Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making Side Screens
myke pocock

posted on 24/7/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Making Side Screens

Now that I am well on with the manufacture of my half hood following NickMK's excellent post recently I am looking at side screens. Does anyone know if there has ever been information posted on how to make them?

This is how I have secured my rear straps. Thought I could use the D loops to secure luggage also if needed. All the various clips and strap were bought off ebay as was the sewing machine! Cost so far including the sewing machine and support bar is just under eighty quid. Mind you, the Boss will probably want curtains making now.

I have fitted an alloy bar from the screen to the roll bar. The socket in the roll bar is a nut insert and I turned up a steel pin to fit into the tube and the nut insert. I did a similar thing at the front end but just drilled a shallow hole into the screen frame. I reasoned I didnt need anything more positive to hold the bar in place as I slightly push the screen forward to locate the bar and wind pressure on the screen will keep it in place. A road test will confirm this I hope!!!

rusty nuts

posted on 24/7/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good but I'm not sure that curtains would look right on a 7.
whitestu

posted on 24/7/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've just made some sidescreens out of 2mm polycarbonate with ali strip to reinforce them. They seem OK and were cheap / easy to make.

They are also light which my previous ones were not.

Stu

Antnicuk

posted on 24/7/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought 4mm poly carbonate from ebay, the place cut it for me to the right height so i just had to cut the sides with a jig saw and then sanded the edges. 4mm meant i needed no support bar.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

myke pocock

posted on 24/7/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Quote; but I'm not sure that curtains would look right on a 7. Blo*dy good job I didnt tell you about the parquet flooring and chanderliere then!!!!
NickMK

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Great looking Half hood! I'm glad my post was helpful.

Really like your idea using the rivnut. I might have to modify mine now. Any chance of I can pay you to turn a steel pin for me too?

In regards to the side screens I bought mine second hand from MK, but on inspection you could make them yourself. All they are is a steel frame with fabric sewn over the top.

Cheers

Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.