Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know owt about LPG? Tin top problem
pmc_3

posted on 30/6/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know owt about LPG? Tin top problem

Recently I bought a Vauxhall Omega 2.0 16v with an LPG conversion as the new daily hack/family/tow car

I've not had any problems with the LPG until this week apart from reasonably poor mpg (19-20mpg) but I put this down to the lambda sensor that needs replacing.

On tuesday when I filled up I twisted on the hose as usual, locked the lever down and after the initial gas burst it hissed for a about 10 seconds and then settled I thought it odd but as it stopped I filled up and all was well.

Today on the way back from work I thought i'd stop and fill up. I did the same but the hissing didnt stop and liquid started running down the side of the car. I hadn't even pressed the button to start the pump, I didnt risk filling up and drove home on petrol. If I wiggled the filler where it twists on to the car the hissing would slow.

Is there a seal that may need replacing? someone said it might be the hot weather causing it?!

Any advice welcome I will get it checked out if needs be!

Antnicuk

posted on 30/6/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have had several LPG cars and the filler, even on a top of the range Prinns kit, was cheap and didnt seal well 100% of the time.

You can buy a replacement (link below) which is fairly easy to fit but you must run the system out, then very slowly release the compression fitting to release the pressure. Once gas stops coming out you remove the compression fitting on the copper and fit the new one supplied. You may be able to replace the just the seal but i dont know how to do it.

LPG Autogas Bayonet 8mm 90deg filler set inc 70mm box | eBay UK

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

mark chandler

posted on 30/6/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
There are two one way valves, one in the tank and one in the filler, I have had this with dirty LPG where a flack of rust or something similar gets into the valve at the filler end which leads to horrible hissing, if it stops quickly then you were probally just venting the the liquid gas in the filler pipe, if it carries on for hours then both one way valves are grubby.

To rectify simply undo the filler, expect a bit of gas to leak from the filler tube, and take apart to clean.

When the tanks empty you can remove the valve at this end as well and clean, usually the liquid gas will wash stuff through anyway so its not a big worry, the pickup will have a filter inside the tank.

Watch your hands, the evaporating gas will turn your fingers into lollipops, some car breakers have had nasty frost bite from cutting LPG pipes when wearing gloves if its starts to leak walk away until its settled down!

Should have read your note, sounds like the pump gun seal is knackered as this circles the brass fitting so not your car, it hissed as you have liquid gas between the gun and pump so when you connect there is a burst of pressure as it locates.

You should get decent economy, may be worth investing in a new vaporiser gasket set, these only last a couple of years before splitting, its all contained within the unit but leads to poor starting/running and loss of economy, although oddly enough does not knock power much by running very rich.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 30/6/11 by mark chandler]

britishtrident

posted on 30/6/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Don't take the chance replace the filler and pipe/hose to the tank, not expensive parts and easy to change.
You should find a little thumb-wheel operated valve on the tank.

i assume it is standard British/Dutch bayonnet filler connection --- ie you don't need to attach an adaptor to connect to the pump.
Before ordering parts you then need to check if the filler is straight or right angled and if it is a 8mm cooper pipe with a flare at the tank end and an olive fitting at the filler end or a flexible hose with JIC fittings.
You can't mix JIC and copper types.
If it is an 8mm copper pipe you will need the tank end flared.

Either of these two companies will be very helpful

http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/Filler_Adaptors_and_caps.html

http://autogas-lpg.co.uk/32--filler-lpg-atogas

or find irish based The Alternative Fuel Company on ebay

Smear the connectors with Loctite lock N Seal when making the connections.
Remember to leak check with a soap bubble solution after you turn the gas valve back on.

[Edited on 30/6/11 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 1/7/11 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
The valve on the tank unit where the filler pipe goes in has to be manually closed.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/7/11 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Those omegas are usually good on fuel. A matey had one (2 litre) used to do 45mpg on a run.
On gas you should get about 80% of the petrol mpg, give or take.

I suspect the gas system may well be one of the old type with a mixer. If so adjustment is done with a screw on the vaporiser, very simple to do, but do not get it overlean If in doubt, autogas places are usually pretty reasonably priced, and should get it sorted for not much dosh.

pmc_3

posted on 1/7/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I tried filling it up with LPG again today at a different garage and it sealed straight away and filled fine. I'll keep an eye on it, cheers for the info on the economy above I think i'll get it serviced after i've done the lambda.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.