Author: Subject: bike carb question ?
nige

posted on 15/7/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
bike carb question ?

will a set of carbs off a 600 be ok on a 2ltr

or would a set off a 1000 be better

cheers nige

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

BenB

posted on 15/7/11 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Best way of working that out is to look at the cubic capacity of the engine they came off multiplied by the rpm of that engine. That'll give an idea of airflow through the carbs. If they're similar it'll be alright, if the CC*rpm is lower for the bike engine go for larger carbs.

On the other hand, someone might have already trod this path and be able to give a simpler answer.

phelpsa

posted on 15/7/11 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
What power are you aiming for? What size carbs from a 600? If they are 32mm and you're aiming for 250bhp then they probably aren't suited. If they are 36mm and you're aiming for 150bhp then you're onto a winner.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nige

posted on 15/7/11 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
its a stock red top
not looking to go racing
the carbs are 36mm of a yzf 600

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

BenB

posted on 15/7/11 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
What power are you aiming for? What size carbs from a 600? If they are 32mm and you're aiming for 250bhp then they probably aren't suited. If they are 36mm and you're aiming for 150bhp then you're onto a winner.

Only issue is the BSFC of the bike engine and the target engine are likely different meaning that working on BHP isn't an exact thing.

mcerd1

posted on 15/7/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think most folk with 2.0 engine try to get something like a 38 - 40mm like ZX9R, R1 and so on (GSXR1000 ? )
bogg bros sorted me out with ZX9R's for my 2.0 pinto with a fast road cam (since upped to a 2.1, but still within the range of the ZX9R carbs) - I just need to get it running before I give any more advice (Jacko has a similar setup to me though)

but if your not looking for all out power then the 36's will do the job - I know there are a few folk on here running this size on 1.8 / 2.0 zetec's / pinto's and the like...

(given the choice I'd go for the bigger ones though )

[Edited on 15/7/2011 by mcerd1]

-

BenB

posted on 15/7/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don't go too big with carbs though or you'll get poor fuel atomisation, fuel pooling near the inlet valve and poor mpg (without necessarily any increase in Bhp). Throttle bodies are more forgiving as they don't rely on the venturi effect and choking for atomisation.
mcerd1

posted on 15/7/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Don't go too big with carbs though or you'll get poor fuel atomisation, fuel pooling near the inlet valve and poor mpg (without necessarily any increase in Bhp). Throttle bodies are more forgiving as they don't rely on the venturi effect and choking for atomisation.

true enough, my comments were on the basis that in 6 months time you'll be bored again and wan't to stick some lumpy cams on it for more power

-

bbwales

posted on 15/7/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have fitted Suzuki 1200 Carbs to my 2.0ltr Zetec, drilled the mains out to 1.5 mm and it runs very well, it gives me 45MPG when I am not too enthusiastic with the go pedal but seeing I do most of my driving cruising then it is fine for my needs.

Regards

Bob

phelpsa

posted on 15/7/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

Only issue is the BSFC of the bike engine and the target engine are likely different meaning that working on BHP isn't an exact thing.

You are correct, however target BHP will ultimately decide what carbs you go for, not the size of the donor / target engine.

I know of a couple of people running 36mm carbs (off a bandit 1200) on 140-150bhp zetecs with no issues whatsoever and managing a decent idle and good top end.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kipper

posted on 15/7/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have fitted zx9 carbs via a Bogg bros manifold to my Vulcan cross flow engine and didn't have to do anything else.
The difference to the 40 dcoe's is spectacular, instant reliable tickover, pulls cleanly form nothing to max revs, and much better fuel consumption.
The only thing different was the carbs were already dynojetted.
I have just had the car MOT'D and the emisions were spot on.
Reagrds Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

alfas

posted on 17/7/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
what did you pay for this "bolt-on" conversion?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.