Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra rear wheel bearings torque
andrew-theasby

posted on 9/6/11 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra rear wheel bearings torque

Been doing a lot of searching and it would seem 200-250n/m is the torque for the rear wheel bearings hub nut. Is this correct as it sounds way too tight for taper roller bearings, or are there other bearings available that this refers to? I've read about them locking up. I always thought normal ball bearings were as tight as you could get them and taper ones needed torqueing, backing off then running and re torqueing. Havent nipped them yet but 200+ will surely nip taper bearings too tight wont it? Or have i got the wrong bearings as the nut is a nylock, not one with a split pin. Anybody know for definite? Thanks
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 9/6/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Rear Wheel bearing are normal bearings though aren't they? I'm sure mine aren't tapered roller bearing like the Cortina front bearings.

I could be completely wrong though.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tomgregory2000

posted on 9/6/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
disc or drums?
Peteff

posted on 9/6/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
They are not tapered, crank them up. They seem stiff at first but once it's on it's wheels they soon free up.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Bluemoon

posted on 9/6/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra are not tapered roller. The pre-load is determined I believe by the machining, the torque setting is only to hold the nut on

Some have had difficulty with the bearing being to tight this might be due to rubbish getting in the way, worth making sure the assembly is clean on the mating surfaces (i.e. a bit of rust/grit may be enough to increase the pre-load). Not had mine apart so this is only an educated guess. As has been mentioned they will be tight ish to start with and loosen up after 100miles or so.

Dan

andrew-theasby

posted on 9/6/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
The ones i took out, and the brand new ones i bought are tapered...?
Its a disc braked axle

[Edited on 9/6/11 by andrew-theasby]

[Edited on 9/6/11 by andrew-theasby]

Davg

posted on 9/6/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Andrew
despite what previous posts have said the sierra bearings are definately taper roller bearings!!!!!!!!!

Torque for the driveshaft nyloc nut should be around 200lb ft.

cheers D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

flak monkey

posted on 9/6/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes they are taper roller bearings. The running clearance is set by the machining on the half shafts and the bearing carrier not by a nut preload like on most. Odd, but thats how it is.

Your torque figures are correct.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

andrew-theasby

posted on 9/6/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks. How free should the splined end of the drive shaft be to run through the middle? I cant get it free enough to push through by hand, i have to draw it it on both with the nut for the last bit, is that ok?
Davg

posted on 9/6/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yep that is ok, the shaft has to be a very tight interferance fit with the inner bearing cage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.