Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin-Top - central locking fail :(
mcerd1

posted on 19/7/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Tin-Top - central locking fail :(

I'm startign to get sick of this car - it just can't stay fixed for 5min

the central locking has stopped working on the drivers door, so if I use the remote or the passenger door the car won't lock

I can get it to lock by using the key in the drivers door (whick locks all the doors), but its really anyoing

its a 2001 focus 5dr (the 98-01 type) - any ideas ? / what are the common fault ?

cheers
-Robert

-

lewis

posted on 19/7/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the solenoid in the drivers door to me,does it make any sound when you activate it? Or try to move
britishtrident

posted on 19/7/11 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
These days the solenoid is usually built into the latch, tiny plastic part breaks in the latch due to normal wear and tear, don't know about Fords but on Rovers, Freelanders, BmW and VW it means fitting a complete new latch.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mcerd1

posted on 19/7/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Sounds like the solenoid in the drivers door to me,does it make any sound when you activate it? Or try to move
it wasn't trying...

but now its decided to work again like nothing ever happend It must have been listening when I was swearing at it
I guess I'll put some oil in the catch and hope for the best....

do these cars suffer from doggy wires in the doors ? (my old pug was a nightmare for that)

[Edited on 19/7/2011 by mcerd1]

-

SeaBass

posted on 19/7/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I know there are a few Ford fans on here but sorry to say - your outside the Ford 6 Year Lifespan.

SWMBOs 54 plate Fiesta started throwing toys out the pram after 4 years so we punted it.

JC

mcerd1

posted on 19/7/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
I know there are a few Ford fans on here but sorry to say - your outside the Ford 6 Year Lifespan.
I need to keep reminding myself that its not been too bad....

but I did buy a cheap 7 year old one with 80k on it (never doing that again...)

most things havn't needed done till now (110k), but I've spent ~£600 on it in parts in the last 6 months - so now I've got to keep it for a while...

...but next time I'm going to go back to the simple little granny mobile thats only been driven to the shops twice a week - had 2 like that before and they did me 9 years of hard use for less than £250/year

-

SteveWalker

posted on 19/7/11 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
It could also be a dodgy connection or even snapped wire that's making a connection again now.
Chippy

posted on 19/7/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem on my Ciroen Xsara, and it ended up being the wire that connects from car to door. It used to work, then not work, took a while to find the fault but an easy fix. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

vinny1275

posted on 19/7/11 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
My Passat had the same, it started with the driver's door lock and ended up with none of the electrics in the driver's door panel working. It turned out to be one of the canbus connections getting crushed when the door was shut - I ran a replacement wire through for it (and its partner, while I had all the trim in pieces), and it's been fine ever since.

The most fun bit was lying upside-down with my head under the steering wheel trying to find the fault, as it only showed up when the door was shut!

mcerd1

posted on 19/7/11 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really hoping that its not the wiring...

that was a bad enough job on the 106 and the only had 2 wires for the speaker...

-

PSpirine

posted on 19/7/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Pugs are notorious for the wires breaking up between the door and body (at the hinges).

I would hope that it shouldn't be such a bad problem on a Focus (incidentally, if it is, you will probably see wear/tear on the wiring harness going into the door).

It sounds like a solenoid/motor issue, and yes it's most likely within the latch these days. Because it's sending/receiving the signal to lock/unlock (which is why all the other doors lock when you use your key), but it can't actually lock the driver's latch electrically (hence why you need to use your key in it!)

Confused but excited.

posted on 19/7/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Mate's Rover 75 had the same problem. When I got out my meter and had a look at it, I found most of the wires coming from the car to the door had snapped off the crimp-on pins in the multi-way plug. So I cut the plug and socket out and soldered all the wires. Sorted.
Then he sold the car.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

chrisspartan

posted on 19/7/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have an x reg focus and I thought I had the same problem - turns out that the doors can just get out of sync ie one open and 3 closed and then gets confused.
There is a reset sequence can't remember off hand but Google it and it should come up how to het back in sync.
Chris

mcerd1

posted on 19/7/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisspartan
I used to have an x reg focus and I thought I had the same problem - turns out that the doors can just get out of sync ie one open and 3 closed and then gets confused.
There is a reset sequence can't remember off hand but Google it and it should come up how to het back in sync.
Chris

cheers I'll have a search for that

at least it looks like the focus door plug is on the body - i.e. the wires are attached to the door rather than the body like the 106 (if that makes any sense..)

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.