Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is this for?
chris_psmith

posted on 10/6/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
What is this for?

Hi all, new to the site and hoping for some help.
My friend passed away at Christmas leaving a Locost in bits around the garden / garage / shed etc. I have agreed to put it back together for his wife so her kids can have some fun with it or sell it as a complete car.
I am getting through the rebuild, picture here:
http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/chris_psmith/Terrys%207/

One bit that is bugging me is this pannel, it is the same construction as the front wheel arches and the rear tail section so assume it fits somewhere, but where?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/6/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
untrimmed dash panel ????????????

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

chris_psmith

posted on 10/6/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
It is wider than the car which is why i am struggling, best i can come up with is for behind the seats.....but would need cutting down.

Chris

Danozeman

posted on 10/6/11 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a universal dash panel to me.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

austin man

posted on 10/6/11 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
is it a side panel ?

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/6/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
good on you!

As has been said it looks like either a dash (which you dont need) or a side panel, which I dont think you need but can only see one side.

The side panels run from the front whishbones to the rear arch, but I dont think it is one, as there is no bend... I'd say GRP dash.

Is the car road reg'd?

EDIT to say, I have just checked the pictures and wonder if her was going to trim it down to be the tunnel top???

[Edited on 10/6/11 by Dangle_kt]

chris_psmith

posted on 10/6/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well glad it's not just me, both sides are fine so can't see why he would have bought it for that, the dash had already had the 'leatherette' glued to it so he was obviously intending to re-use it so doubt it was for the dash. The tunnel was completely open and was obviously having something done, but the lip angle is not 90 degrees on the panel so wouldn't fit right onto that.... so still a bit of a puzzle.
Car is registered as an old M reg and according to a sheet his wife found it passed SVA in 2002 and registered as a JP racing JP1.
Nice spec - 1660 x-flow rebuilt by autosprint, hepolite pistons, a2 cam, high flow oil pump, vulcan engineering maxi-flow big valve unleaded head.
Saying that the spec sheet also describes it as having a 'custom built wiring loom', i can think of better descriptions for the mess of wires that i have had to sort through!

Thanks all

Chris

mookaloid

posted on 10/6/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Was he going to cut it up to make a boot box?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

chris_psmith

posted on 10/6/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, boot box, no idea, assume that would be some sort of insert over the tank?

Chris

stevec

posted on 10/6/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Its a Flymo, you use it for cutting grass,
Steve

matt_gsxr

posted on 10/6/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
put your address in your profile. it sounds like the sort of good cause that folk might like to help with.
pekwah1

posted on 11/6/11 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
how about, and this is a 'crazy' idea.... he bought too much and that's some spare?
i know i've certainly got stupid amounts of metal/fibreglass/plastics in my garage!

chris_psmith

posted on 11/6/11 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Flymo......nice one Steve.....
Well buying too much is an option, as Terry was in the automotive industry like me and of the more is better school of engineering, i have a number of spare clocks and gauges that were obviously 'just in case', but then again he did work for VDO.
Anyone got any photos of a typical boot lining so i could see if i could use it for that?

Plan is to hand the car back to his wife Julie some time in July. Things still to do:
1. Fit the front arches - he had bought some new ones, i assume they just screw on but how do you stop them fracturing if you do that, some rubber isolation?
2. Gear lever gaiter - cheapest i have found is £29 delivered for one with a surround which seems expensive.
3. Get the carbs set up, was running very rough when i took it for a spin round the estate yesterday for a bit of a shakedown, no good from past experience at twin carb set up so will have to break with habit of a lifetime and pay someone.
4. Get tracking set up and new front tyre.
5. MOT, well pass mot is what i mean.
6. Paint it.

I will sell off the spare gauges to cover some of the build cost, only spent £53 so far and would be nice to hand it back to Julie with no need to pay anything, happy to do the hours for free and we have been lucky managing to find the various bits in boxes in the shed and garage. Also came with two doors, i can see no way that they would ever fit the car so assume Terry bought these as an impulse buy, so I will probably sell these as well. Taking the scrap metal that is left over (ally rear / starter. clutch cover, alternator etc) to the scrap man today to get some more funds.

Glad to have found a forum on this car, wish i had found it a few weeks ago when i was trying to wire the dash up!

Just made my first mistake, fitted a washer bottle and jets, the jets are not adjustable so the water sprays at the strip on the bottom of the screen

Thanks all, any advice appreciated.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.