Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ex Police dog - what do you think????
pewe

posted on 4/7/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ex Police dog - what do you think????

Knowing the wide range of members on here I thought I'd ask this one.
We are thinking of taking on an ex-Police Springer (our previous family Springer died a couple of years ago aged 14).
We don't have kids or cats any-more so those aren't an issue.
The one we have looked at is 7 years old and been a working dog since he was little.
He seems a nice dog but our concern is that having worked all his adult life he may not settle into a domestic routine.
His typical working day is exactly that - fed at the start of his shift - goes on-shift, finishes then is fed, sleeps, goes back to work
(if he was human they'd call it slavery).
He seems happy enough but is trained to be independent and is thus a bit bolshy.
And before anyone asks it - no he can't un-learn the skills he's been trained up to.

Any-one have any thoughts or experience of taking one on?
Cheers, Pewe

theconrodkid

posted on 4/7/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
my last dog was very well behaved and trained when i got him,within a few months of my relaxed attitude he had reverted back to lazy dog with a healthy attitude towards food so i do think he can un-learn his previous regime.
lots of cuddles and walks should get him sorted,if he gets bored,hide some treats/toys ,remember he dont know what drugs are,to him it,s all a game

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

will121

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
assume being a ex-Police Springer its a sniffer dog rather than a man eater? is it coming direct from police if so do you know why its retiring? generally they live a semi sociable life with its handler although not as a family pet more reserved at a kennel in the garden
pewe

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
His long-term handler has been retired early due to cuts and they don't have any other handlers who can take him on.
He's sociable enough but not what you'd call an honorary member of the human race which our previous one was.
And no he's not a man-eater - just a very determined dog.
Current handler's advice (if we do take him on) is to leg it pdq if he takes a close interest in suitcases etc. - 'nuff said!
Cheers, Pewe

balidey

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
you'll never be able to smoke pot again

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

johnq

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
BEST DOG I EVER HAD ex poice springer, dafft as a brush ;great with kids, loyal ;loving . and if you waked him through preston bus station every lolife with a joint in their pockets,shit theirselves thinking i might be plain clothes,

looks like rain again

Daddylonglegs

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
you'll never be able to smoke pot again

You beat me to it

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

T66

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
The Police are very careful what dogs they will let go to Joe public -

if its a knacker or the slightest bit of a problem, it WILL NOT get offered out. Their working life is one of 24/7 shifts the same as the handler, they have rest days like the handler, and are more than happy lopping about on their rest days, so its not all work work work....

Most of their shift are spent being walked/excercised and trained, operational stuff responded to throughout their shift.

And if the Police are happy with you, then you must of passed their "test" having met you (?).Be assured the dog will be sound ! Like all dogs he will have a character and maybe some irritating aspects to that, once you have spent time putting your mark on him, theres no reason why he shouldnt make a good pet.

If you havent owned a dog before, go to a class. Sounds knobbish but it is well worth a few trips...

steve m

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I believe they cook well in the back of police vans
not that is funny at all!!

Antnicuk

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
its unusual for the handler not to take them when they retire. Has he said why he isnt going to keep it?

will someone be with him during the day? or will he be left on his own during the day? he might get bored if regularly left alone for long periods and get a bit destructive if he gets bored.

I have worked with several drugs and firearms spaniels and they are lovely dogs but i found them a little disinterested in human contact, never really up for a fuss or a cuddle, whether this would change if he retired i dont know.

Have you spent any time with him? i suppose that has to be the best way to if you will get on.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

scoop

posted on 4/7/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
You wont regret it mate. A well trained, well looked after, energetic dog. If you have the room and time for it i dont see the problem.
pewe

posted on 4/7/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feed-back guys.
His current handler reckons he's one of the best and would genuinely like to keep him on the Force but as I've said cuts don't allow them to.
Long-term handler wants a quiet life in retirement - presumably activities without a dog and the edginess associated with his particular job on the Force.
Self and swimbo "taking it easier" so can afford the time to exercise a dog, also means we won't be leaving it by itself for any length of time (not that we ever did with the previous one).
I think our reticence is that he's a very active, full-on dog whereas our previous one was a bit more sedate (if Springers can be sedate!) - maybe he just got old and we've forgotten how much energy they have.
Think we'll sleep on it before deciding.
Cheers, Pewe

trextr7monkey

posted on 4/7/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
husband of a woman I know through work is a police dog handler and they now have 6 dogs as a result of him keeping his retired animals and curent dog and a trainee, I reckon he works to keeep the dogs so I wouldn't see it as a bad sign
that the current handler wants an easier/less tied lifestyle, go for it !!
good luck
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Bare

posted on 5/7/11 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
Some Koreans would consider a "police dog' as the best tasting :-)
pewe

posted on 6/7/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, and despite all the positives on here, we decided to pass on this one.
Reason being that I realised Mother-in-law, who dog-sits for us, would not cope with a boisterous dog.
As the handler subsequently said "we don't teach them manners" and for an 85year old to have a dog jumping 5' to snatch his ball out of her hand
wasn't a happy prospect - MiL who'd have 'em?
At the handler's suggestion we are still on their list for a Lab which he reckons are more placid - we'll see.
Cheers and thanks again for the thoughts, Pewe

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.