Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to do when going from car to bike engine?
Oliver Jetson

posted on 28/7/04 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
What to do when going from car to bike engine?

Can I just take out the parts of the car loom that run the car engine and then put in the ones from the bike when the bike engine is in? Therefore leaving my lights all connected, or is is not as simple as this??

Electrics aren't my thing!

Cheers,
Oli

locoboy

posted on 28/7/04 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Oliver,

From my very limited experience with auto electics i wold say that yes you can, i was planning to take out my pinto and put in a bike engine and thats what i was planning on doing, infact i was going to get i re-wired for lights and switches etc and then get a custom engine harness made that will plug in via a multi pin connector to the main loom.

all sound good but truely how practical it would be *may* be another matter.

This should allow more flexability to effectively plug a different engine in at a later date should you fancy a change

[Edited on 28/7/04 by colmaccoll]

[Edited on 28/7/04 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

Oliver Jetson

posted on 28/7/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Col,

Your idea seems a good one if it works, I'm sure there's sumone on here that cud confirm it would work ok?

Where in Shropshire are you? I'm in Shrewsbury.

Oli

colibriman

posted on 28/7/04 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Oli...
basically yes,you will have two looms running side by side in your car..the main car loom and the bike loom..I've only wired my blade engine and subk2002 drew's R1 engine..so, again limited experience of auto electrics but basically its just a fused feed that supplies the engine management so it runs.then you just have to do a bit of wiring to the instruments etc.
bear in mind though that your bike loom will have wiring for lights etc in it which wont be needed and you could cut all these away as neccesary...either that or remove your old wiring and extend the bike loom lights etc....but then you'll have to create a hazard circuit too - more hassle than its worth IMO
cheers
Colin

[Edited on 28/7/04 by colibriman]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 28/7/04 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Oliver,

Im in High Ercal, about 7 miles from the Featherbed lane junction, so not far at all.

Where in Shrewsbury are you.

ATB
Locoboy

Oliver Jetson

posted on 28/7/04 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Colin,
That sounds simple enough, cheers. I'll probs be contacting you about an R1 engine again soon once I've sorted my head getting the crossflow out!

Col,
I'm just the other side of Shrewsbury, near Ford Village. R u still plannin the bike transplant?

Oli

evo3500

posted on 2/8/04 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
engine change to bike

Hello Oli im building my 2nd car with a bike engine,on both occasions I have found it very easy to use to complete bike wiring loom as it has everthing you need apart from hazards.Im building a gt1 and the engine was fitted but no electrics.I have just picked up a loom for it from a breakers, it took about 1.5hrs to fit and bypass a few circuits which prevent the engine running,ie side stand switch etc and know its running.I have the bike dash and left hand and right hand switchgear,and ignition barrell and key.
I just fit these to the steering column where the stalks would normally go.I have to extend the front and rear lighting loom and switch gear loom usally takes
about 4-6 hrs to do this then clip it all in place and its done,easy eh! No really its not that bad and I have limited electrical experience,but it does work a treat.also haynes motorcyle manuals have brilliant easy to follow wiring diagrams even I can follow them.

Good Luck with it.

Regards Simon

locoboy

posted on 3/8/04 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi oliver,

Sorry i forgot to anwer your questions. im not planning a transplant, i am building a new one with a bike engine and selling the other one with the pinto in it.

You going to the WSCC meeting at the pub at Ford on Thursday? I more than likely will be.

ATB
Locoboy

Oliver Jetson

posted on 3/8/04 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Col,

I never knew they had meetings there! Cross Gates pub I take it?
What time is it and I'll see if I can make it. Are there any who hillclimb at Loton going? Do you happen to know Nigel Evans (he has a red Westy and competes at Loton)?

Cheers,
Oli

locoboy

posted on 4/8/04 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Oli,

I dont know him and i dont know if any of the members compete at loton but they usually have a reasonable tur out in the summer months, Stu16v normally goes and occasionally a couple of other members from here go too.

IIRC its about 7.30 start.

Whens the next Loton meeting and what class are they racing?

ATB
Locoboy

Oliver Jetson

posted on 4/8/04 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Col,

I'll try and make it then - don't think I'll come in the locost as its not taxed/insured! Do you all go on a convoy run?

Next main Loton meet is the Midland Championship on 21st/22nd August, which is a pretty big one.

Cheers,
Oli

colibriman

posted on 4/8/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
LOTON....
I've heard of it....but dunno where it is.....?

care to wise me up...?

cheers
Colin

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oliver Jetson

posted on 4/8/04 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Colin,

Yeah Loton is an awesome hillclimb in Shropshire, I've competed at it a few times.

Website for it is: LOTON

Oli

colibriman

posted on 4/8/04 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that..had a look at a couple of the pictures..
faces I recognise too....!

locoboy

posted on 5/8/04 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Oli,

I have not been on a run with them but i beleive they do go on one sometimes, and i know a few that will NOT be going with them again!

Driving like idiots round the small country lanes which can be littered with animals and kids/adults on bikes, people walking dogs etc, in fact one of my mates got out and made his own way back to the pub cos he was disgusted with the way they were driving!

ATB
Locoboy

Oliver Jetson

posted on 5/8/04 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Col,

I guess I'll only come for a beer then!

Are you still going?

I do enjoy fast, controlled driving (hence why I hillclimb) but not when it puts others in danger on the roads!

Oli

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.