Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW 316/318
ChrisJLW

posted on 28/7/04 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
BMW 316/318

In the research phase of my Locost build.

Has anyone tried using the engine/drive train from an old 3 series (I was thinking, about G-reg)? I'm not at all familiar with their mechanics etc. as most of my experience is with the Mk1 MR2.

It's a 4-banger so I'd imagine there would be no length issues .

Just thought that with the dwindling supplies of Mk1 & 2 fords it may be a viable option, the engines (I hear) are pretty good with a decent amount of power.

Would be delighted to chop up a Bimmer as well!

The alternative, 2l Toyota as seen in Mk2 MR2 (non-turbo).

Kelvin

posted on 28/7/04 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hi chris,

why not go for the 4-AGE? I also have experience of Mk1 MR2's (one in the garage) and it's what i'm planning to use for my new build.

Excellent engine in this type of car and a ford Type 9 can be mage to fit. RAW Engineering do some interesting bits!

Kelvin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Borken

posted on 28/7/04 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
The Bmw M10 is a wonderful engine, the only problem i know of is how to modify the drivetrain to accept a live axle.

Borken

mackie

posted on 28/7/04 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Borken
The Bmw M10 is a wonderful engine, the only problem i know of is how to modify the drivetrain to accept a live axle.

Borken

If you wanted to use a live axle surely it'd just be a matter of making/getting made a custom prop shaft. Alternatively you could build an IRS or dedion system to accept the bmw hubs and shafts. I think the rear track is more or less fine.

ChrisJLW

posted on 28/7/04 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Good point Kelvin, I have a pair of Mk1 MR2s (one's about to be broken up) so I could use the engine from it.

I was looking for something with a bit more grunt and a donor where I could use the maximum number of bits!

Mackie & Borken, as the 3 series is RWD couldn't I use the rear axle & propshaft from the Beamer? (remember I've not worked on a RWD)

[Edited on 28/7/04 by ChrisJLW]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/7/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
essentially, all the issues with a seirra are the same for the beemer - but im basing that statement on the current E46 3 series......

it has a semi trailing rear suspension, like sierra.

The think to watch is the width of the engine. If its a 'slant 4' like the current E46, then its canted over and is effectively very wide. Its also particularly wide at the base of the engine where all the belt driven bits are, and thats the narrowest part in a locost engine area.

I posted a pic once in a reply to a similar q about 3 series engines - if you can search and find it you will see what i mean

another point, is that the 318 (at least of 2000 reg) is pretty crappy on power - at 118hp - the 316 is 105hp. Im assuming again that older cars have similar power. In which case you would be no worse off with a 2 litre pinto injection, at 115 out of the box

atb

steve

now, if you can nick an engine from the current 3 series diesel and get it to fit.......150hp and a zillion lbs of torque - be great in a locost. 180 if its chipped - which mine isnt.

[Edited on 28/7/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Kelvin

posted on 28/7/04 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

Have U2U'ed you re: the MR2

Kelvin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisJLW

posted on 28/7/04 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Got it Kelvin

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

Borken

posted on 28/7/04 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
The M10 is a strong engine, and easy to turbocharge, 125 hp out of a standard 2 litre is not much but the potential is much higher.
And if money is not an issue then buying a sliding propshaft is a simple solution for a live axle.
But i thought we where building locosts??

Borken

ChrisJLW

posted on 28/7/04 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Jeesh I get 125hp out of my 4-AGE, with a couple of bolt ons. Looks like that may be the way to go.

I did it side-ah-ways.

mackie

posted on 28/7/04 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the 4AGE gave about 130bhp stock?
It's a 1600cc twin cam is it not?
I'd go with the toyota engine and sierra donor if I was in your position I think

ChrisJLW

posted on 29/7/04 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
It's more in the region of 120bhp, also remember that Japanese ponies are smaller than everyone elses!

I did it side-ah-ways.

violentblue

posted on 30/7/04 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote
4AGZE is always a good option, 140hp but gobbs of torque down low.

a few pics of my other projects

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.