Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra IRS Chassis plans
twinturbo

posted on 22/7/04 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra IRS Chassis plans

Are ther any chassis plans for using the Sierra IRS set up?

Cheers

TT

ned

posted on 22/7/04 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
The tiger avon book or Darren @ GTS can supply them.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lord dave

posted on 22/7/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
wishbones

does ne1 have the plans for the wishbones for the gts. pdf on the site doesnt load. can i use book wishbones with gts chassis and sierra? I recieved my chassis plans today and it does not include wishbone dimensions. cheers

[Edited on 22/7/04 by lord dave]

twinturbo

posted on 22/7/04 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone got a pic ov the AVON chassis?

Anyone know if the AVON chassis comes with wishbones?

TT

James

posted on 22/7/04 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
TT,

Why would you want to use an Avon. Everyone on here who is building one says it's a bag of shite!

James

craig1410

posted on 22/7/04 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't the GTS kit a de-dion kit only? I don't remember seeing an IRS version. Having said that you might want to look at the GTS kit AND the de-dion option as it is a compelling design!

Cheers,
Craig.

ned

posted on 22/7/04 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Craig,

he asked about using the sierra IRS setup which i think the GTS dedion does quite nicely

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 22/7/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,
Oh right, I see what you mean now. I read it that he wanted to build an IRS car based on a Sierra...

Cheers,
Craig.

twinturbo

posted on 23/7/04 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
If there are any plans using the Sierra rear wishbones then that would be the way I would go at first.

Probably end up just modifying the live axle plans to incorporate the sierra arms..

TT

phelpsa

posted on 23/7/04 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I am building my own Stuart Taylor IRS rear end as the part built chassis I bought came with ST wishbones and uprights. I talked to Alex Roebuck http://www.locosaki.co.uk/ (who had built one and then crashed it on his first trackday) and he allowed me to come and take measurements. Very helpful chappy. In the midst of building it now.

Adam

Bob C

posted on 23/7/04 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra doesn't have wishbones, it uses a semi- trailing arm like the BMWs. I think Steve Gusterson used the sierra backend and loudly advises anyone else not to! 'Cos it's all big & heavy & not really suited to locost style consrtuction. I used mx5 uprights + my own wishbones + sierra diff; if I hadn't decided to use the mx5 bits I would definately have considered the GTS de dion.
twinturbo

posted on 23/7/04 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Mhh that setup does look good,

I was wondering how feasable fitting the ABS would be those mountings unfortunatly obscure the toothed wheels..

TT

twinturbo

posted on 23/7/04 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yes Technicaly they are Trailing arms.. And They are a bit heavy and Cumbersome..

It's difficult to envisage the GTS setup from teh picture on their website.

TT

mackie

posted on 23/7/04 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
My advice is not to use the sierra rear suspension and to go de-dion if you want to use a sierra rear end and want the least amount of hassle.
Are you familiar with how de-dion works?

twinturbo

posted on 23/7/04 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I used to be but can't visualise the system anymore...

TT

Mix

posted on 23/7/04 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I can't remember / find the site I got this from but I'm sure somebody on here will know.
mackie

posted on 23/7/04 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twinturbo
I used to be but can't visualise the system anymore...

TT

Well think of it like a normal live axle but with the diff rigidly mounted to the chassis, the half shafts going to the hubs and a bar joining the hubs together that passes behind the diff. The trailing arms are then attached to brackets at either end of the bar (the de-dion bar) and bingo you have a suspension system.
It's simple and effective, giving excellent traction (due to lack of camber change in squat), reduced unsprung wieght compared to a solid axle and overall it's lighter compared to IRS too. The only significant problem being the effects of mid corner 1-wheel bumps on the camber of the other wheel (due to it not being an independant system).
Given that more and more people are using Sierras and live axle donors are becoming rare I can see many people going down this route.

Cheers,

Mackie.

hortimech

posted on 23/7/04 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
can I ask a question?
why not use leaf springs with the dedion axle,
you would not need the trailing arms and brackets then.

Why does everything happen to me

craig1410

posted on 23/7/04 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know much about leaf springs but I'd expect they are much heavier than coilovers and since you need to mount a damper anyway, you might as well wrap a spring around it. Also, I don't think(?) that a leaf spring provides a very positive method of location which trailing arms and panhard rod certainly can.

Cheers,
Craig.

hortimech

posted on 24/7/04 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I,ll give you the heavier bit, but not positive attaching the axle. I am an horticultural engineer ( lawnmower mechanic) by trade, one of the machines we sell/repair is the kawasaki mule, a 4wd truck thing, top speed about 25mph, but fitted with a dedion axle and leaf springs. these trucks go everywhere and the axles never move (apart from where they should)

craig1410

posted on 24/7/04 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, as I said I don't have much experience of leaf springs...

The reason I was expecting them to be poor in location (mainly longitudinal location) is due to the fact that it is designed to permit movement at the end of the spring. Having said that I guess it is only one end which needs to have the flexibility so the other end can be firmly fixed.

One question I still have though: How is the "rotation" of the axle controlled? With trailing arms (5 link axle) the rotation is controlled by virtue of there being 4 trailing arms which are commonly (not always) the same length and thus stop the axle from rotating about the same axis as the wheel. How is this done on a leaf spring axle?

Cheers,
Craig.

pbura

posted on 24/7/04 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
A few thoughts about leaf springs vs. coilovers:

-- The coilovers usually used are racing-type gear, allowing an easy and inexpensive change of spring rates.

-- Coilover dampers are usually either adjustable, or purpose-built to match the spring ranges used on Locosts. Finding plain tube shocks for a car as light as a Seven would be a challenge, IMO.

-- Rear axle hop under acceleration can only happen with leaf springs.

-- The Locost is designed to use coilovers, with much bracing in the shock towers, while there's no place to put leaf springs (IMHO).

For more details, see http://www.coilovers.org/

Pete

Pete

hortimech

posted on 24/7/04 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
the axle is fastened to springs with 2 u bolts at each end. the u bolts pass through a plate which is part of leaf spring. in the middle of this plate is a hole, a projecting peg from dedion axle locates into said hole. result is a strong and reliable axle which does not give any problems.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.