Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: handing in your notice
theconrodkid

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
handing in your notice

ok peeps,whats the procedure for handing in you notice,wander up to the office and tell them what you really think of them or be polite?.
i already have a new job to go to so no need for a reference

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

zilspeed

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Always always always be polite.

If you do so and hand it over with a smile, you've won.

If they're upset, it takes two to have an argument, which you won't give them the pleasure of.

Nicely worded letter, handed in advising them of your intentions.

Goodnight, Vienna.

Even if I hated the job and had just had the big lottery win, I still wouldn't tell them to shove it.

Humbug

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would not burn any bridges... these days, especially, you never know when either you might want to go back (maybe unlikely) or if someone you know will turn up somewhere else you work or want to work. I would a) tell them in person b) put it in writing (bare facts e.g. "this is to give X weeks/months notice as required, so I intend to leave on DATE" and c) if asked, tell them where there is "room for improvement"

All IMHO, of course!

[Edited on 24.07.2011 by Humbug]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Politely ask your manager if you can speak to them in private.

Tell them politely that you are leaving and why.

Then type up a very breif letter of notice, sign it and hand it over.

No need to annoy anyone or burn any bridges, you will probably have a chance to legitimately air any greivance in an exit interview.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
r1_pete

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Its usually wanted in writing, a simple 'I wish to terminate my employment with .......... please consider (insert current date) to be the comencement of my x weeks notice period, less any holiday entitlement accrued.....' should do the trick, all addressed and employee number referenced, and signed etc....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.i-resign.com/

[Edited on 24/7/11 by stevebubs]

plentywahalla

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Remember you may not need a reference for your new job ... But you may need one for the next, most employers ask for two.

Never make unnecessary enemies.

big_wasa

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
You must put it in writing. Allways helps to be nice even if you want to slap them. There was a hold up on my current job and my last boss was more than happy to keep me on untill I was ready.
designer

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Always leave so you can go back.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabs

posted on 24/7/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Remember to be nice to people on the way up as you may meet them on the way down - lol
smart51

posted on 24/7/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
A guy I used to work with until recently hates his new job and wants to leave. Burn your bridges and you can never come back. Even if you don't want to now, who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Kwik

posted on 24/7/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
burnt my bridge. it was only part time saturday job thing, but was treated awfully, some weeks if it was not busy i would only do 1 hour, yet be there for 6 "in case it got busy" this is all completely legal as it was in the contract, that they didnt ask me to sign. i had enough, wasnt earning the petrol money it took to drive there and made sure they knew how i felt...

week later a day before my last shift and i get a text saying the company had shut down due to a CEO taking the money and fleeing the country. felt bad for my co workers but im sure they could get another job in the new place that opened there, which a few of them did, by then i had another job and haven't looked back.

in hindsight i wouldn't have burnt my bridge but it was going on for a good few months and i had had enough...

Ninehigh

posted on 24/7/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've never told anyone why I'm leaving, except for "I've had an offer I can't refuse"

Like a boss I don't want to punch out

Brook_lands

posted on 24/7/11 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
All good advice - I have had two occasions where employees have got new jobs and handed their notice in and then it has all gone pear shaped for them.

1st one gave me a weeks notice on the Monday, left Friday, phoned me 10am the following Monday to say the new job had fallen through, started back with me Tuesday.

2nd guy was a sales rep, gave me a months notice which he had to do in his contact. On the third week he got a letter from his new company giving him notice for the job he hadn't even started and including a cheque for 1 months pay in lieu of notice. I tore up his resignation letter (with his permission) he had a 2 week holiday in the USA with his windfall and we never spoke of it again.

If either of these guys had not been civil and professional in they way they handled their resignations I would not have had them back.

bassett

posted on 24/7/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
As pretty much all the above state leave on good terms by arranging a private meeting with your boss along with your resignation letter. Two main reasons for me are that you might have to go back to them if say the new job is terrible/you never start or something else and secondly if your leaving just for money they might make a real tempting offer to keep you like a recent colleague of mine was offered upto £10k to stay but his new job was still £5k more. He left but mainly because he needs the money for family-kids and a home but for many im sure it would be enough to make you stay as its easy and your already comfortable.
theconrodkid

posted on 25/7/11 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for all your advice peeps,i will be printing off a "i resign" template and handing it in today

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

JoelP

posted on 25/7/11 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
i recently approached a company i used to contract for 5 years ago, and although i thought the bridges well and truely burnt (the lad i worked with didnt pay for a kitchen he had off them!), they were happy to sign me up again. When i left i was sure i wanted nothing to do with them, but it turned out to be a case of greener grass - should never have left!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

RichardK

posted on 25/7/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Always be polite and try really hard not to burn bridges as has been said as you may never want to go back but you never know what the future holds and you may have to... Also in the future prospective employers may be asking them for a reference.

Here is my recent resignation letter if you're interested as most of you will now we're off to Oz in Oct.

Dear Adrian

As required by my contract of employment, I hereby give you 3 months notice of my intention to leave my position as Technical Services Manager at Ben Johnson Ltd.

I have decided that it is now time to move on and I have accepted a position elsewhere.

You can imagine, after nearly 20 years service (Sept 4th) this wasn’t an easy decision and took a lot of careful consideration, however I’m confident that my new role will help me move towards some of the goals I have for my work, life balance. You always said “Do what you’ve always done, and you’ll get what you’ve always got”.

Please be assured that I will do all I can to assist in the smooth transfer of my roles and responsibilities before leaving. I fully understand that we’ll have to discuss my exit in detail, if you would like me to be part of the recruitment process I would very much like to be a part of that campaign.

I wish both you and Ben Johnson Ltd all the luck in the world and would like to thank you for having me as part of your senior management team, I am also so grateful for all of the support you’ve given me during your watch.

I consider many of my colleagues as personal friends, you and your family are very much included in that group and I will miss you all very much and hope you may even come across to Australia to visit us.

Yours sincerely

Richard Kilmartin
Technical Services Manager
Ben Johnson Ltd

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.