Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec conversion - parts list confirmation
pjay

posted on 17/7/11 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately COP won't help the height if you think of using the Raceline cam cover. Any reason you're wanting COP?

I've got the alternator on the driver side but sounds like the driver's footwell is the real problem. How far over is it pushing the bellhousing?

Aux drive belt set up
Aux drive belt set up

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/7/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
my understanding is that the cam cover saves about an inch its as high as the lowest side on the original cover

apparenly you can get detail from the Raceline brochure

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

se7ensport

posted on 17/7/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
COP... because I have it, I've already done the wiring loom and the cost of new HT leads, I'm also expecting to be able to align them to my existing bonnet bulge. If need be I'll revert to wasted spark.

I think about an inch dent in the footwell might do it, as that should give me more than an inch at the front of the engine and I need just under an inch. It's due to the flange and bolts that push it over, otherwise the profile would have cleared.

Time for the lump hammer...

Re cam cover:

"Duratec-R aluminium cam cover improves bonnet clearance by between 30-50mm depending on the engine type, while improving the aesthetics of the engine immeasurably. As well as the low line aluminium cover, the height clearance is made possible by a sunken spun ali filler cap opened with use of an allen key."

Trouble is the front of the cam cover rather than the oil filler. I'm hoping to mount the engine lower to remove the problem, I'm going for 100mm ground clearance with driver and passenger, just need to find a couple of bodies to put in the car to take suspension measurements.

[Edited on 17/7/11 by se7ensport]

redeye

posted on 17/7/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
alex

Sorry to go off topic but looking at your photos I see you have a different pulley tensioner for your alternator.

Im guessing this is a new one fitted to the focus engine.

Would you happen to know the part number for it, may possibly be written on it as it would be ideal for my duratec install as im fitting gsxr TBs and have limited space for the TPS.

Looks like a very tidy install btw.

Many thanks

Patrick

se7ensport

posted on 17/7/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Focus 2009 aux pulley part number:

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Odd thing is I can't find any way of tensioning this setup, I thought the pulley might have a concentric pivot but it doesn't:

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Engine has now been lowered to 100mm ground clearance (95mm with passengers), combined with a bit of footwell bashing and cutting back the bolt mountings on the bellhousing has given the clearance for the bonnet.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Alternator needs another 5mm for clearance which isn't going to happen so I'll be buying a smaller one and relocating it to the other side of the engine.

pjay

posted on 17/7/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Alex - Looks like you've cracked it! I run with 100mm ground clearance and haven't had a problem so far.

Interesting about the the lack of adjustment on the tensioner pulley. Which exhaust side alternator mounting option would you go for.

Patrick - also interested in the part number for the tensioner part. I've got gsxr ITBs and I made up an aluminium mount for the tensioner pulley:

Tensioner Pulley
Tensioner Pulley

redeye

posted on 17/7/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much guys, that gives some options to look at

Need to source the alternator before I decide how to run it.

Many thanks

Patrick

redeye

posted on 17/7/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought Alex, the tension isnt taken up by the alternator itself is it? is the alternator movaable or is it fixed in one position?

If it can be moved along the mount then this may be the way you tension the belt

se7ensport

posted on 17/7/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec ford focus aux tensioner

When collecting info before the swap I cut & pasted this into my notes, I think this came from Flak:
"The 2006 onward 1.8 duratec ford focus is fitted with a spring loaded tensioner. This fits where the power steering pump would normally be on the 2.0 engine. Available from Ford for about £70, but also from the breakers for about £20. The ford part number is 3M5Q-6A228-AD. "

Now on the 2009 things are a bit different; the alternator is solidly mounted top and bottom, there is no adjustment in this setup, the same goes for the power steering pump that runs off a second pulley on the crank, my suspicion is that Ford is using belts with more elasticity in them so the stretch creates enough tension in the system, this combined with running 6 groves in the belt should prevent slipage.

I'm now considering using existing alternator but cutting the mounting legs down and adding washers to space the top pulley out to take out the slack, potentially less work and cost than sourcing a new alternator. If this doesn't work I'll probably have to mount an alternator on the exhaust side.

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/7/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
The Focus pulley is spring mounted and rotates against the spring, it is this that tensions the belt.

When fitting the belt the pulley is rotated on a concentric cam anti clockwise which allows you to slip the belt over easily.

The internal spring then tensions the belt, it is not elasticity in the belt itself.

The inlet manifold that I designed in conjunction with fastdan (the one he now sells) has an offset in the first runner to allow space for the TPS.

[img] Focus Pulley
Focus Pulley
[/img]

[Edited on 17/7/11 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

Nitrogeno25

posted on 19/7/11 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
quote:
Originally posted by radom
quote:
I'm going to put the request out there early: does anyone have a duratec spark map that they are willing to share??? Any format will work as I'll manually convert it.

Thanks
Alex

at the bottom of the page
http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/dtas80_tech.shtml

Thats brilliant, thanks for pointing that out, I'd been through his site before and found other info, but missed that!

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Engine info (198.9bhp@7000rpm):
2.0 L Duratec
IW030 Injectors
Tony Law manifold
4-2-1 Exhaust
Standard Engine Internals
Standard 3bar Fuel Pressure
Titan Roller Barrels
Sequential COP and Injectors
Coil per plug OFF
Twin Spark ON
Sequential Injection OFF

source: http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/dtas80_tech.shtml

It's strange how much advance they used at readline. I saw other maps with about 26-28º at redline and full throttle...

Nitrogeno25

posted on 19/7/11 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Its the standard filter from a 2009 Focus, FINIS number 1595247, part number 1S7E-6714-BA.

Luckily I don't have a chassis bar in the way that will foul it as it's a Stylus chassis rather than a seven, unfortunatley it also means the engine mounts I bought from FastDan aren't going to fit as they will be too narrow. I'll be aligning the engine next weekend and deciding what to do for the mounts, will probably be buying the plates from Dan and making the rest in situe (end result will mean my engine mounts will be up for sale).

On a similar note the dipstick location on the Raceline sump isn't great, it comes out directly below the engine mounts, the only way to get a dipstick in currently would be to drill a hole through the mount!!! Needless to say I'll be factoring in a mod to my mounts.

About the oil filter, can these be used??

http://www.burtonpower.com/pr6719.html

Furyous

posted on 3/8/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Would you mind measuring from the bulkhead to both the front and back of the engine, and also the height of the engine, top to bottom? It looks like the Stylus bonnet slopes down almost immediately from the scuttle, whereas on the Le Mans Fury the bonnet lump is level until quite far forward. The reason I ask for a measurement to the back of the engine is because I'm wondering if my gearbox would need moving. That's not ideal because it would mean a new propshaft. I think my box is a couple of inches further forward than it really needs to be.
se7ensport

posted on 4/8/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
Would you mind measuring from the bulkhead to both the front and back of the engine, and also the height of the engine, top to bottom? It looks like the Stylus bonnet slopes down almost immediately from the scuttle, whereas on the Le Mans Fury the bonnet lump is level until quite far forward. The reason I ask for a measurement to the back of the engine is because I'm wondering if my gearbox would need moving. That's not ideal because it would mean a new propshaft. I think my box is a couple of inches further forward than it really needs to be.

8 inch from bulkhead to back of engine

28 inch to front of engine

23 inch sump to top of cam cover (front which is the heighest)

7 inch bellhousing, i've included this as the front of my gearbox protrudes 1 inch from the bulkhead or level with the chassis member that the bulkhead is mounted to.

Dare you duratec?

ps I've bought an alloy oil filler cap so that I can cut the top off level with the top of the filler allowing me to raise the sump by 10mm to 100mm ground clearance, I'll then cut a groove in the top of it so that I can open it with a coin.

Furyous

posted on 4/8/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that. It looks like it would be about the same as the Crossflow that's in it now, just fatter. Does the Stylus have a ledge about 6 inches below the scuttle? I measured from the leading edge of that ledge. My gearbox is an inch or so in front of that. The front measurement seems ok. It's as far forward as the Crossflow, assuming things like water pump and alternator don't stick out any further. The height is fine. It looks like it might actually have an inch more ground clearance on the sump. The crossflow could be a lot higher if the oil filler tube wasn't three feet long.

Photos for reference (not my car or photos)

Link 1
Link 2

Now I'm wondering how much space the air intakes and filters take up. I think I saw a photo of a Duratec where the intake was angled upwards.

And I need to decide if I want the hot exhaust on my side.

se7ensport

posted on 5/8/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
No ledge on the Stylus, just drivers footwell:

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

se7ensport

posted on 18/8/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
dip stick and oil cap

Low profile oil cap made from RS alloy filler cap and dip stick tube made from 8mm fuel hose with original top section of tube re-used.

[img] low profile oil cap
low profile oil cap
[/img]

[img] low profile oil cap 2
low profile oil cap 2
[/img]

[img] dip stick
dip stick
[/img]

se7ensport

posted on 10/9/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
RWD Bellhousing spacer for type 9 gearbox

Following the thread regarding the spacer that is SUPPOSED to be supplied with the bell housing to stop a layshaft from coming adrift I have been supplied with the spacer free of charge from RWD Motorsport and a thermostat as a goodwill guesture. It only took 2 1/2hours to get the engine out and back in again, but it's put my conversion back 4-5 weeks as its a two man job. Hopefully I can get the wiring in over the next few days, then it is just the plumbing, exhaust and inlet to sort.

[img] engine back out
engine back out
[/img]

[img] RWD Bellhousing spacer
RWD Bellhousing spacer
[/img]

It really is a pi$$y little spacer:
[img] RWD Bellhousing spacer install
RWD Bellhousing spacer install
[/img]

big-vee-twin

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sympathise with you mate, only just got mine in after two weeks being on the garage floor, all for as you say a stupid little spacer.

[img] Layshaft retaining bolt
Layshaft retaining bolt
[/img]

se7ensport

posted on 20/9/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
DICE throttle bodies

Bit of progress over the weekend and this evening; I've completed the loom and it's now mostly fitted and I have aquired a set of direct to head throttle bodies which I have trial fitted. Need to identify and purchase the correct TPS connector and find a way of fitting the exhaust manifold without removing the engine, I'm hoping to post it through the front wheel arch!

[img] DICE Throttle bodies
DICE Throttle bodies
[/img]

[img] DICE Throttle bodies 2
DICE Throttle bodies 2
[/img]

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 20/9/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmmm shiny...
karlak

posted on 21/9/11 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Bit of progress over the weekend and this evening; I've completed the loom and it's now mostly fitted and I have aquired a set of direct to head throttle bodies which I have trial fitted. Need to identify and purchase the correct TPS connector and find a way of fitting the exhaust manifold without removing the engine, I'm hoping to post it through the front wheel arch!

[img] DICE Throttle bodies
DICE Throttle bodies
[/img]

[img] DICE Throttle bodies 2
DICE Throttle bodies 2
[/img]

Looking good, what TB's are those ?

Have you sorted your Fuel pump yet and the return to the fuel tank ?

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

se7ensport

posted on 21/9/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle bodies are by Dave Ingle Competition Engines (DICE) stocked by Pumabuild: http://pumabuild.com/pumacat/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=75&products_id=1099

Not cheap at £1250 (but I purchased used).

I'm not using a return line from the engine bay, I didn't on my GSXR setup and the standard Duratec fuel system on the Focus doesn't use one either; I do have a fuel regulator inline immediately after the pump & filter that returns to the tank.

se7ensport

posted on 4/12/11 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Well the exhaust manifold fits via the wheel arch, practically made to measure even though it's from a Quantom, it's back off to have the lambda boss relocated.

Engine is now fully pumped in, took a bit of a creative approach to keep all pipes away from the exhaust side of the engine; I've flipped the radiator 180 so that both inlet and outlet are on the passenger side, additionally the fan is now a sucker rather than a blower allowing it to sit further into the nose cone making sealing it in for optimum cooling easier.
[img] Radiator 180
Radiator 180
[/img]

[img] Plumbing
Plumbing
[/img]

While I was at it I changed the diy oil catch tank (sports drinking bottle) to a slightly nicer looking bit of alloy and mounted it down against the chassis rail.
[img] Oil catch
Oil catch
[/img]

Ford KA tps should be with me Monday, once it's fitted and the manifold back on I should be able to get it running (bar a fair bit of tinkering with ECU!)

big-vee-twin

posted on 4/12/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Coming on looking very nice, I may catch you up one day, recently I've been building a Megasquirt MS2 V3 with extra code. I modified it to do direct coil waisted spark so I dont need an EDIS.

Going to start fitting it to the car over the next week or so/Xmas.

[Edited on 4/12/11 by big-vee-twin]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.