Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercar/Racecar Experiences
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/7/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Supercar/Racecar Experiences

Over the last couple of years me and the misses have had a pretty rotten run of luck and now that things have started to turn for the better I wanted to do something special for the both of us for our anniversary in September.

My wife is a closet speed freak arguably a bigger petrol head than me. Ive never seen he as excited as when she had a passenger ride in Chrisf's seven.

With my car a little while from completion , I was wondering if you guys could recommend something as in the title.
I was after something a little more than a certificate saying "I drove 3 laps in a ferrari" but not quite all out race driving training.

Ive seen lots of these types of things which say "please allow an hour for your experience" which doesn't really excite me, so preferably lasting a half day at least.

Can anyone offer any advice,

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

T66

posted on 17/7/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
How about something like the Harewood Hillclimb school ?

http://www.harewoodhill.com/competitors/school/

Edit _ or something similar near you

[Edited on 17/7/11 by T66]

AntonUK

posted on 17/7/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Me and the g/f did a westfield experience thing a year or so ago... cost £200 each but included a full day at the venue (Millbrook proving ground) driving on own and tuition based even included lunch.

found it much better value than these "red letter day" experiences.

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/shop/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=505&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ ID=96

my only gripe with the day is the g/f beat me by 0.6 seconds on the final timed laps

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/7/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
that westfield day looks good value!!

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Antnicuk

posted on 17/7/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
what about a half day hire of a kit car at a track day. You could both have a go. I went to a track day at rockingham and they had caterhams for hire

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

PSpirine

posted on 17/7/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say, those westfield days look a bloody bargain!

Am tempted to book on one now...

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/7/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm considering everything at the omoment, good thought

quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
what about a half day hire of a kit car at a track day. You could both have a go. I went to a track day at rockingham and they had caterhams for hire

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/7/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
I have to say, those westfield days look a bloody bargain!

Am tempted to book on one now...

agreed! Looks good!

swanny

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
not supercars but i did a vauxhall vxr track day last lear as a present from my father in law. 2 options an open pit drive any vxr, small queues but only 5 mins or so with qualified drivers who assess your driving and give you pointers. (100 quid)
the option i did was the racing school, limited to 4 drivers per day you got to drive a race prepped corsa vxr, stickered up and with your name on the window as driver. spent the day with an ex btcc driver gavin piper, one on one tuition all day. brilliant value at £200 quid. still running but they have changed the format now, afternoon is karting and off road stuff. but when i did it was amazing. and gavin was a nice bloke.

paul

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 18/7/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Everyone 'petrol head' I know has been dissapointed with the supercar experiences, they always seem too limited and never let you push the cars.

Something that I did a few years ago that was awesome was the Pentti Airikkala (RIP) rally school, far more fun, loads more driving and a real chance to push cars to the limit. Yes it may have only been a 2wd Sierra Cosworth but it was still excellent.

Maybe there is something like that being run by another legendary ex-driver?

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 18/7/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
how much do you want to spend?
click

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Kwik

posted on 18/7/11 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
how about rallying? my friend done it a whilst back and thought it was the best thing he had ever done, let you really drive as well on a special stage. will get more info if you want it...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 18/7/11 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I found that these 'Red Letter Day' companies just source somewhere for you to do the day and then add their cost on top. I found what I wanted to do on a red letter website then they gave me a list of possible locations. I just googled until I found it and it was 20% cheaper going direct.

[Edited on 18/7/11 by Irony]

novacaine

posted on 20/7/11 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Well im an instructor for one of the firms that run these days and i would say that they are good for the type of people who want to experience driving a very expensive car but they arnt really drivers days, The supercars are surprisingly difficult to drive quickly for the average customer which is why the subarus and evos pass them left right and centre on the track, far easier to drive quickly and usually the instructors let you push them a bit harder but still not race speed.

My advice if you want a good amount of time in the car (our place you get 6 laps of our small airfield track and thats over and done with in 5 mins per drive) I would say have a look at this website

link

Its admittedly run by one of my mates from work, a guy called sean cooper, a top bloke, currently races porsches through his team track focused, and he is a driver trainer, he will push you on, Highly reccomended

Here is a review of his instruction (admittedly in a customers car but that customer happened to be a qualified racing driver)

Review link

Im not shamelessly advertising a mates business, I am genuinely recommending it

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.