Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dry sump system
noc231073

posted on 22/6/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Dry sump system

After a lot of research I think I going to fit a dry sump system to the busa engine

Any info of which system Big cc? Sbd? Nova ? Etc
Anyone with any experience of any of the above

SJL

posted on 23/6/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am using the SBD version and it has been very good. I was advised to use the small water pump that SBD supply and have since had to upgrade it to the EWP80 as in hard use the temps would creep up quite a bit.

There are lots of hidden costs going down this route I think I spent in excess of £500 at Think Automotive on pipework and unions .

Plus the tank from Westfield.

Anything else just ask

Eatpies99

posted on 23/6/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by noc231073
After a lot of research I think I going to fit a dry sump system to the busa engine

Any info of which system Big cc? Sbd? Nova ? Etc
Anyone with any experience of any of the above

May i ask why you decided in the end to go for a dry sump?? Im unsure which route to take....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
noc231073

posted on 24/6/11 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
well with what i have read and spoken to people you have ran a hayabusa engines and it seem the only way to prevent or prolong engine failure is a dry sump system
here is a quote from sbd website

We are regularly asked about wet sump for track use, because dry sump is thought to be too expensive, in the tests we have carried out over a 5 year period, we haven't found a wet sump system capable of maintaining a consistant oil supply to the oil pump at the high G-forces that are achieved in track use. The only system that came close, was so complex & bulky and cost more than a dry sump system. We therefore do not recommend this sump for Competition or Track day use, a dry sump system is the only option for Track use OS-DSK-BUSA-01 (see above).

and to be honest i tend to believe them.
Mk told me at the start when ordering my kit that they race with only the swing sump without any problem...which as usual with mk is bull s**t . I have since found out that they had to rebuild there hayabusa engine in last years race car half way through the season.. and since they sold that car it is after blowing 2 engines since last october i think... all these engines ran a swing sump and its just not up to the job...they have since blown an engine in the new race car ..which i think they said it was a hole in the rad but ... i don't know... i know they have now fitted an accusump since blowing the first engine...
i also spoke to a guy who run a hayabusa striker here in Ireland ...he has race it for the last 4 year and hill climbed it and has never had an engine failure because he run a dry sump kit. he did do some upgrades to the engine in the 3 year

so i think that enough for me.
cheaper to fit a dry sump than replace £3500 worth of an engine

Davegtst

posted on 24/6/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
MK told me the same thing about the swinging pickup sump and how they had run it for years with no problems. More BS from them then, can't say i'm surprised. Mine won't be doing much track work and a dry sump is too expensive for me at the moment, i'll probably get an accusump when it's on the road.
noc231073

posted on 24/6/11 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
an accusump is fine for the occasional track day and the road ... but any more than that it will have to be the dry sump

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.