Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Transmission Help
Soichi_Sugano

posted on 20/7/11 at 04:32 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto Transmission Help

I'm having trouble with my Locost that was built from scratch. It uses the engine and transmission from a 1971 British Ford Pinto and 4 speed transmission. The problem I've been having is the gears stick now and then. I've taken the covers off and shifted while I was looking at and I didn't see anything obviously wrong. I'm just wondering if anyone out there could lend some info on the matter or if it's happened to anyone else.
Macbeast

posted on 20/7/11 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
Is the clutch disengaging properly?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

omega0684

posted on 20/7/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
can you be a little more specific? the gears stick is a little vague, do you mean the gear lever sticks and you can't get it out of gear when you engage the clutch pedal or you can't get it into gear etc?

more info the better buddy!

All the best

Alex

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Soichi_Sugano

posted on 23/7/11 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
yes the clutch is disengaging properly. Twice in the last week I've had to open up the top plates on the transmission and disengage reverse. If pictures would help I have some of the transmission when I had it open last.
britishtrident

posted on 23/7/11 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried another gear lever ?
Soichi_Sugano

posted on 23/7/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
No I haven't tried another one. I live in the US and parts for this transmission are almost nonexistent. I had to look for parts before when the piece that holds the shifting arm in place cracked. I looked all over the web and tried every fellow grease monkey I know about parts with no luck. I ended up having to have a replacement one made out of stainless steel. Oh, and I should have stated this from the beginning that this is my first time working on a manual transmission.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.