...

I think you've watched too much "Monster Garage"......LOL.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hortimech

posted on 21/7/04 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
for what you are thinking of doing Garage19, you would probably be better off with a mini tractor fitted with backhoe and loader. with backhoe removed you can fit a tiller, harrow etc, in fact anything a big tractor can do but smaller. This would give you more versatility and hence the chance of more work.
just make sure you know what you are doing, get training if required and above all else get insurance.

Why does everything happen to me

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/7/04 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
and no one made a joke about Doug with a digger....

atb

steve

r3nuf

posted on 21/7/04 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Doug,

I run a demolition company in the Ipswich area and regularly employ guys to drive 360 deg excavators, JCB 180's etc.

You need a ticket for everything these days. It does depend on who your clients are tho.

Otley college are probably the best bet for you. They run regular courses to obtain your CITB / CSCS cards. (It is generally a 9 day course for a newbie, i think)

Insurance is an important bit too. There are too many contractors out there with little or no insurance, especially in the demolition and groundworks games.

Good Luck

Gary

Dave Ashurst

posted on 21/7/04 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Its not the diggin bit thats a problem Its what you dig up thats the expensive bit.

Couldn't agree more. Do not dig until you know what's there. Get a detector at least and know who to call. Then if you uncover anything get the right people out straight away.

Pierced watermains are relatively safe and the most dramatic to watch, but gas mains and high KV cables are surprisingly shallow too!

Personally I like the idea of being a demolition contractor. At least you can say "that's what I meant to happen" and most people will believe you.

Also, the demolition contractors I know drive expensive cars.

garage19

posted on 22/7/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Steve - Everyone I mention it to has raised the doug and digger joke!

Gary - Is it called something like CNC demolition with yellow vans? I worked with those boys when they pulled down Ballingdon bridge and I was on the supervision team out there.

Insurance - was the first thing I got a quote for. I thought it was going to be extortionate but £470 for down to 3 metres and a million quid cover seemed ok?

Utilities - I'm used to doing utilities searches for works that i order so that shouldn't be a problem. How much does a CAT cost?

Not going to be working on the highway so streetworks shouldn't apply to me and its unlikley i will work on any sites that require CSCS.

I thought if i kept the digger small enough (1.5-3) tons I would be able to get access easier to peoples gardens and not be competing with the big boys.

Sort of work i was thinking was:
Extension/consevatory foundations
Self build foundations
Pond/pool digging
Landscaping and leveling
Driveways
Drainage work for farmers
+ setting out service for all above

Maybe get in with some small builders or conservatory companies for regular work.

What do you guys think would be a reasonable day rate?

All this feedback is really apprectiated. I'm aiming to be up and running and jack the old job in by may next year.

Thanks,

Doug - or with out a digger, Dougless!

timf

posted on 22/7/04 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garage19
How much does a CAT cost?

http://www.parkertools.co.uk/macros/Product.mac/Product?VisitorID=HHHHHHH88LJ&Status=guest&ProductNo=0569259&StockNo=0

r3nuf

posted on 22/7/04 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Doug,

Yep, up until 4 months ago i was a director of CDC Demolition based out of Waldringfield.

Ballingdon bridge was one of my contracts that i was responsible for (Both the demolition of the old bridge and the temporary bridge!).

Andy Matthews was our supervisor, whom you can probably remember.

Do you work for SCC or Costains then?

I went through a period where i was seriously considering setting up on my own and doing a similar thing to you. The mortgage had to be paid and mouths had to be fed, so i went a different route, and am now a manager of a demolition and asbestos removal division of a much smaller company.

The insurance quote seems very good. Watch out for any excess. At CDC we had 10 million cover with £20k excess and it cost about £120k per annum!

I think that you should have no problem getting work, once your name has been banded about a bit.

Who knows i might even have some work for you at some stage!

Cheers

Gary

garage19

posted on 23/7/04 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Gary,

I had a great summer working on that bridge. We (SCC) were working in a partnership contract with costains. Their site engineer was a very fresh work experience civils student just like me and between us we set the whole thing out which was a real achevment for us back then when you consider all the added complications of that temp bridge!

They were a nice bunch from CDC. That remote controlled pecker was a smart bit of kit!

Thanks for the advice Gary, I'll drop you a business card when I'm up and running!

Still wondering what to charge for a day rate? What would you expect to pay?

Cheers,

Doug.

hortimech

posted on 23/7/04 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
its not what we would want to pay, its what any of your competitors are charging that counts.
make a list of them, make up some jobs, ring them up and ask how much to do job and while your talking to them just ask how much they charge an hour etc. when you know how much they charge, you can set your charges accordingly

Why does everything happen to me

r3nuf

posted on 23/7/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Doug,

With regard to rates that you should charge, you must bear in mind that you can hire a JCB 3CX with operator for £16-18 per hour around Ipswich.

So your rate would probably be around this or slightly cheaper.

I would have thought that you would be better off trying to do most of your work on a price. At least that way you give yourself an opportunity to gain a financial advantage when you complete the job early. (Or it costs ya, if you can't get out of bed in the mornings!)

Re: Remote controlled demolition machine.
When you can drive an excavator you should hire it off CDC, it will only cost you about £450.00 a day! Mind you it did cost £55k when new.

Cheers

Gary

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.