Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine
boost

posted on 29/7/04 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
engine

ok i was thinking of turboing my xflow but it would cost me about £1000 to do it right (160 bhp) so im thinking of a toyota 1600 16v but im looking for a gearbox for rwd the only one i can think of is the old corola but the gearboxes are very hard to get hold of

is there anuther toyota gearbox that will bolt stright on (it must be 5 speed).

i dont realy want to mess about having plates made up for a type 9

ChrisJLW

posted on 29/7/04 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
www.fensport.co.uk may have some RWD corolla boxes in stock, they also do adaptor bell housings for the type 9. If you want any info on turbo charging a 4-age have a look on www.mr2oc.com, although you may be better off sourcing a 4-AGZE.

HTH

Chris

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

fuzzy1

posted on 29/7/04 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota engine

Hi,
Raw Engineering do a bell housing and clutch plate to mate to a type 9 box.
The RWD converstion kit is around £400.
They also do a track pack upgrade for the toyota twin cam that produces around 165bhp.

albertz

posted on 29/7/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Boost,

I know that you said you do not want to mess about with conversion bellhousings etc. If this is because of the price then i may be able to help you. I have sucessfully joined the standard Ford Type 9 bellhousing to the standard Toyota FWD bellhousing (easily obtained), to form a conversion. This uses a readily available spigot bearing, the Sierra clutch plate and the rest of the clutch is the Toyota. The benefits of this are that the original hydraulic clutch can be re-used.

Believe me, this is not as difficult as it sounds. Rather than cutting and joing two together, it is more a case of adding a slice of the Ford one onto the Toyota i.e. the flange. Considering as you will probably get the Toyota FWD bellhousing with the engine and the Ford one with the gearbox, it will only cost you some time and effort - that is if you can TIG weld.

I can send you some photos to explain, if you are interested.

Just a thought.

ChrisJLW

posted on 29/7/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Albertz I would certainly be interested (have a knackered MR gearbox in the garage)

Fuzzy1 although I don't want to bring up the old carbs vs EFI debate, for the price of buying and upgrading a 4-AGE with carbs you can buy probably buy a newer phase 2 AGZE or even the 20V which come with that kind of output as stock.

Admitedly I'm being highly hypocritical as I will be running a standard phase 2 4-AGE and upgrading cams and injectors eventually! (can't afford the initial outlay at the mo).

HTH

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

Rob Lane

posted on 30/7/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Albert,

Any pics of conversion ?

Rob Lane
www.robs7.com

[Edited on 30/7/04 by Rob Lane]

boost

posted on 30/7/04 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
if you could post some pics. that would be ace.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/7/04 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
when I was looking to convert my xj-s auto to manual, a company in aus sold a bell housing AND a toyota supra box that was gonna be sea freighted from australia. It wasnt as scary in cost as it thought (about 80 quid for freight - 3 months delivery tho!).

my point is, that before you go unstandard, I wonder if its worth looking into getting a (T50?) box imported..... its probably gonna be cheaper than adaptors and stuff.

the locost australia list might be worht asking for sources - they use the T50 and 4AGE combo all the time.

http://groups.yahoo.com

search on locost

usa might be worth trying too......

atb

steve

albertz

posted on 30/7/04 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I can post some pictures, but what is the easiest format or way to post the pictures? At the moment the files are jpegs but anytime i have tried to upload them it takes ages and they end up massive on the screen.

Whats the easiest way?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.