Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what a twat!
chrisbeale

posted on 6/6/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
what a twat!

Well, went to the Norfolk coast this weekend with the girlfriend in the 7. Half an hour on and just coming off a roundabout, splutter splutter cough cough. Oh dear sounds very bad. Indicated, repeaters going mental, great blown bulb too. Just as I'm coming to a stop everything cuts out. Even the clock.out I get undo the bonnet thinking the battery wire has come loose, no all good. Everything looks to be in order. Try ignition again still nothing. Hmmm. Wait a minute what was that the girlfriend said 2 mins ago? My foots getting cramped. What's located in my passenger footwell, ah yes the battery isolate, which I discovered is now turned off. Phew.

But that's not all it gets worse.

Jump back in car, belt up, start up, indicate, check road is clear and pull out into the A10. What the yell was that that just flew past? Oh fuck. Lesson number one when looking under the bonnet, make sure you fix it down again afterwards. I was lucky that the road was clear both ways and I could retrieve it with very minimal damage.
Won't be doing that again.

clairetoo

posted on 6/6/11 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I've done a similar thing with my Fury , trouble is it's on gas struts .... It lifted up blocking my view ahead at
about 60 , and because of the struts didn't blow back down as I slowed !
No damage , but a bit scary steering by watching the kerb !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

coozer

posted on 6/6/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm on my 3rd bonnet!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Strontium Dog

posted on 6/6/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Lol, I wrote off a mk1 Cortina like that when I was a young lad! Bonnet killed the roof and screen as it folded up and onto it and the hinges did for the scuttle. Of course nowadays It'd be well worth fixing!
David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of years ago I'd gone a couple of miles along country roads at moderate speeds, then gave it loads of beans to accelerate onto the A12... when I got to around 70mph my bonnet lifted off and flew over my head...

Fortunately the Force was with me, as

* It didn't hit me in the face as it came off
* It didn't cause anyone else to have an accident
* It didn't get run over by someone
* A nice man on a pushbike ran out and picked it up off the road before someone DID run it over

This was the total damage, so I reckon I got off lightly...
Rescued attachment bonnet.JPG

Scared the willies out of me, especially when I thought about what COULD have happened...

I'm still trying to think of ways to light a warning lamp (or sound a buzzer) if the bonnet catches are all unhooked while I'm on the move (although I've now noticed that I can see a reflection of all of the latches in the back of my chrome headlights).

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Its a rite of passage to loose your bonnet if you own a seven.......l

But doing it 3x is really funny

eddie99

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I'm on my 3rd bonnet!

PMSL

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dhutch

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have a rule that i NEVER put the bonnet back on withot latching it down, even if i know its got to come up befor ei next drive that car, unless i have pluged the coil back to prevent it starting.

I also have an fia type isolator with the extra four connectors so it will cut the engine and short the +ve to prevent blown bulbs and the like. Not that ive fitted it yet....

Daniel

Humbug

posted on 6/6/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
A couple of years ago I'd gone a couple of miles along country roads at moderate speeds, then gave it loads of beans to accelerate onto the A12... when I got to around 70mph my bonnet lifted off and flew over my head...

Fortunately the Force was with me, as

* It didn't hit me in the face as it came off
* It didn't cause anyone else to have an accident
* It didn't get run over by someone
* A nice man on a pushbike ran out and picked it up off the road before someone DID run it over

This was the total damage, so I reckon I got off lightly...

Scared the willies out of me, especially when I thought about what COULD have happened...

I'm still trying to think of ways to light a warning lamp (or sound a buzzer) if the bonnet catches are all unhooked while I'm on the move (although I've now noticed that I can see a reflection of all of the latches in the back of my chrome headlights).

How many have you got? (I was thinking of the phrase "like a dog with two d!cks"...)

Miketheconn

posted on 6/6/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of computer cases and server cases have intrusion switches that cut the power to the system if the lid is taken off. These could easily be used to rig up a buzzer or light or something and shouldn't be too dear and should be realatively easy to source. If I had any spare time I would try knocking something up, but as my Locost is a pile of rusting metal sat in a garage a mil away from my house (My wife jokes about it telling other people I'll show them my kit car or at least the boxes its still in) and I have a 1970's bettle on axel stands at the back of my house and a 1984 Renault Camper I am desperately trying to get ready for T in the Park, I'll leave it to someone with more time and tallent than me.
David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/11 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

How many have you got? (I was thinking of the phrase "like a dog with two d!cks"...)

I've had no complaints...

steve m

posted on 6/6/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
3 ??

im still on the first, and its not come off yet, but i do R clip the latches

David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miketheconn
Lots of computer cases and server cases have intrusion switches that cut the power to the system if the lid is taken off. These could easily be used to rig up a buzzer or light or something and shouldn't be too dear and should be realatively easy to source.

The trouble is, the switches would have to be linked to the latches, not the bonnet. There wouldn't be any point in fitting switches to the bonnet itself, as (in my case) the bonnet was sitting perfectly in place until "lift off". The only alternative would be to fit light springs to hold the bonnet up until latched, so the switches could operate.

Steve - R-clipping the latches is fine, as long as you remember to close them (which I hadn't).

[Edited on 6/6/11 by David Jenkins]

daniel mason

posted on 6/6/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
i forgot to fasten down the nearside front corner on my last mnr and as soon as i accellerated hard, the wind got under it,lifted the front corner,ripped all the other catches clean off,and smashed in about a million bits on my helmet!
so this time my car has full cage with front roll bar:

David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I think the Westfield has the neatest idea (as seen on "A racing car is born" ) - the bonnet has pins in the front that locate into the rear flange of the nosecone. The back of the bonnet is held down by key latches.

Even if you forget to lock the rear latches shut, the worst that's going to happen is that the bonnet's going to clatter around until you stop and fix it - the wind can't get under the front and lift it off.

[Edited on 6/6/11 by David Jenkins]

coyoteboy

posted on 6/6/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Got to say I'd have thought failsafe bonnet locking mechanisms were the first thing you'd think about when building these cars, the Westy mechanism is the LEAST I'd want!
RickRick

posted on 6/6/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
i have added front and rear, in the center of the bonnet 1/4 turn fasteners that are sprung, probably dzus, they stick up when not locked so it's obvious, they saved my bonnet first or second run after adding them as one corner started flapping due to loose catch
HowardB

posted on 6/6/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I've done a similar thing with my Fury , trouble is it's on gas struts .... It lifted up blocking my view ahead at
about 60 , and because of the struts didn't blow back down as I slowed !
No damage , but a bit scary steering by watching the kerb !

Wow!

no gas struts on mine,....

how you getting on with the MX5 donor?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

clairetoo

posted on 6/6/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB

how you getting on with the MX5 donor?

Still not even touched it...................although I have been thinking of nicking the 1.6 out of it for my Fury

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.