Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 5VY, valve adjustmet
a4gom

posted on 13/6/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
R1 5VY, valve adjustmet

Anyone done it?
Is it a big task, can you do it in the car, does the head need to come off?

Got a ticking noise which is def rev related on one cylinder, (opposite end to timing chain)

It's only started recently second to last run at Harewood and is quite loud.

I'm hoping it might be the header gasket as the nuts had worked loose but I haven't had chance to check it out yet and I'm just trying to think ahead.

There are loads of posts on the net about the yamaha "tick" but no definite conclusions on what it is or how you cure it. It might be this? Plenty of posts saying just ignore it but the engines aren't under the same load or stress in the bike as they are in my car.

Hopefully it will be the gasket, if not I hope it is nothing to worry about as I won't have time to strip anything before my next sprint on Sunday.

[Edited on 13/6/11 by a4gom]

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

bassett

posted on 13/6/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about giving this a go with the limited knowledge of my engines past but i carried out a compression test first, wet and dry and was pretty happy with the results to not to worry about anything else for the time being. I think valve adjustment is just rocker cover and timing chain cover on the side. Sounds ok from the Haynes manual and id definitely pick one up if your looking to do it.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

a4gom

posted on 14/6/11 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Bassett, I don't think there is a problem with compression, certainly no drop in power and it runs sweet as a nut its just the tick, tick, tick.

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.