Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bye Bye Sky
RazMan

posted on 17/7/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Bye Bye Sky

I just had a hissy fit and decided to cancel my Sky+ HD subscription - pointless as I don't seem to watch anything else other than BBC or downloaded films on my PopBox these days and most HD channels seem to be on Freesat anyway so why throw away precious car money?

Now it seems I have created a problem - SWMBO and Mother in Law like to watch stuff which clashes with my (very few) progs like TG and other petrol head stuff, so I need to find a magic box which allows me to record a few progs while the girls are watching the latest 'come dine with me on ice in the jungle and get dancing'

So what HD Freesat recorders are recommended by the collective then?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigrich

posted on 17/7/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
just done this recently for my Mum, always had a full sky package, with HD but after loosing dad over the new year money became a little tighter so out went sky and in came freesat in the shape of a Humax HD box with recorder 320Gb and so easy to use, maybe the menu/guide is not as easy to use as the sky one but hardly difficult either and after month 4 your costs are recovered and your saving every month after that

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

WanchaiWarrior

posted on 18/7/11 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
Also depends what tv you have.

Ive got a 500gig HD plugged into the telly (Samsung plasma PS58C7000) to record on that and another set top box plugged into an HDMI slot to watch at the same time

HTH

Jamie

bob

posted on 18/7/11 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
Humax HD

Another vote for the Humax HD recorder, Buy direct from Humax for better warranty
scootz

posted on 18/7/11 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
We have a Humax... very good!

It's Evolution Baby!

BenB

posted on 18/7/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'd buy a low capacity humax and after a year wack a great big Gb HD in it. Lots of tutorials on the net on how to do upgrades and Humax do charge you more than the differential cost of hard discs for the larger capacity units.
RazMan

posted on 18/7/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - looks like I'll be ordering a Humax then

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 18/7/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Humax PVR all the way, best on the market. I got mine when they first came out, the HDD is still plenty big enough and it's been faultless.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

RazMan

posted on 18/7/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Just bagged a HUMAX Foxsat-HDR 320GB for a good price - anyone need a Skybox HD+ ?

Cheers,
Raz

ChrisW

posted on 18/7/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got a popbox (or anything similar... XBMC would be my choice!) why not just get yourself an account on thebox or somewhere like that? Makes life a lot easier when you don't even have to remember to record the stuff!

Chris

AdamR

posted on 18/7/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going the other way. I have Freesat / Humax HDR, but having just moved in to a new property I've decided to ditch this and take advantage of Sky's phone/broadband/TV combo deals along with cashback from Quidco.

The Humax is not bad. Only serious issue for me is the EPG is slow and laggy compared to Sky.

mad-butcher

posted on 18/7/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly OT but I've got the ordinary sky (all Channels ) at £50 a month, what are the alternatives (no landline) if I want sky sports and eurosport, got a toshiba regza telly with freeveiw.

many thanks
tony

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.