Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front Width?
Krismc

posted on 5/6/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Front Width?

The front of my car is over 1 half wider than the rear, why is it set up like this?

Is there a reason? just i can get the offset changed by removing the spacers on the wheels mnr said i had to have, too bring the front level with the rear, but want opinions first?

Im thinking my handling will be improved if i remove the spacers and also my arches might fit better.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

tomgregory2000

posted on 5/6/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
you have spacers fitted on the front?

[Edited on 5/6/11 by tomgregory2000]

ffrgtm

posted on 5/6/11 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
3/4ths of road cars have a wider rear track (presumably for aesthetic reasons)... 3/4ths of race cars have a wider front track.

From an sae paper: "When selecting the track width, the front and rear track widths do not necessarily have to be the same. For example, track width is typically wider in the front for a rear wheel drive race car. This design concept is used to increase rear traction during corner exit by reducing the amount of body roll resisted by the rear tires relative to the front tires"

Kind of the opposite of what you would think huh...

In my case I like a narrower rear track because I can gain a lot of time through cone slaloms at autox

Krismc

posted on 5/6/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
you have spacers fitted on the front?

[Edited on 5/6/11 by tomgregory2000]

Yeah, i asked what offset my wheels needed to be and i was told ET35 so i bought ET35 and then marc at mnr said i needed spacers so ive got 12mm(or mybees 15mm i cant remember) in the front, i had some in the rears as well but they appear to have gone walkies!! im guessing someone took them out as i didnt need them, but they never gave me them back!!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

steve m

posted on 5/6/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
My 7, has a much narrower front track than the rear
daniel mason

posted on 5/6/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
front track should be slightly wider than the rear on the mnr. from hub face to hub face i think its about 5 to 10mm

[Edited on 5/6/11 by daniel mason]

Krismc

posted on 5/6/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Try 25mm

bassett

posted on 5/6/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Strange you say about the wheels i was always told et23 which isnt the ford norm.
daniel mason

posted on 5/6/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
me to basset. i have the caterham r500 rims in that offset.
kris. what width is the rear between the 2 hub faces and what width is the front?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.