Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rubbish films
LBMEFM

posted on 26/7/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Rubbish films

Watching an American program the other afternoon about classic sports car racing I was very irritated by the flashing from driver interview, to the race, to car close up, back to the driver interview etc to the point where I switchd off. The only conclusion I can think of is that the director did not understand racing so decided to make it more "interesting". This then got me thinking how badly motorsport is represented by the cinema. So I would like to nominate the 1980's film The Silver Dream Racer with David Essex for the most appaling acting and weak story line ever. Please nominate yours. Then we can have a poll to decide the Locost worst motorsport film of all time. Barry
JoelP

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
the one with tom cruise. In fact any film that misrepresents gear changes so badly.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeRJ

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
the one with tom cruise. In fact any film that misrepresents gear changes so badly.

How about the Terminator film with the kid on the dirt bike that appears to have about 60 gears?

flibble

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Might have been called "Driver"? Sly stallone in an F1 type car, last lap a front wheel/wishbones smash off in a crash, still manages the last lap and overtakes the leader to win whilst on 3 wheels.... (something like that anyway)!

[Edited on 26-7-11 by flibble]

Ninehigh

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

How about the Terminator film with the kid on the dirt bike that appears to have about 60 gears?

Most programs have that... Americans don't understand gearchanging... Those in Hollywood think it means getting a new dealer

wylliezx9r

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I nominate the fast and the furious films, the cars ain't half got trick gearboxes they ve got about 50 ratios.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

flibble

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dohh, i got my description of "Driven" a smidge wrong, bad memory, but HERE is an example of the badness.
McLannahan

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Days of thunder?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099371/

Furyous

posted on 26/7/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flibble
Dohh, i got my description of "Driven" a smidge wrong, bad memory, but HERE is an example of the badness.

But he was later disqualified for endangering other drivers and spectators.

Ninehigh

posted on 26/7/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
I nominate the fast and the furious films, the cars ain't half got trick gearboxes they ve got about 50 ratios.

To be fair they're not meant to be good films, I mean that guy's first car fell apart at 110mph, my diesel mondeo can do that without risk of a Flintstone's floor

norfolkluego

posted on 26/7/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cars!

I mean, how realistic is that film

morcus

posted on 27/7/11 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
Of the fast and the furious franchise tokyo drift has to be the worst for the end race alone.
Both of them are racing to not get exiled and spend an implied fortune and age preping the cars yet they still feel the need to take every corner/straight side ways.

not a bad Movie per se but the motor sport elements of the Classic Viva Las Vegas are a bit weird. The movie is awesome though.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

eddie99

posted on 27/7/11 at 04:27 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say Days of Thunder is a lot worst than any of the fast and furious films
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Miks15

posted on 27/7/11 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Most films with a race seen are done unrealistically tbh. I do love how just by giving the other driver a scary look and then changing gear seems to give most cars an extra 100 BHP.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/7/11 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
So I would like to nominate the 1980's film The Silver Dream Racer with David Essex for the most appaling acting and weak story line ever.

How dare you! Silver Dream Racer is a must watch film for any Motorsport fan!

Classic David Essex acting, speed-up driving sequences and a touch of good-ol-fashioned family racism all combine to make a 70's masterpiece.

Personally the worst motorsport film is Driven, Days of Thunder is actually a really enjoyable film if not wholey accurate.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 27/7/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
I'd say Days of Thunder is a lot worst than any of the fast and furious films

I couldnt argue more...

the lines of 'Granny shifting, not double-clutching like you should'
along with the street race that goes for about 5 mins with countless gearchanges, passing the same parked cars etc etc.
Floors falling out because they are held on with 4 small bolts.

All FnF are lamer and id rather sit thru multiple showings DoT that watch all of the FnF movies!

What really annoys me with most american shows, car orientated or not, is the terrible editing to make an good/average subject seem more exciting or edgy.
Like the cop programs where they repeat the sequence in slow mo with added tyre squeal and the instance on digitally zooming into parts of the recorded video.

[Edited on 27/7/11 by loggyboy]

Fred W B

posted on 27/7/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

1980's film The Silver Dream Racer

When I and a bunch of bike riding mates went to see it when it was current (yes I am that old) , it wasn't helped at all by the fact that the cinema decided to show some news/documentry footage of current GP bike racing (think Freddy Spencer et al) as part of the pre main feature progamme. The awesome racing / speed made the "racing" in the SDR film look so slow!

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Steve Hignett

posted on 28/7/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Biker Boyz?
Craigman9

posted on 28/7/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
THE CORE, disgraceful...........
MikeR

posted on 28/7/11 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
gone in 60 seconds - just for the crap they spout whilst waiting to steal a car and trying to talk sexy!!!!
Simon

posted on 29/7/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
The worst; possibly

Deathrace 2000

ATB

Simon

scootz

posted on 29/7/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
The worst; possibly

Deathrace 2000

ATB

Simon

Noooooooo... that's a classic!

It's Evolution Baby!

Gordy

posted on 29/7/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Always found Herbie films a bit unrealistic!
loggyboy

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
gone in 60 seconds - just for the crap they spout whilst waiting to steal a car and trying to talk sexy!!!!

Yeah, you woudnt want to disrupt the syncro mesh!!

however it does have a great one line from the copper 'are you ok??? - cuz youve just been through a wall'

lol at that everytime.

[Edited on 29/7/11 by loggyboy]

Browser

posted on 2/9/11 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
American Flyers, the Soviet cyclist is waaaayyy to heavy to be competitive.......

The Gumball Rally, there is a night-time lead-swapping sequence between a Ferrari 365 GTB4 (Daytona) and a 427 AC Cobra in which it is painfully obvious they are doing about 40-50 mph. That and the speeded-up Camaro going around bends bit.
Ditto the First Cannonball Run film, the two (admittedly very tasty) drivers of the Countach saying to one of the other cometitors w.r.t the police' ability to catch them "at 220 mph, they won't get a second glance", 'cos everyone knows federalised-spec Countach's were that fast (not).

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.