Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bad IVA fail
Coopz

posted on 15/7/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bad IVA fail

After a hectic week of finishing the car off, Took the MK Indy R1 5VY 06 too Mitcham test centre today and had Ian as my tester great guy very helpful as i fired questions at him all day! Unfortunately though still Resulting in a FAIL Bad one too I think.

14 Fail points He said his record was four pages, but still 14 more Jobs to go wrong!

Quick list some imput would be great.

1. Noise- 106.7 @ 9375 (Think its Mainly Induction) Anyone else with experience of this Loud?

2. Metered Emissions- Unbelievably way out! Borrowed a pass SVA map for PC but unfortunately must me slight different set up!

Fast Idle test 2500-3000

CO- Limit-0.20 Mine-6.81
HC- Limit-200 Mine-1421
Lambda- Limit 0.97-1.03 Mine 0.830

Natural Idle Test

C0- Limit-0.30 Mine-5.55

Any Ideas why its so far out, I'll be honest I don't really understand what they mean how far out I am?

3. Indirect Vision- Need to buy and fit a Long acre as discussed

4. Handbrake Performance- using Powerlite willwoods 12.22 Achieved need 14

5. Interior Fittings- Need to cover 4 Nuts on back off fuse Board in passenger footwell

6. Protective Steering- Not happy with my Steering wheel, It was a padded Race wheel On a quick release! Although Happy how I disconnected use of Quick Release and the padding passes in the centre! Not happy as it does not have a Collapsable Feature, Bit stuck on this one as all paddles and quick release welded on to steering column! Has anyone ever tried to attach quick release Boss to sierra wheel?

7. Exterior Protections- Headlamp Brackets need covering, was surprised everything else was spot on!
Front wheel arch trim, pulled it off said he reckoned self gripping one is better, I said yeah but it looks crap

8. Statutory Plate- Bit annoyed with this one! Had Andy B punch and spot weld up a Vin for me on monday Both deciding this was best and neatest option! As punch chassis can jump look messy and Rivets are removable. But Ian the tester said you would be able to get that off so is removable, and wont be happy unless i Punch straight into the chassis!

9. Installations of Lights- Reverse Lamp says its too dim as it feeds off when the starter motor is run, also should come on Before i start reversing? My idea Is i sort of have an Ignition switch for reverse as safety so Flick it on then Powers up reverse button and hey presto If I link Up reverse light into the first switch for it too come on then he cant complain?

10. Retro Reflectors- Stupid Mistake- I measured Minimum height from middle of reflector not bottom edge so about 15mm to low Picky I think but very easy to rectify!

11. Directional Indicators- Hazards must come on when car Ignition is off which they do! but my Digi-Dash doesn't come on Until Ignition is on so no tell tale warning light unless Ignition on. So little flashing LED relay needs to be mounted on dash and labeled.

12. Rear Fog Lamps- Must display E mark which they do but don't display B or F so slightly annoyed with a certain supplier as were sold as Fog Lamps! Easy Rectify sway over.

13. General Construction- Apparently my indicator extensions which I knocked up at 4.30 this morning before the test were a bit wobbly For Ian Liking! I thought they were fine but hey thats me... Has anyone got some IVA friendly extensions they might not need and could lend me

14. Electrical- He said was very need and almost perfect bar one Brake Reservoir cable which he thought should be P clipped as a bit close to steering arm.

So a lot to think about... A rather odd feeling today, the massive Grin and amazing feeling I had driving her there and back was fantastic first time of driving a kit car of any calibre, then failing! Also I got very stressed out with myself at the test I had to remove the bonnet so placed it on the grass came back out wind had blown it face down on tarmac so was pretty annoyed at myself apparently the scratches aren't visible but its all I Bloody see being a perfectionist!

JoelP

posted on 15/7/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
bit annoying but nothing to hang yourself over! Steering wheel is the worst i guess. Chin up, and make sure you get started on the list immediately!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

jossey

posted on 15/7/11 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
ive seen someone weld on the quick release to a sierra wheel but it will make a mess of it.

how about replace the top half of the column with a standard sierra column for now and then maybe it will fall off after test.

cant help on rest.good luck though.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 15/7/11 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
what steering wheel is it?

merlin motorsport have lists for collapsible boss kits for loads of manufacturers (ford, vauxhall etc) to fit the original wheel back, or sparco, momo etc and somewhere, though i can't find them on that site, you can get them to fit between sparco, mountney, momo etc wheels, with he 6 bolt fitting so onto your exisitng removable boss

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/STEERING-WHEELS/c92/index.html
thought rally design had them too, but i can't find them

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Coopz

posted on 15/7/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Joel, I'll get it sorted hopefully, retest in a month! Having a taster off driving her today I WANT MORE
Jossey, Unfortunately this is an option but will leave it too last resort!
Blake, No idea what wheel it is unfortunately, although what you suggested I thought would be Ideal and when suggested it too the examiner he reckoned it had to be a part of the wheel.

AndyRead

posted on 15/7/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hey ho, it will not seem so bad in the morning!

Lists always look worse than they really are.

Normally with the emission's, if the lambda is very low, which yours is, that in turn will put the co content quite high, so it may just be the lambda sensor!

Hope that's a little help!

Andy

Andy

Pezza

posted on 16/7/11 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Given me a few things to think about for my IVA at mitcham.

Heres how I did my paddle shift while retaining the collapsable section.

Though if Ian doesn't like quick releases i'll have to disable it in some way on the day.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Coopz

posted on 16/7/11 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Pezza- Ian had a bit of a downer on it, he was fine with having a quick release as long as you can't use it he did try and yank the wheel off! I have a very similar set up which failed yesterday. Which part of your column is the collapsible section it seems very similar to mine just different quick release set up! I think his idea is The wheel should have it built in and not bolted on. Trying to work out a way of mounting quick release on sierra wheel
matt_gsxr

posted on 16/7/11 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
What about one of these items?

https://www.europaspares.com/product/211/18393/BOSS_KITS/UNIVERSAL_BOSS_KITS/ADAPT_YOUR_EXISTING_BOSS_WITH_OUR_COLLAPSIBLE_ELEMENT____SWCOLEL.html />

You might have to drill a couple of holes at the back. It will say all the right words on the receipt and comes from a credible reseller.

Matt

adithorp

posted on 16/7/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
The convoluted section is colapable and the shaft is telescopic lower down. However he can fail it for the boss not being colapsable if you don't use the complete Sierra type approved wheel and column as the wheel is designed to deform.

Sorry the map didn't work. Those figures are looking very rich. Too rich for the cat to cope. High HC is unburnt fuel and normal pre-cat CO should be in the 0.5-1.5% range. Low lambda is rich also. Think you're going to have to find a friendly garage who'll let you put it on thier gas anyliser while you play with the PC map untill you get somewhere close.

Do a search under my name for my soluton to the poor leverage on the Wilwood h/brake calipers.

edit... search done, look here

[Edited on 16/7/11 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Davey D

posted on 16/7/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
The rev range for the noise test seems a bit high! i thought it was done at 3/4 of max power figure? max power on the 5vy is around 9-10k rpm making 3/4 max power at 7500ish RPM. that is what mine was tested at. Yours is being tested at 3/4 Max rpm, as the 5vy revs to around 12.5k rpm.

On my SVA test i took my laptop with me, and tweaked the power commander during the test to get the emissions to the correct level. it was 2 years ago, but i think i lowered the fueling to around -40 in the required rpm/throttle area to get the emissions down to low enough to pass the test. The exhaust was so hot i ended up melting the testers lambda probe

Coopz

posted on 16/7/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Adrian- Not to worry mate, I appreciate you sending me the map! Thanks for the info on the Handbrake looks Ideal this is also along the lines one what Andy B suggested to me today also to replace the rear mintex with a softer pad as they will give a better hold when cold, and 'should' stick like s**t to a blanket, I hope

Matt- I will suggest this also to the tester, but his opinion I think is it should be part of the wheel

Davey- Thanks for the info I shall double check this I put maximum RPM of 12500 I think, I best re-read the form I wonder if they will let me change this.

I am going to try and speak to Ian the tester on monday, and explain that the Column has two collapsible sections and see what he says! If he still persists I need one in the wheel Andy B reckons we can get my quick release mounted on Sierra some how!

After a long chat with Andy today he reckons the exhaust I borrowed for the test which has a cat built in is knackered! Meaning the emissions and noise are related! So i think the Idea might be to wack my non IVA Big DB buster (A powerspeed can) or one of AB'S which was going on after the test and try and fit a link pipe which I can remove then fit a cat in for the test.

Will Also look at trying to get her up to PDQ to get an IVA map and Fast road map set up. More money and way over budget But after my little taster to the test centre and back I'm more motivated than ever to get her on the road

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
The silver lining is...

Given that the things you say are all "taking to garage to get vehicle into a state so it can pass the test" I think you are legally allowed to drive the car to these places.

Usual caveats. Check the small print, make sure of insurance, book in advance, carry all your paperwork (including IVA fail sheet), don't go looking for trouble!

Coopz

posted on 20/7/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone tried this edge trim:
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/10_x_8mm_Satin_Black_%27U%27_Channel_Edge_Trim_TRMSBU Does it stick well look good?

Preferably I don't want to put the self gripping stuff on as it marks and I think far to large for the front arch (although the tester suggested this)

I failed on this stuff:
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/10_x_5mm_Rubber_U_Channel_For_2mm_Panels_TRMU2 as was just placed on, and I Think it could get messy trying to stick the stuff on as very small.

Yorkie

posted on 20/7/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
That's the trim I used on my front arches. It was not one of my fail points!

Looks good and sticks well.

markyb

posted on 20/7/11 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I had a nightmare with emissions myself (SVA) - one problem was actually getting the cat to the correct temperature - read somewhere that someone passed by not using the powercommander at all for the test - if you know a friendly mot centre that could let you experiment....

For my front indicators I got a length of electrical piping from B+Q and fed it through my nose so that the indicators were at the correct width. I then jammed in a nut at each end which allowed my to screw in the indicators. It took a while to lengthen the electrics etc but didnt take long to fall off post SVA

adithorp

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
The trouble with edge trim is it has to be viewed as "permanent" by the tester. That often means that you need self gripping or (for the stuff you've linked to) it be stuck on. What makes you say self gripping trim leaves marks? The stuff I've used is rubber lined and has never left marks when removed.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Pezza

posted on 20/7/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
My dad went up to mitcham today to ask a few questions about our build.
Ian said the rubber u-trim on the wings was fine as long as it was glued on, we used ct-1 clear adhesive and it was quite mess free.
In relation to the collapsible element of the steering wheel he was happy with our use of the upper sierra collumn as long as we had something like the collapsible boss (pictured above) on the back of the wheel.

[Edited on 20-7-11 by Pezza]

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Coopz

posted on 20/7/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Pezza- Funnily enough I spoke to Ian today whillst booking my retest. I had another chat with him about the column as I don't want to fail again! I explained that the sierra Column had two collapsible features in it and would this be sufficient enough? He said no, the Steering wheel itself must have one (I.E a Type Approved wheel) I explained that other people were passing on this setup. Anyways 5 Minutes later, Ian gave me a call and said that He has looked into it and given someone a call and that as long as the column would still act the same with an Impact (collapsing where it should) then this would be sufficient. We both agreed that my column would, but he did tell me to get some edge trim on that S.Wheel then Nice guy, pleased he followed it up.

I also mentioned to Ian that I had given him the wrong figure for my noise test, I gave him Max RPM instead of Max power @ RPM he checked it and this was correct. But he said I would need to take along a print out either from Yamaha themselves or From my engine supplier (Malc) to prove it, then he would test at 3/4 of that figure.

I think my hardest part will be Noise and emissions. For my first test I used a Can lent to me by powerspeed who built my exhaust. It is an old caterham 5 inch with a build in cat, adapted to fit my system. But I think that the cat is mullered, especially considering how rich I was running. So plan is to fit a new cat into the can and all new sound deadning although bit worried whether it will be quiet enough. Then slip my nice shiny post IVA Can on drive to PDQ Rolling Road do a fast road map for post IVA then swap other exhausts and try and get and IVA Map set up, well hopefully

Thanks for the Info guys shall order that edge trim seems quite smart any-hoo!

Oh and retest date booked for sometime soon

Cheers Coopz

Pezza

posted on 20/7/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck

I found the airbox made a lot of difference, though we had to mod it and turn it round to fit under the scoop.
I'm running a short ART race can with a decibel killer in it, and with our db meter it's comming in at about 96 db.

[Edited on 20-7-11 by Pezza]

RichardK

posted on 20/7/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Nice motor Pezza, for some reason I knew it'd be black, dunno why, strange that.

You ok anyway, seems yonks since we had a beer or 3?

Take it easy

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coopz

posted on 20/7/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good looking car there pezza, when is your IVA?
Pezza

posted on 20/7/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno yet, gotta book it once I have a rough idea of emissions.
Want to try and get everything sorted IVA wise before the test.

Pezza

posted on 21/7/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Nice motor Pezza, for some reason I knew it'd be black, dunno why, strange that.

You ok anyway, seems yonks since we had a beer or 3?

Take it easy

Rich

Doing good ta mate been busy with wedding planning, house moving and building the bloody car lol. All good with you?

martyn_16v

posted on 23/7/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Is your engine running OK at the test RPM's? Mine happened to have a wee misfire, it made a massive difference to the noise level (13dB).

I can't remember whether I chucked my indicator extensions in the bin or not, I'll have a look when I get home tomorrow.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.